Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hair thinning on top - stress induced? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonelink)
    balding brah... sounds like diffuse thinning. get on propecia asap. I've been on it for 8 months, it has stabalised my loss
    My hair thinning doesn't feel that serious for me to try that yet. Not a fan of the potential side effects either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    My hair thinning doesn't feel that serious for me to try that yet. Not a fan of the potential side effects either.
    1% of people get sides it's all scaremongering, I've had no sides whatsoever it's bs. Your hair is only going to get worse, if you take the medication now there's a high chance you can grow back what you lost as it was recent and then go on to maintain that for years.

In a few months/years when you hairloss progresses to a certain stage you will likely start the medication and ask yourself why you hadn't started it earlier. It's 10x easier to maintain hair than to grow it back, just sayin'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonelink)
    It's 10x easier to maintain hair than to grow it back, just sayin'
    I agree. I'm already taking appropriate vitamin supplements and hair treatment oils.

I'll look in further to propecia.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I'm already taking appropriate vitamin supplements and hair treatment oils.

Minoxidil damages collagen production, i wouldn't recommend it, if you are going to try propecia, take 0.5mg per day because it flatlines after 0.50mg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Minoxidil damages collagen production, i wouldn't recommend it, if you are going to try propecia, take 0.5mg per day because it flatlines after 0.50mg.
    I don't plan on trying Minoxidil myself.

I've been watching a few youtube vids, propecia does seem effective but as I said before, side effects are alarming.

ReputationRep:
    mega green tea extract does the same thing as minoxidil

same with niacin

Niacin, which is structurally related to minoxidil. Niacin both maintains potassium channel function, which like oral minoxidil , stimulates hair growth.

ReputationRep:
    MSM and biotin do not work in the long term, because they do not get to the cause and real reason of male baldness.

Which is genetics, and certain types of inflammation specific to the scalp area , the neutralizing of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) via 5-alpha-reductase inhibition, prolactin downregulation, and androstendione reduction via enterolactone. also reducing androgen and estrogen binding at receptor sites, and increasing of sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG).

ReputationRep:

Hair loss sucks man, it's the worst thing i've ever experienced I'm only 22 I don't want to lose my hair at this age... from one sufferer to another please get on propecia... dht blockers are your only hope. Just take the pill, forget about it, maintain what you have for the foreseeable future and a new treatment will likely be out by then.

Like I said hair is much easier to maintain than regrow. I can guarantee, I would honestly bet my money on the fact you will take propecia in the future and thoroughly regret not starting earlier. There are no sides... the mind is a powerful thing. I remember the first day I took the pill i thought I was getting sides, which is impossible after a day, it's complete bs. Please just think about it

ReputationRep:

Minoxidil seems to exacerbate things once you stop using it. I have some castor oil, how often should one apply it?
    Twice a week I'd say. Mix it with some lighter consistency oil, such as coconut and then put it directly onto your scalp. Either put in for a few hours, or leave in overnight. (If you leave overnight give your hair an extra wash in the morning to make sure it comes out properly!!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.