Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sixth Form choices - Friends or Dreams Watch

ReputationRep:
    My choice was between friends and a college, or a private school with no friends.

I chose the latter and don't regret it at all, made some awesome friends.

But in your case, I'd stick with the first because second best is decent enough, and A Levels aren't too hard! And as you said, it'd just be like normal.

ReputationRep:
    Fwiw, it's been almost 10 years since I left secondary school, and my best friends are still the same, despite me moving away. Either of your choices is fine, but if I were you I'd stay put. My school usually had 2 Oxbridge acceptances per year... But in my year, it had 12, just because we were so smart and industrious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lokolika)
    Hmmm, people say that but do they really especially when A levels are so time consuming. My main problem is that I think that my mental health and grades could suffer if I left my friends before Uni. But obviously I can never know until I try. All 4 of my 10 year best friends will all be together and I will become the outsider.
    Well if you manage your time right, it is possible to handle a social life. Your friends sound very important to you but you have to learn to move on and focus on your future. As you said, you're very close to your friends so why would they make you the outsider?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you, I applied for 4 different colleges. 1 of which everyone else is going to but the other three are ones that I'm the only person applying for or very little going. I've fallen out with a lot of people over prom and college places so I'm going for dreams and going for the better college in order to make a better success of my life. As you've known these people for 10years it's a long friendship and I agree I wouldnt really want to go on your own I would stay with your friends. However If you went to the same place after that then you would into your different careers etc. Therefore you may not remain friends with the same people. If I was you I would say go for dreams because at this time it's about you now you're growing up and time to get into the life you want. At the end of the day it's your choice and depends what kind of person you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you know anyone who has kept in touch with high school friends after going to a different college. Was it awkward? or time consuming?
    My friends and I all went to different sixth forms but we still meet up every 2 months or so and still talk to each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Well if you manage your time right, it is possible to handle a social life. Your friends sound very important to you but you have to learn to move on and focus on your future. As you said, you're very close to your friends so why would they make you the outsider?
    It wouldn't be them making me the outsider it would just happen. If they go to the same school, know all the same people, see each other every day then naturally they will be closer. At weekends when I go out with them it would be likely that they would talk about people or events that would be more relevant to those in their school. They would end up having to explain back stories and stuff and in reality you would just 'know' at some point that you just don't belong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vee_wuvshugs)
    My friends and I all went to different sixth forms but we still meet up every 2 months or so and still talk to each other.
    OK that makes me feel a bit better. But would you say that your friendship had suffered as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaitlinN15)
    However If you went to the same place after that then you would into your different careers etc. Therefore you may not remain friends with the same people. If I was you I would say go for dreams because at this time it's about you now you're growing up and time to get into the life you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know that in Uni we would have to split up anyway but for example my mums best friend now was her high school and sixth form best friend. Even though I know I will have to leave them, when i imagine my future, as an adult I still see them there. weird I know and Im probably being to idealistic.
    Is it unrealistic to expect us still to be friends during and after Uni and if it is reasonable do you think that 2 years in sixth form would help to solidify our friendship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okkefac)
    How many Oxbridge applicants isn't really a measure as to how good the school is, is it? And even then, there isn't that much a difference between the two.

If you're more comfortable with your friends, and the teaching and stuff is good enough at the worse school, then go there.
    If you work harder at the worse school then it doesn't matter, you'll still get the great grades you need to go wherever you want.

Can you do taster days and such, because if you really hate the worse school, then I'd suggest the better even if your friends aren't there. If the worse one is still nice, but the better one is slightly better for you, then I think judging by your responses you could go to the worse one and still do well.

However if there is a large difference in quality of education (you make it sound like both are good, just one's a bit better) then I'd say go for the better one, if you're aiming high (like oxbridge or something).
    Yeah sorry, I know its not the best measure but overall the grades are slightly better in the latter as it is much smaller and a bit more selective. I only put oxbridge acceptances as it is a quick way to see the difference in teaching, attitude and ambition rather than putting percentages for each subject I want to take. Also its not just between these two schools, there are many 'better' schools that i'd also apply to but I still don't know whether if I offered a place I would ditch my friends.

I was just trying to get across that they are both very good but the latter is better.

I definitely want to aim for the top and apply to oxbridge and I want to do well in life. However, people always feel the need to tell me things like, do a job you like, money isn't everything and friends can make a world of difference. This is probably because of the way I come across so I just don't want to sacrifice the friendship that I 'love' for a marginal gain and then regret it later.

I've done a taster day at the first and although I really liked it it was still too close to home. I go to an all girls school with a boys school opposite so basically everyone from primary school who went to those secondary schools (practically everyone) will just be reunited again.

If I went to Cardinal Vaughn which is a boys school that accepts girls for sixth form then I can safely say that all the girls will be new and I know i should be able to make some friends. But as I said I've had my friends for 10 years so I'm not really that experiences with forming strong bonds with others but I still have decent social skills.

ReputationRep:
    I do have a friend who is dead set on going to a different sixth form but tbh she only has one close friend so its easy for her.
    The reason Im so hung up on the marginal difference is because I chose to go to my local secondary school that is very good but sometimes I think what if I was able to et a scholarship into a private school or go to a grammar school. Would I be smarter or happier? i don't really know. I just always thought that I would make up for it later and although I am doing this by aiming for 10 a *s at GCSE so I'm no different to people i know from grammar schools I don't know if I can continues this attitude for another 2 years.

Also I would have more time if I went my local school to study, pursue other interests and do wider reading for Uni applications as the journey would probably be 25 mins compared to 40 mins. not much difference. but i think that at the second they would have better uni systems as there are much less students and they see themselves as a bit 'prestigious' (teachers wear cloaks on special occasions) and so have higher expectations.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be them making me the outsider it would just happen. If they go to the same school, know all the same people, see each other every day then naturally they will be closer. At weekends when I go out with them it would be likely that they would talk about people or events that would be more relevant to those in their school. They would end up having to explain back stories and stuff and in reality you would just 'know' at some point that you just don't belong.
    Well really it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be split up with your friends at some point when you go to university, by not going to the better college you're just postponing it with the potential negative effect on your future. I went to a sixth form with all my friends while just one other went to a different one - I fell out with my friends, so its them plus this friend who went to a different college who stayed friends rather than that other friend falling away. Besides, you'll be able to make new friends surely?

ReputationRep:
    OK that makes me feel a bit better. But would you say that your friendship had suffered as a result.
    Not really. We had a friend who kinda wasn't really with us and didn't reply to any of our messages or anything. She only wanted to talk to us when we were going to a different city for shopping or something like that. We aren't friends with here any more. The good thing about going to a different sixth form it that you find out who your real friends are.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know anyone who has kept in touch with high school friends after going to a different college. Was it awkward? or time consuming?
    My best friend didn't go to the same college/sixth form as me yet we still see each other and make time for each other (obviously the fact that it's summer makes it easier). Just go to the one you feel like you would enjoy spending 2 years at. You'll probably only stay in contact with those people you're supposed to even if you were to carry on with your friends as people drift away and their interests change

Check out TSR Movie Madness

ReputationRep:
    Turns out that St Doms only got 5 into Oxbridge out of over 500 pupils whereas Cardinal Vaughn has far more but with a mush smaller school. I couldn't access their webpage for specifics, if you know please let me know!

new opinions

ReputationRep:
    You may be only going there for two years, but you can make close friends within a year. A girl joined my sixth form and me and her clicked quickly. By the end of the year we already knew everything about each other from history to future plans. We became so coliseum in that year that people ended up calling is brother and sister. She moved colleges for a2, but we still keep it touch via text Skype and meet ups.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Considering my college got 2 oxbridge acceptances out of 200 students (this year we're hoping for three acceptance out of four applicants) yet is in the bottom 20% of sixth forms in the country and gets contextual offers, I'd say it doesn't really matter where you go.
    You can still achieve well, and if you feel you learn better in a college where your friends are, then go there rather than looking at stats. You could be one of the 5 oxbridge acceptances in your year for all you know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.