Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    For someone who is going to dental school this year you are awfully silly. I told you earlier that you can make up the application in other ways, I person above is a clear indicator. Can we just stop this because I am clearly right and you are just repeating yourself.
    Are you reading my posts? I said that the whole application is what is important. You can make up for worse gcses, as ive already said. But that doesnt make up for the fact that they are worse gcse grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    Are you reading my posts? I said that the whole application is what is important. You can make up for worse gcses, as ive already said. But that doesnt make up for the fact that they are worse gcse grades
    I give up on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    My point was that minimum entry requirements do not mean that they are 'fine' for the course. You had exceptional work exp/volunteering and A level predictions - this would have obviously balanced out your GCSE grades, which again, are not bad at all.
    Some of the unis will substitute 'worse' GCSE grades with a higher UKCAT.
    Its the overall application that matters, I was just saying the averages
    Yeah dw I wasn't on about you

OP:
    The point of competition is also an important one and don't forget that! Remember never to be too confident (that goes with any dental school applicant) because it does also depend on what the other applicants are like. If every applicant has 10A*s and matches you on every other aspect then it's more likely to be them rather than you but I think if you meet the requirements it's worth a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    Thank you finally some who can see reason!

Also congratulations on getting into Birmingham, I believe that they place a high value on GCSEs so you must have a very strong application! It sounds like you do. When did you start to get your voluntary work and such? Did you take a gap year?
    Thanks it was a few years ago so I guess that makes a difference. It was the year the fees went up and overall uni applications dropped by 10% I have also just remembered that the number of dental school student places has now dropped/is about to drop so the competition will increase. Please remember that (Please also see the post I just posted on here for stuff on competition)

Anyway..
    I started volunteering when I was 15 I think. I also started work experience when I was about 16 ish if I remember correctly because I didn't want to take a gap year so I had to fit it all in early. Plus competition for work experience was high as well, especially at the hospital!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfcforever)
    Hi guys I am currently doing my AS levels (actually I've just finished them), and wanting to dentistry in the future. I was wondering however if my GCSE grades are good enough, as many candidates that have lots of A*s, and I well.....don't.

My grades were:

Physics- A*
    Biology-A (5 away from A*)
    Chemistry-A ( 1 away from A*)
    Maths- A
    Geography-A
    English language- A
    English literature-A
    RS-A
    Spanish-B
    OCR ICT- Merit (equivalent of a B)

Any advice would be appreciated.
    what are your AS subjects? how did u find the exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenniferann232)
    Thanks it was a few years ago so I guess that makes a difference. It was the year the fees went up and overall uni applications dropped by 10% I have also just remembered that the number of dental school student places has now dropped/is about to drop so the competition will increase. Please remember that (Please also see the post I just posted on here for stuff on competition)

Anyway..
    I started volunteering when I was 15 I think. I also started work experience when I was about 16 ish if I remember correctly because I didn't want to take a gap year so I had to fit it all in early. Plus competition for work experience was high as well, especially at the hospital!
    Interesting thank you very much You probably should have more confidence in yourself though, it sounds like you are just making excuses for how you got it. Even though we can see form you A-Levels that you are very competent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenniferann232)
    Yeah dw I wasn't on about you

OP:
    The point of competition is also an important one and don't forget that! Remember never to be too confident (that goes with any dental school applicant) because it does also depend on what the other applicants are like. If every applicant has 10A*s and matches you on every other aspect then it's more likely to be them rather than you but I think if you meet the requirements it's worth a go.
    How difficult is the course? In comparison to others in your halls for example

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.