Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can I feel my tampon?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katbob)
    Ahh okay thanks! That explains a lot why do you need a countdown.. Does it hurt every time? :/
    I would appear to be the only woman replying to you on this thread right now. Please just ignore the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    The applicator is a tube of either card or plastic that has the tampon sort of at the bottom in another tube (works a bit like a telescope) - you insert the applicator (it's designed to go in easily) and then when you feel like it's in far enough you push the second tube up into the applicator so the tampon gets put inside your vagina, and then you can pull the applicator (with the second tube sitting inside it now) out and flush it or throw it away depending on the material.

It's obvious on the packet - they'll either say 'with applicator' or they won't. A tampon without an applicator is simply a cylinder with a string (often with lines of some kind on the outside) whereas the picture of one with applicator is slightly more complicated (it has more parts) and should be smooth.

You may want to start with the smallest ones possible (weakest flow) because they're tiny, and try not to worry about it being difficult if you're practising while not bleeding or not bleeding a lot - the drier you are, the more you can feel the friction of it going in. You will find it a whole lot more resistant to being pulled out again if it's not relatively wet when you try to take it out - don't worry about it, it will always come out with a decent tug. You probably won't feel like putting another one up there too soon if you pull one out dry for whatever reason though.
    What? Second tubes? Telescopes? I never knew there was more than one tube. Totally out of my depth here. And worryingly I have actually inserted a tampon before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    What? Second tubes? Telescopes? I never knew there was more than one tube. Totally out of my depth here. And worryingly I have actually inserted a tampon before
    Now that I read it back I realise that the tampon can't be in the second tube, it doesn't make sense the way I've described it. The tampon is inside the 'main' tube, but the second tube underneath is the one you push into the main tube, and in doing that, it pushes the tampon out of the top of the main tube and into the vagina. Though I've only used the plastic ones like once or twice so I'm mainly talking about the card ones - I've tried what I think was a Tampax Compak which was plastic and there you had to kind of click out the 'second' tube before starting to use the tampon and applicator, because it was hiding in the rest of it somehow (in order for it to actually be 'compact').

ReputationRep:
    You haven't pushed it in far enough. You will know you've pushed it in far enough when you are not able to feel the end of the tampon at the entrance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katbob)
    Would anyone actually mind explaining in full detail how to put one in?

Sorry to derail the thread abit but I'm too embarrassed to make a thread about it.
    I don't find the applicator ones easy to use actually contrary to what a lot of women say. I've never been able to do it with an applicator. I buy lilets (the non-applicator ones) because they are smaller as well so they feel very comfortable when they're in.

Put one leg up on the toilet seat while standing on your other leg and insert so that you feel it going straight in, if you feel it pointing upwards or pointing downwards inside you you will be very uncomfortable, so try again. After a few times of doing it it will become easy to do You need to push reasonably hard as it needs to go all the way in so that there is nothing poking out (apart from the string of course )

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.