Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Retaking year 12 with new subjects? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbehonest)
    Work hard and get that A.
    It saves you from having to retake.
    True... I'm going to look at the universities I had planned going to and seeing whether they want Chem at A2 too or if they're fine with it being to AS! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamescooper)
    Hello! So basically I'm contemplating retaking year 12 with new subjects because I've recently become interested by the prospect of doing Neuroscience, mainly because I realised how social sciency Psychology is at uni (which I absolutely hate since the only topic I thoroughly enjoyed in AS Psychology was neurones and the effect of drugs on them).

I had always planned to do Psychology at uni so I chose Biology, Physics (literally because I got an A* in it at GCSE; big mistake because I turned out to be ****E at it and decided to not do Chemistry because I had gotten a B in it at GCSE), History and Psychology.

However, I'm realising now that most universities want Chemistry and would prioritise those who had it (in comparison to me, who'd be applying with History, Biology and Psychology). But at the same time, I'm doing a crap ton of things Psychology related in the summer (Cambridge psychology summer school and a two week paid placement at UCL in their psychology department, helping with their research etc)???

So my question is, should I retake year 12 and do the subjects Chemistry, Economics, R.E. and Biology? Would retaking the year slim my chances even though I would achieve decent AS grades (so my excuse for retaking year 12 isn't because I had failed)? Or should I perhaps go along with Psychology and then do a masters in Neuroscience (or even just Neuropsychology if that exists because I've never planned on becoming a neurosurgeon or anything medicine related)?

Thanks!
    If you want to do Chemistry, you're okay to go back a year and you're willing to put the work in then go ahead, resit year 12. If you're confident you'll get good grades in Biol, History, Psych and you don't mind missing out on Chem then don't bother because you'll probably have some advantage with all that work experience, even if it's not directly to do with Neuroscience. If you decide not to redo year 12 and you really don't think you'll get into uni then apply for a foundation year as a backup I never intended on going for a foundation year (for Physics) but I was rejected and offered a foundation course by Manchester so I went for it because it's like a 'stepping stone' from A-level to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    So you mean pick up a bunch of AS subjects? :confused: Thanks for you reply!!
    Well... Not a bunch but maybe Chemistry, to be honest if you REALLY try you could do Chemistry A2. There is plenty of help out there if you find it difficult.
    If you need any help with anything at a later date, you can always message me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyyoufools)
    If you want to do Chemistry, you're okay to go back a year and you're willing to put the work in then go ahead, resit year 12. If you're confident you'll get good grades in Biol, History, Psych and you don't mind missing out on Chem then don't bother because you'll probably have some advantage with all that work experience, even if it's not directly to do with Neuroscience. If you decide not to redo year 12 and you really don't think you'll get into uni then apply for a foundation year as a backup I never intended on going for a foundation year (for Physics) but I was rejected and offered a foundation course by Manchester so I went for it because it's like a 'stepping stone' from A-level to Uni.
    I'm going to look for foundation years too so thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam')
    Well... Not a bunch but maybe Chemistry, to be honest if you REALLY try you could do Chemistry A2. There is plenty of help out there if you find it difficult.
    If you need any help with anything at a later date, you can always message me.
    So do AS and A2 in one year? Also a possibility! Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone for their replies, I'd never thought I'd get as much help as I did so I really appreciate it! I'm going to ask my Bio teacher tomorrow and see what she thinks and I'll get back to you (if you're interested )

ReputationRep:
    Update (to anyone who cares), I'm considering retaking the year with Chemistry because I feel as though if I'm doubting Psychology NOW (when I haven't even gotten into a uni yet), I'm likely to doubt it and regret it later. I'm attending the Psychology Summer School at Cambridge Uni next week and I also have a two-week Psychology placement at UCL (which may actually change my mind about Psychology and reaffirm my desire to do it) so I obviously can show in my personal statement that I am dedicated, hard-working and ambitious and that retaking the year is simply because the subject itself didn't interest me. Thanks for everyone's help!!

ReputationRep:
    Update (to anyone who cares), I'm considering retaking the year with Chemistry because I feel as though if I'm doubting Psychology NOW (when I haven't even gotten into a uni yet), I'm likely to doubt it and regret it later. I'm attending the Psychology Summer School at Cambridge Uni next week and I also have a two-week Psychology placement at UCL (which may actually change my mind about Psychology and reaffirm my desire to do it) so I obviously can show in my personal statement that I am dedicated, hard-working and ambitious and that retaking the year is simply because the subject itself didn't interest me. Thanks for everyone's help!!
    Sounds good. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.