Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so this year I'm doing my A Levels in sixth form. I have chosen Business, Sociology, Psychology and Law. I have been advised to choose something like History or English Literature. However, I am not interested in these subjects and do not perform too well these. Are my subjects strong and do they prepare me for University (in terms of the skills). Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    With law, they don't really mind about what subjects it is that you study, so long as you achieve good grades and demonstrate via your personal statement that you are a suitable candidate to be accepted into their law school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JazzyT17)
    I'm planning to do History, english lit, business studies and psychology. Is this ok but I think I don't want to do psychology anymore so what should I choose instead?
    I suppose you could choose any subject really that your interested in and enjoy because you've got you main ones there (History and English Literature)

ReputationRep:
    Although it would be easier to get high grades with soft A levels, if you are thinking about doing Law at Oxbridge or a Russell Group unis, high grades in traditional hard subjects will impress them more and law firms if you want to be a lawyer. I personally did English Lit, History and Law as well as the Extended Project in my A2 year. I'll be studying Law at a Russell Group uni in September.

ReputationRep:
    pretty much any well respected subject. just show that you are academically capable, so choose what youre good at and what you enjoy. if unis ever require specific subjects for law itll just be an essay subject like english, but as long as youve got that and some other strong grades in subjects that are taken seriously (unfortunately whether the subject is a 'hard' subject or not is possibly quite relevant since law is so prestigious) then youll be fine im sure. the rest is all about reading, research, passion and experience. if youve got good grades in anything youll be considered, you just have to make sure you collect stuff for your personal statement.

plus, even if you change your mind about everything and do something random like studying all sciences andpursuing a biology degree (i have no reason to believe that you would do this but its still an option to bear in mind) you could always do a conversion. a law conversion is possible from most good degrees i think. so even if you feel like you make a mistake with your choices im sure youll get there in the end. there are a couple of pathways to law :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cakeymatey)
    It's already been said, but I'll just endorse everything that has been said.

I read law at Warwick, and I know that people have studied a broad array of different subjects. What we have in common is that irrespective of subject, we have got strong grades. Meet that threshold, and the floor is yours to impress them with your personal statement.

It must be said that English Lit, History, Politics and Maths are very common and they are obviously going to help the impression that your application makes. But by no means should you feel pigeon holed into taking those subjects.

My advice would be to stick with 2 "traditional subjects" just to be safe. But if you don't think you are going to get 3 As, just take something you enjoy.

Don't over think.
    I'm in year 11 so am picking my a levels soon , I'm thinking of doing :
    -history
    -economics
    But I'm not sure on what else to do , I want to go on to study law so what other a levels would you recommend

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.