Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best moments in the World Cup so far Watch

ReputationRep:
    David Luiz and Dani Alves consoling a tearful James Rodriguez at the final whistle after Brazil edged past Colombia.

Messi's goal vs Iran. The best player in the world stepping up for his country in the dying moments and scoring an absolute screamer to break Iranian hearts. Just beautiful.

Van Gaal subbing on Krul for Cillessen.

David Villa getting emotional on the bench after being substituted in his last ever appearance for Spain.

ReputationRep:
    Few of mine that haven't been mentioned:

James Rodriguez's ridiculous goal against Uruguay

Sturridge's equaliser against Italy (before anyone mocks, it was brilliant at the time, just irrelevant in the end)

The singing of the national anthems in the Brazil v Colombia game, simply stunning South American passion.

David Luiz's goal and his and the crowd's celebration

ReputationRep:
    I think we all spoke too soon...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I take it back

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We've arguably seen two of the best games in the history of the World Cup in these past 4 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    6 minutes of pure lols :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    We've arguably seen two of the best games in the history of the World Cup in these past 4 weeks.
    Which ones mate? Last night and the Netherlands/Spain?

ReputationRep:
    The first Phil Neville commentary was a moment which will be written in the annals of football history lol.

ReputationRep:
    1. Tim Howard against Belgium
    2. Suarez's bite (as a Liverpool fan it made me want to punch someone but the memes were golden)
    3. When Brazil made England look good yesterday

ReputationRep:
    1. Germany destroying Brazil.
    2. Suarez bite for shock/surprise value.
    3. The Colombian team's goal celebrations.

This is leaving out individual goals. Seems to have been a high number of quality ones: RVP header, Chile team goal vs Spain, JRod shimmy, Tim Cahill, JRods two vs Uruguay, Messi vs Iran, Schurlle's second last night.

ReputationRep:
    1 germanys win against brazil
    2 suarez bite
    3 hollands win against spain

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Which ones mate? Last night and the Netherlands/Spain?
    Nah, was thinking Iran v Nigeria and Costa Rica v England
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Messi's face when he LOST!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    3. Suarez's bite
    2. Clarke Carlisle saying "Oh my days..." after Cahill's volley
    1. Jonathan Pearce vs. goal-line technology

ReputationRep:
    I've watched every single match of the world cup, live or on repeat, and these are my top 3:

1. Suarez Bite
    2. Germany 7-1 Brazil
    3. Benzema's goal (although it was an own goal, I'll always call it his)

Honorable mentions:
    * Tim Howard's performance
    * Klose's record goal
    * Spain's early exit
    * Germany vs Ghana

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    There were no best games in WC history in these knockout rounds. Belgium vs USA and Germany vs Algeria were probably the best of them, but they weren't the best WC games ever, not even close.

If you're talking about Germany's demolition job of Brazil, well yes its an historic scoreline, memorable undoubtedly, but it wasn't a great game. Germany ran through them pretty easily and the game was done in 25-30 minutes, after that it was an exhibition game. Holland were in second gear against Brazil and still beat them 3-0, if they had RVP on fire in a meaningful game, they could have easily got 4/5+.

Its before our time but if you want to look at classic knockout matches, have a look at 1982, the semi final West Germany 3 - 3 France (aet), Italy 3-2 Brazil.

The knockout games in this WC produced 35 goals. France 98 produced 45 goals, and without Brazil's collapse we may have had the lowest number of goals ever in an knockout stage.

I'm not trying to knock this WC, but people use things "best ever" too often for me. Wayne Rooney's goals was the voted best ever in English league history recently. A lot of the time whats ever is fresh in the memory quickly becomes the best. What stands the test of time as the "best" is what people are saying 10-20 years after. Wayne Rooney's overhead will not be the greatest ever by then I can assure you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.