Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gradiuate employers choosing more lowly qualified applicants on self-interest Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    tbh I think the way the Job Centre encourages understating qualifications is some kind of national disgrace. Arguably leaving qualifications out is as dishonest as making up qualifications to include. More importantly the message it sends to job seeking graduates is really negative.
    Absolutely.
    I remember when i was there the statistic was that you were 50% LESS likely to find a job in the next 12 months if you were on JSA than if you weren't....
    I read in the newspaper the other week that now only 36% (or there abouts) of JSA claimants will find a job within a year of signing on...
    The help (or lack of) has got to be it.

Part of the trouble has to be their policy of hiring JSA claimants to be the advisers. They need to have proper career advisers to help people make the most of CVs and help them with interview skills and maximize their chances of getting a job, rather than dumming down CVs and pushing them towards agency work in factories!
    I also think part of the attitude problem in Job centres (the rudest people you will ever meet) is because they are picked from the JSA claimants: They are the same "class" as it were, so by feel better about themselves by putting down those on the other side of the desk.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange crush)
    Erm, okay, but they also can't force staff to work hours that are not officially contracted. You seem like a ****
    No, but they're free to fire you for someone who's more flexible, their call at the end of the day.

If you think that's harsh you're going to have a shock if you're ever involved in a restructuring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gonewandering)
    Absolutely.
    I remember when i was there the statistic was that you were 50% LESS likely to find a job in the next 12 months if you were on JSA than if you weren't....
    I read in the newspaper the other week that now only 36% (or there abouts) of JSA claimants will find a job within a year of signing on...
    The help (or lack of) has got to be it.

Part of the trouble has to be their policy of hiring JSA claimants to be the advisers. They need to have proper career advisers to help people make the most of CVs and help them with interview skills and maximize their chances of getting a job, rather than dumming down CVs and pushing them towards agency work in factories!
    I also think part of the attitude problem in Job centres (the rudest people you will ever meet) is because they are picked from the JSA claimants: They are the same "class" as it were, so by feel better about themselves by putting down those on the other side of the desk.
    Errrrrr havent you been 'the other side of the desk'? So youre from the same 'class' of people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Errrrrr havent you been 'the other side of the desk'? So youre from the same 'class' of people...
    You miss the point.
    Its the same as urban Victorian's who used to have house servants. The servants and the employers had the same backgrounds, so the employers generally were vile to their staff to remind them who's boss and to give themselves a bit of a boost to feel superior.
    You see it today with the nouveau-riche who suddenly become snobs.
    But every Lord I know are not snobs - and really they have no need to be: they are "superior" by birth so have no need to prove it by being rude or snobby. (not going to also say Lady - some of the wives are! lol)

The rudeness of the benefits staff, snatching forms, barking orders and looking down their noses at people is part of the same.
    Its probably the only chance they get to actually look down their noses at people... in the outside world they live in a council house and their meager wages are topped up by benefits...

Either way, hiring the JSA claimants for those jobs for their employment statistics (some of the few jobs they can actually help people find!) but trained and/or experienced employment advisers/human resources experts, would do a far better job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gonewandering)
    I don't think its limited just to graduates: Before I went to university I applied for what was a minimum wage job with a new printing company. I already had quite a lot of experience with all the software from a previous stint when I was self employed... More experience, it turned out, than the two young women who had started this company.... It was embarrassing; they just didn't have a clue!

And as for people leaving their degree and past job history of their CV. Yes it does happen. Again before I went to uni, I applied for a job with a large chain of national bakers famous for their greasy pies... just with GCSEs and A-Levels, they told me they could not hire me because I was over qualified!!
    I also had the misfortune of going to the job centre before uni... they told me to take ALL my A-levels off, not mention the specific subjects or grades (which were As) for GCSEs. They also told me to take off my past self-employed businesses off. The job centre only knows how to find menial minimum wage work so are the experts at dumming down CVs.
    My favourite was: "don't put on you have a GCSE in French... they'll think you can speak French" .
    -errrr... .I can.... :/

At the end of the day I guess it just underlines the importance of adapting your CV for each job you apply for. If you're going for a job that a monkey could do... look like a monkey...
    I don't think the job center is supposed to be any good for students...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.