Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Lyricist of the 20th Century Watch

ReputationRep:
    Elliott Smith

ReputationRep:
    There are more far more average singers than great singers in this world, so actually I think you'll find the onus is the one professing a singer's vocal greatness, rather than the one professing their mediocrity.

I'll desist from replying further until you can provide some statistical evidence (lists from magazines aren't evidence, by the way) that the majority think Bob Dylan has a great voice. It doesn't exist though, so good luck with that. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    There are more far more average singers than great singers in this world, so actually I think you'll find the onus is the one professing a singer's vocal greatness, rather than the one professing their mediocrity.

I'll desist from replying further until you can provide some statistical evidence (lists from magazines aren't evidence, by the way) that the majority think Bob Dylan has a great voice. It doesn't exist though, so good luck with that. :yy:
    There's also no statistical evidence to back up the claim that "most people" think he has an average voice either. Also I'd say a list from one of the industry's most reputable magazines compile by 197 industry professionals who are paid because they know about this sort of thing has some weight in an argument about who the greatest singer in the world. Obviously it's not proof in itself but it's a significant point of reference from a sample.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    His music is great but he's not the best singer.
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    Dylan

Even if his voice isn't so great
    Many hate the Dylan voice—Joyce Carol Oates, in one of her less felicitous similes, said it was "as if sandpaper could sing"—but it is in the end inseparable from the glory of his best work. Nothing demonstrates this better than attempts by others to cover him. Take the Byrds' version of "Mr. Tambourine Man" – please: it makes one of the finest entries in the Dylan songbook sound like it was written by the Monkees.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...friend/307647/

ReputationRep:
    Bob Dylan. I don't think that he's a bad singer, but not particularly good - he's about average. But his lyrics are brilliant, they're definitely what make his songs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.