Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Abortion be made illegal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Putting a child in care is a terrible thing to do and there is a chance they may stay in care for the rest of their childhood. I would never want to have a child then put them in care because I didn't want them. It seem very immoral bringing a child into a world of suffering instead of not existing at all. That's my opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. I'm an ex Muslim living with my Muslim family. I've had two pregnancy scares, one of which was possibly the result of rape. (Long story.) People in my position (that is, those living with their religious family and/or those who have been raped) need the abortion option because if that pee stick turns out positive an escape plan is necessary.

Fine, there are people who are near desperate for a child but it's not worth putting lives like mine at risk. I'm not saying my life has any value to me, hell, I'm as depressed and slightly suicidal as they come, but my life does hold value to my family. I don't plan on ruining their happiness to make some strangers happy. (For the record, if one day I stop speaking to my family for whatever reason then things might be different, but for the moment they're the ones keeping a roof over my head so I have no other option.) I'm an advocate of adoption. I hope to one day adopt a kid. However, as a 19 year old living with her semi-religious family, I do not plan on risking getting myself kicked out of my home and being alienated by my family just to help some couple who can find a child elsewhere.

Also, a lot of people choose abortion because it's a better option than having the kid and passing on particular genes to them. I can't stand the idea of having my own children because there's a chance that they could have depression, bipolar, borderline personality, anorexia, bulimia, BED, or something else I've yet to be diagnosed with. A friend once described me as the DSM in human form, or "what happens when mental disorders meet the domino effect?" I hate the idea of putting an innocent child in this ****ty world to endure this ****ty life when there's a huge chance that they could develop one of so many mental illnesses to make life that much ****tier. Knowing this makes it so difficult for me to want a child because I just think it would be so selfish to unleash a mini me into this world just so I can be happy. If I can't have a child to give myself happiness/satisfaction there's no way I'd do it for random strangers.

Anyway, I can't imagine ever giving my child to strangers. If abortion was illegal and I had to keep the kid, I'd rather lose my family than give it to some strangers. There are a lot of sick *******s out there. I'd rather keep mini me with me than risk sending it off with some ****er who could sexually abuse my little womb dweller for their own sadistic satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie786)
    But i think its immoral regardless of religion. What if religion didn't exist then would it not still be immoral to kill an unborn child?
    No, as I disagree with the concept of an unborn child. It is not a human being until it is at least able to survive outside a womb in a natural manner.

Also to your more practical point, if that would be the case, why are there still foster homes?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to stop abortion to have children for adoption, there are thousands of children in care now who are waiting to be adopted but there are a shortage of parents to adopt them.

Just because you find it immoral does not mean you should or could be allowed to impose your morals on others. Lots of people find it immoral to eat meat but I don't want them to stop people eating what they want.

ReputationRep:
    I know its legalised in UK under the 1967 act but should it be repealed?

There are so many couples who are childless as the women cannot conceive or gay people who would love to adopt children. Isn't it better to give birth to the child and then put him/her up for adoption if the child is unwanted?

I know there are rape cases but putting them aside. Now a day i have seen women just aborting the child because they don't want to take care of them?

Your thoughts?
    No a woman has a choice about what to do with her body. Making them illegal will just cause the procedures to be done illegally and a lot less safely, or people going abroad to have them done.

If people want to adopt there are no shortage of kids, our population is growing all the time.

Contraception is not 100% effective so why should a woman have to go through a hugely inconvenient 9 month ordeal for a child she doesn't want, for something that wasn't in her control.

The reason i object is that i find this immoral to abort a fetus. I see it the same as killing a person. That fetus had all right to be born and see the world as you and me are seeing it today
    Well other people don't find it immoral to abort a fetus, your opinion is not more valid than theirs. If you don't want an abortion no one is forcing you.

ReputationRep:
    The reason i object is that i find this immoral to abort a fetus. I see it the same as killing a person. That fetus had all right to be born and see the world as you and me are seeing it today
    The rights of a foetus that doesn't yet have a consciousness do not outweigh the rights of women to make choices about their own bodies. Pregnancy is not a punishment for sex.

Having an unwanted baby to raise or give up for adoption is a serious undertaking - it's no less stressful or difficult that going through an abortion, in fact over the long term, it's probably MORE stressful for the mother (and father).

A foetus is not a person in its own right. At the times when abortion is legal, a foetus cannot support itself, it doesn't occupy its own space, it can't feel or think or breathe... it's a ball of cells being supported by one living, breathing, sentient woman and her needs outweigh the foetus's.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigGeek)
    The rights of a foetus that doesn't yet have a consciousness do not outweigh the rights of women to make choices about their own bodies. Pregnancy is not a punishment for sex.

Having an unwanted baby to raise or give up for adoption is a serious undertaking - it's no less stressful or difficult that going through an abortion, in fact over the long term, it's probably MORE stressful for the mother (and father).

A foetus is not a person in its own right. At the times when abortion is legal, a foetus cannot support itself, it doesn't occupy its own space, it can't feel or think or breathe... it's a ball of cells being supported by one living, breathing, sentient woman and her needs outweigh the foetus's.
    Spot on with everything you have said. I couldn't have worded it better myself tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I think the pro life argument is less about actually caring about the foetus, but more used to punish and label these women who have had sex (often, premarital sex). If they cared solely about the foetus, surely they would be against abortion even if the mother was raped. Obviously it's about sex, because they punish women who have an abortion after having chose to have sex, but don't punish women who have an abortion after being raped. This, in my opinion, shows that it isn't about "murdering an unborn child" but more as a means of punishing, labelling and oppressing these women. Technically, a foetus is still a foetus even if it was a product of rape, so theoretically they should be against even rape victims getting abortions.

I don't agree with this at all, I'm not trying to be insensitive, I think it's completely up to the women. I'm not saying rape victims or women who have sex should be punished, I'm just saying that technically if they thought of it as murder, surely even the foetus of the rape victim 'deserves' to live. What makes it lesser than all these other 'murdered' foetus'?

ReputationRep:
    People will get abortions anyway, whether it's illegal or not.
    There are lots of young girls out there, terrified that their parents will kick them out onto the streets with no money and nowhere else to go if they were to find out they were pregnant.
    Not everyone has the support system to continue with a pregnancy.
    And then they'll go to dangerous back street abortions and they'll get seriously hurt, if not die.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not. For these reasons:
    1. You argue that the unwanted children could just go to people that are unable to havechildren of their own. There are already more children waiting to be adopted than there are people willing to adopt. If every woman who wanted an abortion had their child and put it up for adoption instead, there could potentially be millions of children living in care homes, never getting the family life they want. A friend of mine grew up in care homes across the whole country, and he often talks of the unsettled childhood he had, and how badly it's affected him.
    2. Rape victims and people who used contraception that happened to fail shouldn't have to go through with having a child they don't want because of something outside of their control.
    3. Back street abortions WILL happen, and because they're unregulated the women having them could end up in serious danger, potentially dying from complications.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your thoughts but like they say to each his own.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your thoughts but like they say to each his own.
    But it's not. You're views are inherently wrong and misogynistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    But it's not. You're views are inherently wrong and misogynistic.
    I'm a female myself. I don't see how they can be misogynistic? But whatever :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a female myself. I don't see how they can be misogynistic? But whatever :rolleyes:
    Just being female doesn't mean you can't be misogynistic.

---

Anyhoo, it shouldn't be made illegal, women should have a right to bodily autonomy and shouldn't have to carry a child that they don't want to. I agree with the cut off after so many weeks that you can't abort after that, but before that deadline, I 100% support abortion. There are thousands of children in care already, if couples want to adopt there are already plenty to choose from, why being more unwanted kids into the world?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    Just being female doesn't mean you can't be misogynistic.

---

Anyhoo, it shouldn't be made illegal, women should have a right to bodily autonomy and shouldn't have to carry a child that they don't want to. I agree with the cut off after so many weeks that you can't abort after that, but before that deadline, I 100% support abortion. There are thousands of children in care already, if couples want to adopt there are already plenty to choose from, why being more unwanted kids into the world?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's weird because i know I'm not. But like i said whatever.

ReputationRep:
    In the early stages of pregnancy the child is nothing more than a clump of cells dividing. We are also clumps of cells when you think about it, but the difference is we are capable of feeling pain, forming relationships and experiencing emotion. The clump of cells in a woman's womb isn't and, in that sense, it is no different from a clump of cells taken from an amoebae.

At this point I anticipate pandemonium erupting in the anti-abortion corner of the debate. "But this is a *human* clump of cells. It has the potential to become human life". That there is the fallacy: just because something has potential to become something else, doesn't mean it should be treated the same as the thing it has potential to become. A pile of scrap metal has potential to become a car, that doesn't make it anything more than what it is... A pile of scrap metal.

A fertilised egg has potential to become a human life, but then an unfertilised egg also carries this potential. Any given unfertilised egg in a woman's body could be fertilised and become a human life. Why then don't we apply the same arguments to sperm and eggs? Should they be protected to the same degree as fertilised eggs?

A clump of dividing cells is not a human, the clump of dividing cells does not care whether you abort it or not. There is nothing immoral with abortion at the early stages of pregnancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigGeek)

Development is a continous process that occurs even after child birth, the fragmentation of this into stages of what is and isn't life is not really objective. You've cited consciousness as a pre-requisite for the foetus to be considered alive, but why have you done that? Does that mean that those in a coma or in a vegetative state aren't worthy of life? Consciousness on an objective level is very difficult to understand and measure (only recently have scientists attempted to explain what is considered consciousness). Physiologically, the foetus is functional and has all the neccesary components in order to be considered life well before the 24th week i.e. the heart beat, a primitive brain, the perceptive apparatus, the majority of the organs and limbs have already developed to a recognisable point by the 8th week nevermind the 24th. It is very much a viable entity.

As far as not being able to survive, I'm not quite sure what is meant by that. A child that is born isn't able to survive on it's own. It still relies on the parents for neccesities like food, water and shelter -much like the foetus whose main nutrition and shelter comes from the mother- and consequently without the parents there to give it food, water and shelter a born baby will die. So really, the difference between what a born child needs to survive and what the 'the ball of cells' requires, is negligible.

ReputationRep:
    In a perfect world everyone who wish to have babies do just that and similar to those who don't. However as you said there are rape cases and things such as the baby can endanger the mother. There are also cases where getting pregnant can get the person involved killed by family members. Even if they want to keep the baby for adoption, well it's just not possible.
    Making abortion illegal would make those situations above worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    More kids in care. Sounds wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    Pregnancy isn't just carrying a growing ball of cells/embryo/foetus/baby for 9 months. It is so tough, physically and emotionally. I had an excellent support network around me during my pregnancy, and yet at times I came close to developing antenatal depression, because it was so overwhelming. I was in hospital often, struggling to get all my essays done alongside being pregnant, it was so physically and emotionally difficult. You have to make sacrifices, you're giving up so much of yourself, and at the same time you are constantly worried about this life inside you, because you can't just fob off the responsibility to someone else. It's all on your shoulders, and there are people all around you, just waiting to tell you you're doing it wrong - and to say 'I told you so'.

As someone who has been pregnant, carried a baby for nine months and given birth to my beautiful daughter, I still absolutely support the right of any woman to an abortion. Morally I disagree with repeat abortions as a method of contraception, but I don't think that's anywhere near as common as the media makes out. But legally, I believe every woman should have access to safe, legal abortion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.