Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igcsecrazy)
    I'm going into my 2nd year at Uni of Leicester! I study Psychology with Sociology If you have any questions let me know and hopefully I can help you out x

If Brenda is in your psychology class then tell her she's not a VIP student.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know Josie off SLOS? Tell her I said hi.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to be studying Media and Communications in Sept and I'm really struggling to pick my accommodation, whats the best halls of residence to be in? I'm looking at catered en suite rooms

Please help!! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abigailbayram)
    Hi! Just wondering if you knew anything about the modern languages department? Like how people have found the teaching and the courses as a whole. Oh, and do you know anything about that 3 week summer school for language students at the end of 1st year? Thank you x
    Hi! I have a friend doing french and spanish and he seems to love it. I myself am going to do language classes with the modern languages department once a week for the whole of second year (they offer a range of languages hehe). Unfortunately I don't know anything about the 3 week summer school - but thats like so much fun! Sorry I couldn't be of much help. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldtippedarrows)
    What has your uni's reaction been to the 'Secret life of Students' doc and how have people responded to the uni or the students who featured on it

(Original post by Gorwell)
    ^^^ This, and do you know any of the cast? Especially Hassan and Ben/Gem (fave)

(Original post by goldtippedarrows)
    Those were my favourite members too! #twinning

PRSOM urgh
    I tried giving it a go by watching the first episode but couldn't get past the first 7 minutes haha sorry I found it terrible so I don't watch it. Also it was pretty annoying having huge cameras follow them during nights out because the crew took up so much space on the dance floor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shara11)
    Hi, I'm going to be studying Media and Communications in Sept and I'm really struggling to pick my accommodation, whats the best halls of residence to be in? I'm looking at catered en suite rooms

Please help!! Thanks
    Are you looking to be in Oadby? Or City accommodation? I was in city acc and had a great ensuite room but it was self-catered. My friends in Oadby were catered but they hated the food and also if you decide to cook after a few weeks of catered food well you can't really since you wouldn't have the facilities in your kitchen (I heard the only thing you get in Catered kitchen is a refrigerator and microwave)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universal_set)
    If Brenda is in your psychology class then tell her she's not a VIP student.
    Don't think I know a Brenda, haha there are nearly 300 students in every lecture

ReputationRep:
    Also how balanced is the course? Are there more Psychology modules in comparison to Sociology/ vice versa?
    BSc Psychology with Sociology is 2/3 Psych and 1/3 Sociology So we have one sociology module in first year and 3 psychology modules

ReputationRep:
    Is Leicester, the city itself full of Indians?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shara11)

Please help!! Thanks
    Hi ,
    Even i am going to be studying Media and Communications in September !!
    and as far as accommodation halls are concerned i think u shud go ahead with GMS ..its the best ..but then again that is my opinion .. i hv been allocated shirley house in GMS n i m very excited to b there asap..
    Hope to c u soon n i hope this helps..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZazDogg)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So i hv heard... !! It's a nyc place to be in..

ReputationRep:
    Hey i wanted to know .. a little more about the students union if possible and also how many groups can one join?
    Thank u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZazDogg)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm well Leicester itself is known as a very diverse and international city which is one of the main good features

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Av27)
    Hey i wanted to know .. a little more about the students union if possible and also how many groups can one join?
    Thank u
    The students union is so great!! There is so much support for all types of students whether that be international, disabled or visiting students etc etc. The student union council itself is so engaging and I'm friends with many of them as they are so active within university and just so welcoming. It really helped me as I was pretty nervous last year, being an international student and living on my own in a completely different country.

There is huge range of societies you can join (and as many as you want!). At the start of the year theres a freshers fair where you can wander around and check out stalls representing each society and you can sign up right there and then. I signed up to 4 societies at the start of last year but only really committed to two haha. Also we have a starbucks at our students union building which is always a great thing because coffee is essential for uni!

ReputationRep:
    Are you looking to be in Oadby? Or City accommodation? I was in city acc and had a great ensuite room but it was self-catered. My friends in Oadby were catered but they hated the food and also if you decide to cook after a few weeks of catered food well you can't really since you wouldn't have the facilities in your kitchen (I heard the only thing you get in Catered kitchen is a refrigerator and microwave)
    did you stay in Opal court?

Catered Kitchen: it varies on which halls you stay in as some only have a fridge and a microwave, we had a electrical oven but honestly took like 20 minutes to heat up water for cooking. The fridge space was really small as well tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Wow...sounds really exciting!!! Just cant wait to b there already!! Im in India and my exams got over in april...n since then getting bored to death...!! Hope to c u soon!! N btw i got into shirley house ..its good ryt???

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well Leicester itself is known as a very diverse and international city which is one of the main good features
    The City itself seems to have a disproportionate number of Indians. 29% Indian compared to a national average of 2.5%.

ReputationRep:
    How does it matter??
    We r nyc ppl man!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Av27)
    Hi ,
    Even i am going to be studying Media and Communications in September !!
    and as far as accommodation halls are concerned i think u shud go ahead with GMS ..its the best ..but then again that is my opinion .. i hv been allocated shirley house in GMS n i m very excited to b there asap..
    Hope to c u soon n i hope this helps..

Ah cool so we're gonna be on the same course!
    I've applied for John Foster as my first choice and GMS as my second, I really can't remember what the halls were like from the tour which is annoying! Is GMS accommodation nice and how many other people is it shared with?

ReputationRep:
    Oadby! Yeah I was uncertain whether to go for catered or self-catered, but I picked John Foster Premium Plus En Suite as my first and GMS as my second, any chance you could give any pros and cons of these two accommodations? it'd really help, thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.