Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guren)
    Their isn't a strong argument against it for medicine uses, cannabis is much better than a depression pill that can cause so many side effects like wanting to commit suicide.

But for normal use, the reason it isn't legalized is because they say it becomes socially acceptable, which leads onto harder drugs which are not socially acceptable in order to look cool or get a stronger fix, and they like heroin have much worse effects.
    People typically don't start with weed and work their way up to heroin. It's not particularly uncommon for weed users to start trying other soft drugs like MDMA and LSD but I don't see anything wrong with that. Heroin users usually start out hooked on prescription drugs and other opiates. They're really in completely different worlds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Day Lepers)
    Yeah well that's a libertarian approach to it then I suppose. But then you'd have to treat all vices the same. People that get diabetes and illnesses from overconsumption of food, people that get ill from smoking, people that get injured from dangerous recreational sports etc. We're not a libertarian country though.
    which is a damn shame
    (and I agree that all drugs should be legalised)

ReputationRep:
    Since legalising weed in Colorado there has been a 10% drop in crime, a 5% drop in violent crime and millions of dollars of extra tax revenue that has been put into local schools. Does this sound like a bad thing to anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guren)
    Their isn't a strong argument against it for medicine uses, cannabis is much better than a depression pill that can cause so many side effects like wanting to commit suicide.

But for normal use, the reason it isn't legalized is because they say it becomes socially acceptable, which leads onto harder drugs which are not socially acceptable in order to look cool or get a stronger fix, and they like heroin have much worse effects.

This argument is nothing more than a slippery slope fallacy that has been shown time and time again to be nothing but sensationalised rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    The arguments seem to be 'I don't like it so keep it illegal'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    The arguments seem to be 'I don't like it so keep it illegal'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And yet they are amazingly the people in power who get to make the decisions, despite having that mentality of a stubborn child.

Or just the typical ignore the countless proven studies which prove benefits of Cannabis, just then quote one heavily biased study and suggest that combats all of the benefits. They don't even listen to any arguments though, they sacked an official drug adviser (David Nutt) a couple of years back just for simply trying to debate the topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JG1233)
    And yet they are amazingly the people in power who get to make the decisions, despite having that mentality of a stubborn child.

Or just the typical ignore the countless proven studies which prove benefits of Cannabis, just then quote one heavily biased study and suggest that combats all of the benefits. They don't even listen to any arguments though, they sacked an official drug adviser (David Nutt) a couple of years back just for simply trying to debate the topic.
    They are just stubborn children. They should just lock up all the prohobitionists and chuck away the many keys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Of course it should - the main reason being because it is so much safer than alcohol not to mention cigarettes... marijuana is a great alternative to either of these.
    I could go on to discuss the fact that it is not addictive AT ALL or the many medical potentials of marijuana - but id rather have a smoke.

#EverythingInModeration

-Lewis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minju)
    No weed causes psychosis and other mental health issues,we have enough problems with alcohol and cigarettes we don't need more..
    There's no evidence that weed causes enduring psychosis. There is a correlation between cannabis use and psychosis, but the causal link has not been established, and there are numerous competing hypotheses concerning psychosis, including one which posits that people with psychosis are more likely to take cannabis, explaining the correlation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Since legalising weed in Colorado there has been a 10% drop in crime, a 5% drop in violent crime and millions of dollars of extra tax revenue that has been put into local schools. Does this sound like a bad thing to anyone?
    Our government has already made it perfectly clear that it has no interest in facts and science, and instead prefers to base it's policies on hearsay and tradition.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think people who are too seriously into the legalization of weed are probably a bit too into it.

It's just a mild drug, it's really not worth the fuss.

But that's just entirely my own opinion. I don't care one way or the other if it's legalised. Half the fun of it is probably that it's sorta forbidden but not terribly serious.

Credentials: I've smoked it from time to time myself. It was okay, never had a 'bad' trip if you can call it a trip but never really found it spectacular either. A less groggy tipsy drunk.Alcohol is more fun actually.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying this is accurate bit I've just read through this: http://www.drugabuse.gov/publication...our-brain-body
    And numerous other studies have linked marijuana to changes in brain structure, one I read specifically mentioned white matter, so for me I wouldn't ever smoke the stuff. But I will agree that there would be better regulations if it was legalised, it could be taxed, plus arguably it is a person's decision to take the risk of brain damage, alcohol is also linked to brain damage and that's legal. But people going on about weed being harmless, from my (admittedly brief) research, it's not necessarily as safe as some people say. It's difficult to say yes or no for legalisation because there is an awful lot of cons as well as pros.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The legalization of Cannabis will never happen within this Government or the next. The Drug is a class B and still carrys up to 5yrs in prison for possession, and that's just Laughable!. The Government deem it as dangerous as Amphetamines, barbiturates, codeine, ketamine, methylphenidate (Ritalin), synthetic cannabinoids, synthetic cathinones (eg mephedrone, methoxetamine)

And yet considers Anabolic steroids, benzodiazepines (diazepam), gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB), gamma-butyrolactone (GBL), piperazines (BZP), khat less of a threat!

GHB,and GBL are drugs intentionally used as a incapacitating agent to assist in the execution of drug facilitated sexual assault! (up to 2yrs in prison for possession) So the the whole class system just show's how ignorant they have become to this subject.

I've been in Love with Mary Jane for 12 years <3 and She has never done me any Mental or physical harm.
    Though people who suffer from mental illness/psychosis are drawn to smoking Weed. The Drug does not give them the illness this already exist's within them. But at the same time Smoking Weed will not help these people It has however been proven to help Cancer patients over and over gain.

So i agree that it should be legalized to some degree but more on the growing side. Maybe something like 1 or 2 plants per household. I mean who enjoys scoring from some youth who thinks he's dangerous and has just served up the local sugar poof toothed crack head a few seconds before you. I know i don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godn9)
    The legalization of Cannabis will never happen within this Government or the next.
    It wont likely happen for decades.

As you've mentioned its still a class B, and the government only recently sacked their drug adviser David Nutt for trying to debate the issue.

That combined with the fact doctors are now trying to ban tobacco to people born after the year 2000, its clear our current government has a vendetta surrounding cannabis and smoking in general and that wont change in a hurry. The only way i could see it being legalized within the UK is after the majority of US states have, and multiple (probably majority) of other countries in Europe have as well.

ReputationRep:
    I've never smoked i don't ever want to. Theoretically speaking i can agree that it would be very good for the economy legalised cannabis would be subject to government regulation and taxable - increases government tax revenue to fund for public spending

In real life however, these economic benefits would be far outweighed by the detrimental social impact of cannibis use. i say this as someone with 2 pothead uncles who steal from family to get their weed and it's also really messed with their brains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoaPowder)
    I've never smoked i don't ever want to. Theoretically speaking i can agree that it would be very good for the economy legalised cannabis would be subject to government regulation and taxable - increases government tax revenue to fund for public spending

In real life however, these economic benefits would be far outweighed by the detrimental social impact of cannibis use. i say this as someone with 2 pothead uncles who steal from family to get their weed and it's also really messed with their brains.
    Surely thats a reason to legalize it?

It being illegal doesn't stop people smoking it, but if its legalized and people can grow their own within the house they wouldn't have to spend money going to dealers spending money. However people stealing to buy weed is a extreme example, and not really relevant to the vast majority of smokers.

ReputationRep:

I think its unfair to blame marijuana for your 'pothead uncles' behaviour, if people are going to steal or behave badly they would do it with or without weed.

ReputationRep:
    It's not any worse for your health than alcohol or normal tobacco. But because anyone can grow it, the government can't tax it and make profit from it. That's the only reason it's illegal.

ReputationRep:

This would be on par with saying you don't think alcohol should be legal because you have 2 alcohol uncles who steal from family to buy alcohol.

There will always be scum bags and there will always be addicts, but that doesn't mean something should necessarily be illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Sure legalise it,but with freedom comes responsibility. Now i dont indulge in the new freedoms and i dont want to have clouds of cannabis fumes inflicted on me on public transport or in other peoples homes.

I also resent having to be exposed to it when passing a pot head in the street or when the fumes are being emitted from a passing car.

But if you want to be a pot head just go right ahead.

I know it doesnt happen to everyone but pot can mess with your mind and set you on the path to other substances.

I have known people in the past who had normal jobs and lives, who sought enlightenment in cannabis and who ended up as soul less ,homeless,penniless bag rate heroin junkies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.