Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My doctor doesn't take my mental health seriously. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Did you explain how badly it affects for example if it affects your sleep, eating habits, motivation and how it affects day to day life? For example loosing interest in every day activities. You could also consider seeing another doctor and asking him for help.

ReputationRep:
    You may have days where you feel okay but when you go to your GP explain how your worst days are and hopefully they will realise that you don't just feel down in the dumps.

Explain how it affects studying and life in general.

Nightworld1066

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Because I am. Just because you receive treatment doesn't mean you'll be better.
    Yes of course, but the fact that you have had treatment for a long period of time, you are overly concerned with labels rather than your quality of life, and haven't already changed doctors given you know he is 'trivialising' makes me think something is amiss.
    How long and how frequently did you have both CBT and counselling? And meds- which ones and dose??
    See the thing is, under NICE guidelines (one of many resources out there) you really are treatment resistant in the pathways, if everything you say is true. Most people in this category are admitted to hospital or given courses of ECT at that stage.
    So, is it really as bad as you say it is? Or are you just pissed at the doc? Has he ever explored the possibility of other mental health diagnoses such as personality disorders?
    (PS I'm not trying to be rude, just putting it straight. BTW I have longstanding but stable mental health concerns and am in the medical field so I'm not just some random troll)

ReputationRep:
    But surely if the university want more than a low mood to get extra support and DSA then you have a big point to make, because they can't give you a diagnosis willy billy to satisfy the patient otherwise people will abuse it and claim that they have depression but in reality they are lazy and don't wanna do work. But if you have genuine mental health concern then please take it forward.

Nightworld1066

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.