The Student Room Group

What career do you intend to go into and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by xDave-
I'd like to work in something related to cosmology. Sadly, I realised this after doing a degree in linguistics, so I'm not sure that'll be possible. If you don't know, then don't rush into anything would be my advice. Well, don't rush into it when it involves sacrificing lots of time/money anyway.

That's a shame. Maybe you could still learn about cosmology. I'm sure there will be classes for people who already have degrees, no? Depends how badly you'd like to do cosmology however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by AdamCee
I could swear someone made an exact replica of this thread yesterday... Either way

Contract solicitor (I believe it's called) - law, but get to use languages yay

That's interesting :smile: I love languages. What languages do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophie !
Nice! :smile: Primary or secondary school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither, I want to teach college or A Level :biggrin:
I want to go into medical research because diseases absolutely fascinate me and I want to make some sort of positive impact on this world. I've not full decided what field yet but I'm thinking neuroepidimology, virology or parasitology. Though I am also fascinated by genetics and genetic diseases.

This is all still a dream however as I have yet to learn whether I am capable enough or even intelligent enough for such.
Reply 24
Original post by p.formanko
Hmm I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm from England where the most prestigious universities don't usually offer marketing courses - usually people do something loosely associated with marketing at university (a language, economics, I'm doing geography because it teaches tons of transferable skills) and then build their way up from there.

I did a "Young Enterprise" program at school but that's the furthest I've got :tongue:

I'm also from England too aha, yeah I'm still not 100% sure of where I'll apply to for university at undergraduate 2015. I'll probably think about it all this summer holiday

We all start from somewhere aha
Reply 25
Original post by SophieSmall
I want to go into medical research because diseases absolutely fascinate me and I want to make some sort of positive impact on this world. I've not full decided what field yet but I'm thinking neuroepidimology, virology or parasitology. Though I am also fascinated by genetics and genetic diseases.

This is all still a dream however as I have yet to learn whether I am capable enough or even intelligent enough for such.

I agree: that's a fascinating topic. I'm sure you're capable; if you work hard enough to reach your dream career, your effort will pay off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by kayleighisonfire
Neither, I want to teach college or A Level :biggrin:

Good choice. That age group is much less of a handful than kids!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheVth
I'm also from England too aha, yeah I'm still not 100% sure of where I'll apply to for university at undergraduate 2015. I'll probably think about it all this summer holiday

We all start from somewhere aha

When you get rich let me know and we can start a business :wink:
I agree: that's a fascinating topic. I'm sure you're capable; if you work hard enough to reach your dream career, your effort will pay off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile: lovely of you too say.
It's just it takes a certain mind for such research, you have to be full of ideas and think outside the box stuff like that. Sometimes my mind is stuck in a box :tongue:
Reply 29
Original post by SophieSmall
Thank you! :smile: lovely of you too say.
It's just it takes a certain mind for such research, you have to be full of ideas and think outside the box stuff like that. Sometimes my mind is stuck in a box :tongue:

Hehe :tongue: I'm sure it'll work out! Keep at it. :smile: I guess you can train your mind to work in certain ways though - to be more creative and to think outside the box… No idea how, though! Beats me! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
I'm kind of interested in star signs and all that side of things, as well as the personalities of people's different Chinese new year animals. Do you get what sort of things I mean? Does anyone know what jobs are available to do with this subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good choice. That age group is much less of a handful than kids!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is and they actually want to learn the subject too so it's easier. Do you want to teach?
Reply 32
It is and they actually want to learn the subject too so it's easier. Do you want to teach?

I wouldn't mind being a teacher, but I don't know… I have no clue what career I want to take on! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't mind being a teacher, but I don't know… I have no clue what career I want to take on! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww you'll find something :biggrin:
Reply 34

I never considered teaching in a college :smile: I agree it would be easier than teaching kids.

What do you have to do to qualify to teach in a college?
Original post by KH94
I never considered teaching in a college :smile: I agree it would be easier than teaching kids.

What do you have to do to qualify to teach in a college?

It would. 3 years of chosen subject and then one year QTS or PGCE in further education teaching. :smile:
Reply 36
Cricket because... Well I like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm kind of interested in star signs and all that side of things, as well as the personalities of people's different Chinese new year animals. Do you get what sort of things I mean? Does anyone know what jobs are available to do with this subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm into all that too :smile: well, an astrologer for one. You could write something like the Almanac. You could open your own shop selling stuff to do with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
It would. 3 years of chosen subject and then one year QTS or PGCE in further education teaching. :smile:

Originally I wanted to be a secondary school teacher, but then I decided the 'students' were rather...'challenging'. I like a challenge, but secondary school teaching is just...too challenging for me. More recently I have considered primary teaching, and it is still an option. I don't know if primary education or further education would be better. I find the hardest aspect of teaching at any phase is the possibility of accusations, because teachers are an easy target, alone with students all the time.

Thanks. Good luck. What you studying right now?
Original post by KH94
Originally I wanted to be a secondary school teacher, but then I decided the 'students' were rather...'challenging'. I like a challenge, but secondary school teaching is just...too challenging for me. More recently I have considered primary teaching, and it is still an option. I don't know if primary education or further education would be better. I find the hardest aspect of teaching at any phase is the possibility of accusations, because teachers are an easy target, alone with students all the time.

Thanks. Good luck. What you studying right now?

Yeah that's what put me off teaching high school kids. Yeah very true but I try not to think about that when thinking about my future. I've just finished a course in Media, you? Thanks, good luck to you too.

Quick Reply

Latest