Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiloMilo)
    Does anyone have information on the way GAMSAT is used during the interview process. Flicking through last years thread, it seems people were of the opinion it had a weighting alongside interview score as to whether or not you got an offer. Can anyone enlighten us?
    Banded by interview then ranked within bands by GAMSAT score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Banded by interview then ranked within bands by GAMSAT score.
    Ah I see, so if you have a reasonable interview then your GAMSAT might take you over the line?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiloMilo)
    Ah I see, so if you have a reasonable interview then your GAMSAT might take you over the line?
    From what I'm aware, the highest band interviews will get offers. The majority/all get offers in the band below. So a good GAMSAT score could make up for an average/slightly better than average interview. But not a poorer interview, if that makes any sense; as the interview is still the main factor in deciding between candidates.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I had responded to this thread already!

I am applying for GEM 2015 at Nottingham and it will be #1 pick. Good luck to everybody with their GAMSAT exams next month!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone planning to go to the open day in October? I'm thinking about booking onto it if they still have spaces so that I can go and ask questions and make sure all of my information is up to date but I'd feel a bit guilty about doing that as I've already been to one last year.

ReputationRep:
    Hey M150, I'm booked onto the GEM open day in October, thought it would be interesting, I heard about the course at the RSM event and fell in love with the course. It would be good to hear more about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M150)
    Is anyone planning to go to the open day in October? I'm thinking about booking onto it if they still have spaces so that I can go and ask questions and make sure all of my information is up to date but I'd feel a bit guilty about doing that as I've already been to one last year.
    I’m in the same boat as you. I went to an open day in May last year but am keen to know what the latest information is, esp with regards to what they expect for work experience. They idea of having equivalent to 4 months full time HCA is very scary

So I have applied for the October open day too.

ReputationRep:
    When I went to the Open Day earlier this year the main message behind work experience was what you learnt from it, not how much you did.

They said they had turned down HCAs with around a years experience because they didn't learn anything from their time there.

They also stated that they would rather see long term commitment over bursts of days/weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the GAMSAT cut off last year?

ReputationRep:
    59 for 2i+ and 64 for 2ii

Minimum scores of:
    55 in s2
    55 in either S1 or S3
    50 in other S1 or S3

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd introduce myself as a fellow Nottingham applicant this year.

About to start my 4th year in Chemistry and am currently volunteering at a hospital whilst shadowing junior doctors.

Hope everyone's GAMSAT revision os going okay! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Men)
    Hi everyone!

About to start my 4th year in Chemistry and am currently volunteering at a hospital whilst shadowing junior doctors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Welcome to the thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Men)
    Hi everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Welcome! Saw your posts on the Swansea and George's threads too, I'm applying to them too have you already sat the GAMSAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttoned.up)
    Welcome! Saw your posts on the Swansea and George's threads too, I'm applying to them too have you already sat the GAMSAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not sat it yet but been revising like crazy. Have you done it before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking Notts don't really bother with the PS? I just don't have the time to balance this, GAMSAT and work :/ Though I do want the application finished soon, so that referee has time to write a decent reference...

ReputationRep:
    Don't think they are too bothered about it. As I recall from the open day they check it either after interviews or after they've made their decisions about applicants.

You can still get your UCAS reference without completing your PS though. I've sent my reference request off without uploading my PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    Don't think they are too bothered about it. As I recall from the open day they check it after either interviews or after they've made their decisions about applicants.

You can still get your UCAS reference without completing your PS though. I've sent my reference request off without uploading my PS.
    I know, but I'd like my referee to have it when she writes the reference. If nothing else it should explain my reasoning for medicine and give her a better insight on why I'm applying.
    It would have been so much easier, in so many more ways than just competition ratios, to have done this when leaving school 5 years ago :/

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Im glad to join this thread, I'm a potential notts applicant too

Starting my third year of Clinical biochem

Sitting the GAMSAT next week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atz)
    Hey!

Im glad to join this thread, I'm a potential notts applicant too

Starting my third year of Clinical biochem

Sitting the GAMSAT next week!
    Good luck, and welcome

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Did anyone go to the gem open day last Saturday?

If so what did you think of it?

I absolutely loved it there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.