Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dumping people by text? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I've done it, yes. Or rather, he asked me out, I told him I wasn't sure, we had another date and then I told him by text I didn't want a relationship. He then wouldn't stop texting me.
    I think this is acceptable. It's only really dumping after a few dates and some mutual understanding you're in a relationship. Still think face to face is best in dating matters wherever possible..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    I think this is acceptable. It's only really dumping after a few dates and some mutual understanding you're in a relationship. Still think face to face is best in dating matters wherever possible..
    Thanks. I am too much of a wimp to do it face to face. And because knowing him, he would just try to get me to actually date him.

If it was serious, I probably would have done it face to face.

ReputationRep:
    I've had it done to me after a 5 month relationship and it's horrible. You don't get a chance to say/ask anything and you don't really get any closure. Don't do it unless the other person has done anything unforgivable imo.
    • TSR Support Team

I personally think it is rather cruel doing it by text, least have the guts to do it face to face.

ReputationRep:
    Women just get emotional over everything now days.
    Dumping by text is fine

ReputationRep:
    The only way I would agree with it would be if the person dumping them feels like they are in danger e.g. leaving an abusive relationship, otherwise it's disrespectful and doesn't let the other person have their "say" in the matter.

ReputationRep:
    I've had it done to me a few times and, admittedly, have done so myself.

Ultimately, I left my ex-boyfriend via text message. I'd tried, repeatedly, to end the relationship in person and he had always managed to successfully blackmail me into giving him 'one last chance'. In the end, I finished with him by text, more to spare myself a guilt trip than anything else. As a rule, though, I think it's pretty selfish and have always endeavoured to go about ending relationships face-to-face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilypear)
    I think it's a cowardly way to break up with someone and you should do it face to face.
    Amen!

ReputationRep:
    I've never done it, I think it's better to do it face by face.
    I'm not sure why people would dump by text, maybe they have a reason - but it's not something I would personally do.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.