Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UKIP 2015 Manifesto to be agreed tomorrow some interesting policy revealed so far Watch

ReputationRep:
    Good news, for the generation of public sector workers that own homes thanks to cheap credit in the Blair/Brown years, and enjoyed the windfall of the property boom.

Bad news, for the hard working British families, ex servicemen, that can't buy a house because house prices are too high, and they won't inherit anything because their parents were hard working private sector workers who had to scrimp and save every penny not enjoying a 5% payrise a year just because they were in the public sector.

ReputationRep:
    Why bother with a long manifesto for UKIP?

Surely just have
    1. Leave the EU.
    2. Take Britain back to the 1970s.
    3. Cheap beer for political party leaders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...lection-Pledge

-Abolishment of inheritance tax
    -Raising the starting rate tax is paid so the poorest pay no tax at all
    -Abolishing energy and climate change department
    -Scrapping HS2
    -40% tax rate for middle earners to start a higher rate
    -45% tax rate scrapped
    -Bedroom tax could be abolished and will be decided tomorrow

Thoughts on these? and what else do you think they should include?
    I won't be voting UKIP. Let's scrap carbon capture and storage research, great plan. Hurrah for not acting sustainably.

ReputationRep:
    Nigel Farage alone has made me not even consider looking at UKIPs policies that guy is just...

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Stopped reading at abolishing department of climate change and energy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...lection-Pledge

-Abolishment of inheritance tax
    -Raising the starting rate tax is paid so the poorest pay no tax at all
    -Abolishing energy and climate change department
    -Scrapping HS2
    -40% tax rate for middle earners to start a higher rate
    -45% tax rate scrapped
    -Bedroom tax could be abolished and will be decided tomorrow

Thoughts on these? and what else do you think they should include?
    Can vote Tory.

Can vote Tory or Lib Dem.

Fair enough.

Oppose.

Can vote Tory.

Can vote Tory.

Can vote Labour.

Good policies but no particular reasons to abandon the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    As a student there isn't an awful lot I can do about climate change at the moment. I try to do what I can. But then I'm not among those voting for a party which denies that the problem even exists, which is a start.

I'll wait to see their full manifesto and read in full what they say about it. But how does climate change action "exploit the working man"?
    Building wind turbines for a start. Increases energy bills and destroys the environment. Most turbines are not even built in Britain, so no jobs for the British worker. Then we have solar cells... Quite possibly the only things (along with wind turbines) that rival fossil fuels in their destruction of the environment.

(Original post by Quady)
    You might need a Department for Energy to increase use of Nuclear... :P
    Why can't private firms be free of bureaucracy? All you need is a few laws and safety measures, you don't need a whole department for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    Why can't private firms be free of bureaucracy? All you need is a few laws and safety measures, you don't need a whole department for that.
    Are there any private firms which would fund the setup cost of a nuclear power station without Government support?

Where there is considerable risk of a Chernobyl happening the designs need scrutiny.

They can say what they like because it's not like they'll be in government anyway.

ReputationRep:
      But how does climate change action "exploit the working man"?
      Are you serious? Why should working people in the UK on 'middle class' salaries be taxed so much only for it to be spent on climate change as opposed to the NHS, education etc?

No offense but are you taking the piss? Its attitudes like yours which makes people consider tax avoidance.

Why should working people pay for ****ing climate change goals? Why should they pay towards a department overly inflated? Why is the budget being allocated to this and foreign aid at a time when other countries couldn't give a ****?

I don't see people on welfare paying it. Middle classes screwed over constantly whilst pricks in Westminster pop a few solar panels on their second houses and reap the benefits.

Fed up of it. Middle class people get **** on in the UK.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Quady)
      Are there any private firms which would fund the setup cost of a nuclear power station without Government support?

Where there is considerable risk of a Chernobyl happening the designs need scrutiny.
      Where there is profit to be made, you will find entrepreneurs and big business. Besides, you do not need a big department for issuing subsidies to perhaps one or two companies.

And you do realise that Chernobyl was caused by the Soviet government? Not lack off.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      They can say what they like because it's not like they'll be in government anyway.
      This all over. It's like asking the MRLP what they plan on doing... except that their policies actually become law.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sanctimonious)
      Are you serious? Why should working people in the UK on 'middle class' salaries be taxed so much only for it to be spent on climate change as opposed to the NHS, education etc?

No offense but are you taking the piss? Its attitudes like yours which makes people consider tax avoidance.

Why should working people pay for ****ing climate change goals? Why should they pay towards a department overly inflated? Why is the budget being allocated to this and foreign aid at a time when other countries couldn't give a ****?

I don't see people on welfare paying it. Middle classes screwed over constantly whilst pricks in Westminster pop a few solar panels on their second houses and reap the benefits.

Fed up of it. Middle class people get **** on in the UK.
      Yes I am being serious.

Yes working people should pay for climate change action. It is one of the most important issues of today, and a party which pretends it isn't even an issue is deeply unimpressive.

This government actually reduced the feed in tariffs for solar panels. And the claim that climate change policies divert money from education and the NHS is laughable.

There are EU wide climate change goals which UKIP oppose. So lots of other countries actually do "give a ****"
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Building wind turbines for a start. Increases energy bills and destroys the environment. Most turbines are not even built in Britain, so no jobs for the British worker. Then we have solar cells... Quite possibly the only things (along with wind turbines) that rival fossil fuels in their destruction of the environment.
      I'd be interested to see your evidence for that.

Wind turbines can cause damage if inappropriately sited.
      Solar panels I am not aware of environmental damage, and I highly doubt that they do damage anywhere near comparable to fossil fuels.

It is a myth that renewables drive up energy bills. Rising prices of fossil fuels drive up the cost. Green taxes to fund renewables are a tiny fraction of energy bills.

ReputationRep:
      I'd be interested to see your evidence for that.

Wind turbines can cause damage if inappropriately sited.
      Solar panels I am not aware of environmental damage, and I highly doubt that they do damage anywhere near comparable to fossil fuels.

It is a myth that renewables drive up energy bills. Rising prices of fossil fuels drive up the cost. Green taxes to fund renewables are a tiny fraction of energy bills.
      Then you forget the damage of mining (noise, pollution, loss of habitats, loss of rare metals, machinery using fossil fuels: destruction of the environment), the fossil fuels burnt transporting the resource by lorries. The poor working conditions for the workers etc etc. Same with wind turbines. Complete waste; nothing more than big businesses exploiting the market and the people. And then we have to look at the environment they are put up in and the destruction they cause to the local environment there.

And given that wind turbines give so little energy out and cost so much to put up, I'm going to have to disagree with that article.

ReputationRep:
      Yes I am being serious.

Yes working people should pay for climate change action. It is one of the most important issues of today, and a party which pretends it isn't even an issue is deeply unimpressive.
      Complete *******s.

This government actually reduced the feed in tariffs for solar panels. And the claim that climate change policies divert money from education and the NHS is laughable.
      Maths isn't your strong point is it? Every penny spent on climate change within the budget is money that could be allocated elsewhere. That is a fact. If you have £100bn and £10bn is spent on climate change in 2014 and then you scrap the department you have, given the same economic take in in 2015 an extra £10bn to spend.

Wow such maths. Much accountancy. You should draft Labour economic policy. You'd fit right ****ing in.

There are EU wide climate change goals which UKIP oppose. So lots of other countries actually do "give a ****"
      What about non EU countries that don't want to **** on their citizens? Oh wait.

ReputationRep:
      Quite frankly, their plans to abolish the climate change department are stupid and unjustifiable. We absolutely must take action on climate change, and a party that ignores masses of scientific evidence on a major threat to the UK is being incredibly irresponsible.

On the other hand, their plan to scrap HS2 is a very good idea. There is a strong environmental case against HS2, and the money should be used elsewhere. But I'm still not going to vote for them.
      You are assuming that a Government department is necessary to challenge climate change. Consider that we have a department for climate change and we are doing sod all about climate change. Perhaps if we get rid of it?

Either way, it is entirely possible to abolish the department but increase our focus on climate change. The important functions of the department should be absorbed by DEFRA. There have been suggestions that the DECC was created purely for Ed Miliband to have a cabinet position in 2008.

ReputationRep:
      It ignores the long term issues of a cohesive society and offers short term gains for a vote. Pretty much what Hitler did.

ReputationRep:
      Oh, and by the way, ostracising the HSE might get cheap laughs, but it's entirely inaccurate and does a great dis-service to the organisation that has given us one of the lowest rates of worker death or injury in the world.

The many stories you hear about "health and safety gone mad" are almost never anything remotely to do with the HSE, it's people who are poorly educated or companies avoiding responsibility.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Then you forget the damage of mining, the fossil fuels burnt transporting the resource by lorries. The poor working conditions for the workers etc etc. Same with wind turbines. Complete waste, and nothing more than big businesses exploiting the market and the people.

And given that wind turbines give so little energy out and cost so much to put up, I'm going to have to disagree with that article.
      There are environmental issues with manufacture in China. But more are now starting to be built in Britain (we get some from European countries too). And I don't think UKIP would really help that very much.

The argument that we shouldn't increase renewables because fossil fuels are currently used to produce renewable technologies holds no water. Of course fossil fuels are needed to produce them in our oil based economy. If renewable use increases this becomes less of a problem. A bit like an awkward catch 22 situation - to reduce use of fossil fuels, you have to first use fossil fuels to exploit renewable sources.

Wind turbines aren't the only renewable energy source either.

(Original post by Sanctimonious)
      Complete *******s.

Maths isn't your strong point is it? Every penny spent on climate change within the budget is money that could be allocated elsewhere. That is a fact. If you have £100bn and £10bn is spent on climate change in 2014 and then you scrap the department you have, given the same economic take in in 2015 an extra £10bn to spend.
      Climate change is definitely an important issue due to its likely impacts. Any explanation as to why my claim is "complete *******s"?

Of course it uses money. But you seem to be exaggerating it quite a bit. People want to avoid tax because some of it is spent on climate change?
      We can afford to fund education, NHS, policing, etc as well as climate change policies.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.