Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is modern culture destroying moral values ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minju)
    Yes they are part of modern living.
    You know that cannabis has been used in Shamanic society for thousands of years, right?

Personally I'd go way back when and say that the moment that society shifted from being a partnership society to a dominator society was the day that moral values were destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minju)
    Look how family life was back in this country 60 or more years ago and now look at it, it's in complete shambles. Teenage pregnancies across the board, abortions, half of kids in this country are born with one parent,kids stabbing each others etc....

Modern lifestyle ( drinking, smoking, taking weed) has had an adverse affect on human behaviour in my opinion.

Women got habituated to modern type of dressing which makes them look bad wearing the more 'modern' they look pretty much equates to wearing less and less clothes .

Manners like respecting parents, teachers, the elderly,etc seem to not exist any more,kids are cursing at their own parents.Children seem fearless now to adults because they know they have more rights ... :mad:

What's dangerous is when the moral standards decrease, the respect of others also decreases.

What do you think?
    Nah… 60 or more years ago? Racism, homophobia etc. I think we've improved a little. Young people feel so strongly about morals that it almost becomes scary - almost anything said now is an attack on POCs for example - and people feel so strongly about it. It's not necessarily bad, if anything it's good that people are standing up for what they believe in and their rights but a little scary at times.

Although people are losing their manners and some of their dignity - when it comes to dress sense and general public behaviour - this has happened throughout history.

But it is good for the younger population to question their elders, one must just ensure that it is done in a polite and respectful manner.

ReputationRep:
    Whos to say that behaviour is immoral? It's just a way of life.

ReputationRep:
    Good to see that I am not the only one who feels nostalgic about I time that I have never lived in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    Good to see that I am not the only one who feels nostalgic about I time that I have never lived in.
    Welcome to the club!

Let's name it 'Old is gold'!

ReputationRep:
    Less racism, less homophobia, less religion, more choices, more social mobility, advances in medical care. Don't really get what your on about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minju)
    Welcome to the club!

Let's name it 'Old is gold'!
    I welcome it!

Let's me list the things that I liked about the days of old:
    • There were no supermarkets, meaning the community relied on small businesses
    • People referred to elders as "Mrs and Mr so-and-so"
    • There was little regard for health and safety
    • Children played cricket and football all day long
    • England was good at sport
    • People were more welcoming with strangers
    • Young men were taught to be gents instead of "lads".
    • Houses were cheaper due to more space
    • Food was almost always home-cooked. Did you know that the compliment used to be "that looks homemade" rather than "that looks shop-bought"?
    • Divorce was extremely uncommon
    • The dress sense was far more modest. I feel that the excessive display of skin implies sexual connotations, even if these are not intended.
    • The men used to dress up in dinner jackets just to go to somebody' house.
    • The music was new and original - Duke Ellington, The Beatles, etc.
    • Children were more inventive with their leisure time
    • Everybody played the piano. Pianos were a house feature in those days.
    • Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby were gods

Yeah, I think I was born in the wrong era... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I welcome it!

• There were no supermarkets, meaning the community relied on small businesses
    • People referred to elders as "Mrs and Mr so-and-so"
    • There was little regard for health and safety
    • Children played cricket and football all day long
    • England was good at sport
    • People were more welcoming with strangers
    • Young men were taught to be gents instead of "lads".
    • Houses were cheaper due to more space
    • Food was almost always home-cooked. Did you know that the compliment used to be "that looks homemade" rather than "that looks shop-bought"?
    • Divorce was extremely uncommon
    • The dress sense was far more modest. I feel that the excessive display of skin implies sexual connotations, even if these are not intended.
    • The men used to dress up in dinner jackets just to go to somebody' house.
    • The music was new and original - Duke Ellington, The Beatles, etc.
    • Children were more inventive with their leisure time
    • Everybody played the piano. Pianos were a house feature in those days.
    • Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby were gods

This

ReputationRep:
    So who here actually lived 60 years ago? My guess in nobody.

ReputationRep:
    Drinking, smoking, and taking drugs were far more prevalent in the past than now.

Tbh, the past is complete ****. I have no inkling to return to it whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but can't do anything about it now... and it'll only get worse until technology is advanced and ubiquitous enough to make everyone at least comfortable and on a more even playing field

ReputationRep:
    I welcome it!

• 1) There were no supermarkets, meaning the community relied on small businesses
      2) People referred to elders as "Mrs and Mr so-and-so"
      3) There was little regard for health and safety
      4) Children played cricket and football all day long
      5) England was good at sport
      6) People were more welcoming with strangers
      7) Young men were taught to be gents instead of "lads".
      8) Houses were cheaper due to more space
      9) Food was almost always home-cooked. Did you know that the compliment used to be "that looks homemade" rather than "that looks shop-bought"?
      10) Divorce was extremely uncommon
      11) The dress sense was far more modest. I feel that the excessive display of skin implies sexual connotations, even if these are not intended.
      12) The men used to dress up in dinner jackets just to go to somebody' house.
      13) The music was new and original - Duke Ellington, The Beatles, etc.
      14) Children were more inventive with their leisure time
      15) Everybody played the piano. Pianos were a house feature in those days.
      16) Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby were gods

1) Peoples diets were much less varied and poorer.
    2) You still can.
    3) I'm sure all the people that were killed or injured in industrial accidents really enjoyed the lack of Health and Safety
    4) And?
    5) Best Olympics ever 2 years ago, also few countries were in the international competitions back then.
    6) That's probably because we conquered their country.
    7) Depends which class you were born into.
    8) Yes and they didn't have any concept of restraint and now our population has tripled great job.
    9) Yes and peoples diets were generally lacking.
    10) Helplines for abused spouses and children didn't exist at the time.
    11) You have a very selective memory of old fasion.
    12) and?
    13) There is loads of indie music, try actually looking for it.
    14) How have you quantified this?
    15) Where have you come up with this?
    16) Still are, they're just dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minju)
    Look how family life was back in this country 60 or more years ago and now look at it, it's in complete shambles. Teenage pregnancies across the board, abortions, half of kids in this country are born with one parent,kids stabbing each others etc....

Modern lifestyle ( drinking, smoking, taking weed) has had an adverse affect on human behaviour in my opinion.

Women got habituated to modern type of dressing which makes them look bad wearing the more 'modern' they look pretty much equates to wearing less and less clothes .

Manners like respecting parents, teachers, the elderly,etc seem to not exist any more,kids are cursing at their own parents.Children seem fearless now to adults because they know they have more rights ... :mad:

What's dangerous is when the moral standards decrease, the respect of others also decreases.

What do you think?
    Totally agree.

Surprised you didn't mention violent video games and television and film, which affects people too.

Our ancestors conquered half the world and gave it science, maths, technology, nearly all modern inventions.

Now look at us. farting all day and playing x box and eating imported junk food. unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minju)

What do you think?
    The bit in bold is inaccurate - violent crime is actually lower now than it was 60 or more years ago. You also had people in Britain being chemically castrated for being gay and in America it was seen as the norm for kids to get the day off school so they could watch black men get lynched. I think I'd pick to live today rather than 60 years ago, personally (although I will admit there was some pretty good music, then)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minju)
    Yes they are part of modern living.
    Lol sorry but what? Drinking and smoking have existed for centuries. The only "modern" difference is that their is a legal age limit for these activities now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, peoples values are just changing.

ReputationRep:
    Poor parenting is the primary cause of moral decline, coupled by the media's normalisation of immorality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #Ridwan)
    Poor parenting is the primary cause of moral decline, coupled by the media's normalisation of immorality.
    Depends what you consider to be immoral?
    People make their own choices in life. An individual could have great parents who took an active role and tried to instil good values but the child still grows up to be a ****. Although despite this, yes I'm inclined to agree that poor parenting is certainly an issue in today's society.

I think the media blows things way out of proportion. If we are to believe what the media tells us then it wouldn't be safe to leave our homes. I don't think society has degenerated or is as depraved as the media would have us believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yes it is destroying moral values and by doing this society is being gradually destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool_blaze)
    yes it is destroying moral values and by doing this society is being gradually destroyed.
    Indeed

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.