Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

For all Bio students/module takers/enthusiasts around, just so you are aware, if you are looking at societies UEA BioSoc is an excellent way to meet new people. As a fresher last year I gained so many new friends through Biosoc and it's a great way to help you settle in to Uni life. It's surprising how quickly you make friends when you are on a three legged crawl around Norwich! The society organises a range of social events throughout the year including the winter ball (which is awesome) and also organise the UEA bio hoodies every year as well - which are comf. They also do quizzes and academic/career related events with the E&E club.

Check out the facebook page if you fancy hearing more.

All the Best
    Hopefully catch you in September

ReputationRep:
    During Freshers last year I remember there was a small group trying to set up a Harry Potter society, but I then heard nothing about it. It was surprising given the number of sign-ups they seemed to have.

Otherwise, there is a tonne of societies, and you'll definitely find something you enjoy. The list linked doesn't seem to be complete - as noted, Houmous and Doctor Who are missing, and I'd note Mainstream Media is missing too - but it does seem to be slowly getting updated - last time I checked before today, several more societies, like Cinema society, were missing. As for setting up, as jft18 said, it's very possible to do, and the Societies Office are very helpful in explaining how it works.

As a student who still lives at home, I suspect I am a great deal less help than most people (I don't know anything about uni accommodation other than it being more expensive than out-of-uni accommodation, and I don't know how food shopping in Norwich compares to other cities), but also still willing to answer questions if I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jahlila)
    During Freshers last year I remember there was a small group trying to set up a Harry Potter society, but I then heard nothing about it. It was surprising given the number of sign-ups they seemed to have.

Otherwise, there is a tonne of societies, and you'll definitely find something you enjoy. The list linked doesn't seem to be complete - as noted, Houmous and Doctor Who are missing, and I'd note Mainstream Media is missing too - but it does seem to be slowly getting updated - last time I checked before today, several more societies, like Cinema society, were missing. As for setting up, as jft18 said, it's very possible to do, and the Societies Office are very helpful in explaining how it works.

As a student who still lives at home, I suspect I am a great deal less help than most people (I don't know anything about uni accommodation other than it being more expensive than out-of-uni accommodation, and I don't know how food shopping in Norwich compares to other cities), but also still willing to answer questions if I can.
    Not necessarily, I've paid about the same annual rent for the last 4 years, the first being in the campus ensuite halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jft18)
    Hey guys,
    Sorry to butt in, but I've just finished at the UEA so can hopefully answer some questions
    As for clubs/societies, I know everyone has mentioned quidditch (which looks incredible!) but do remember that if you have an idea for a society which doesn't exist yet, you can set one up if there is enough interest!
    Also for accomodation, you rank all of the options in order, and most people will get something which is at least in their top three! It doesn't matter what sort of mix you put, I think my top three included a shared room, a standard single and an en suite, so don't worry about being confusing!! If there are any issues within the first few weeks and you really hate your room, there is normally an option to shift around campus too, so please don't worry about halls!
    Feel free to shoot any other UEA related questions my way!
    J x
    Hi is Uea more like a village( countryside) place etc farms compared to Manchester and is it a really good university, and how's the nightlife there and the shopping centre. Ta

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prudence290497)
    Hi is Uea more like a village( countryside) place etc farms compared to Manchester and is it a really good university, and how's the nightlife there and the shopping centre. Ta

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Around the uni is kinda half countrysidy half built up with houses but the city centre is only 3 miles away. I'm from London and find the shopping great- all the shops you want are within walking distance of each other and there isn't anything I've missed. Nightlife is great for the size of the place, the LCR on campus is popular and there are 3 bigger clubs in town and numerous smaller ones as well as many pubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Around the uni is kinda half countrysidy half built up with houses but the city centre is only 3 hours away. I'm from London and find the shopping great- all the shops you want are within walking distance of each other and there isn't anything I've missed. Nightlife is great for the size of the place, the LCR on campus is popular and there are 3 bigger clubs in town and numerous smaller ones as well as many pubs.
    So u mean its 3hours to Go to the city centre:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So u mean its 3hours to Go to the city centre:sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whoops I meant 3 miles, which is around 15 minutes on the bus

ReputationRep:
    Whoops I meant 3 miles, which is around 15 minutes on the bus
    OK thanks for the info, I'm not sure if u studied there but how would u rank UEA as I might put it as my first choice. I mean how would u rank it according to their facilities, the university its self The student union and the city. Thanks for all the info

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks for the info, I'm not sure if u studied there but how would u rank UEA as I might put it as my first choice. I mean how would u rank it according to their facilities, the university its self The student union and the city. Thanks for all the info
    I'm in my fourth year at UEA so happy to help. Overall I would rank it fairly highly- accomodation is reasonable priced compared to other unis and mostly fairly modern, clean and a good size. The student union puts on some great events like club nights and gigs that are very popular, I love the city because it has all the shops/pubs/restaurants/clubs I would expect coming from London but a lot closer together. Most of the tutors I have had have been very approachable, helpful and understanding. The university administrative system can sometimes be a bit slow but tutors understand this and can often help you work around things.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my fourth year at UEA so happy to help. Overall I would rank it fairly highly- accomodation is reasonable priced compared to other unis and mostly fairly modern, clean and a good size. The student union puts on some great events like club nights and gigs that are very popular, I love the city because it has all the shops/pubs/restaurants/clubs I would expect coming from London but a lot closer together. Most of the tutors I have had have been very approachable, helpful and understanding. The university administrative system can sometimes be a bit slow but tutors understand this and can often help you work around things.
    Thank you soooo much I feel much better n sure about the Uni when I'm making my application. So do u live in a house or shared flats n is it ensuite or shared bathrooms +how clean are their showers lol

ReputationRep:
    Thank you soooo much I feel much better n sure about the Uni when I'm making my application. So do u live in a house or shared flats n is it ensuite or shared bathrooms +how clean are their showers lol
    I live off campus in a shared house, but I lived in ensuite halls in first year. All bathrooms in halls get cleaned by a cleaner.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, I've paid about the same annual rent for the last 4 years, the first being in the campus ensuite halls.
    I'd say on average renting after first year is generally cheaper in Norwich. I mean the village was £91 per week, for the last three years I've paid £50-60 per week depending on where I've lived in the city. Although if you're paying a lot for bills, then you quickly lose that advantage.

Or go with N-power, and you'll save a lot in a year because they're too incompetent to give you a utility bill for a whole year :rolleyes: two months after moving out, still nothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    UEA is located on the outskirts of Norwich (a city, definitely not a village!!). Although a lot smaller than Manchester, you'll struggle to find something it's missing, an IKEA is the only thing I can think of. Norwich is a very quirky city, there's always something going on. It's brilliant for shopping, you have all the normal high street brands, but also the market stalls at the centre of the city and the tiny lanes full of small independent shops (many aren't expensive). Definitely prefer it for shopping compared to London.

Yes once you leave Norwich you are straight into the countryside. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, Norfolk's countryside is beautiful and easily accessed by public transport. A 30 minute train/bus journey and you're at Great Yarmouth or an hour for Cromer/Sheringham, or if you get off the train at one of the earlier stops you're in the Norfolk Broads and renting a boat out for a couple of hours at Wroxham between a group of 6+ can cost about the same amount as a taxi in Norwich! Everyone should experience the Norfolk countryside at least once during their degree. (Says the very bias Environment student who spent a year working in the Norfolk countryside).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makingamemory)
    I'd say on average renting after first year is generally cheaper in Norwich. I mean the village was £91 per week, for the last three years I've paid £50-60 per week depending on where I've lived in the city. Although if you're paying a lot for bills, then you quickly lose that advantage.

Or go with N-power, and you'll save a lot in a year because they're too incompetent to give you a utility bill for a whole year :rolleyes: two months after moving out, still nothing!

UEA is located on the outskirts of Norwich (a city, definitely not a village!!). Although a lot smaller than Manchester, you'll struggle to find something it's missing, an IKEA is the only thing I can think of. Norwich is a very quirky city, there's always something going on. It's brilliant for shopping, you have all the normal high street brands, but also the market stalls at the centre of the city and the tiny lanes full of small independent shops (many aren't expensive). Definitely prefer it for shopping compared to London.

Yes once you leave Norwich you are straight into the countryside. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, Norfolk's countryside is beautiful and easily accessed by public transport. A 30 minute train/bus journey and you're at Great Yarmouth or an hour for Cromer/Sheringham, or if you get off the train at one of the earlier stops you're in the Norfolk Broads and renting a boat out for a couple of hours at Wroxham between a group of 6+ can cost about the same amount as a taxi in Norwich! Everyone should experience the Norfolk countryside at least once during their degree. (Says the very bias Environment student who spent a year working in the Norfolk countryside).
    Yes but the licence contract in halls is only 38 weeks, a house is for a whole year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makingamemory)

Thankssss sooooo much for this info, I'm feeling better about making my application to UEA now.:yy::yy::yy::awesome::p:D:top:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.