Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    x
    Ohh one of them is bound to be helpful (hopefully) lol and I will definitely be recording my lectures as I have a short-ish attention span. Do lecturers mind what you do during lectures? Which area of pharmacy are you interested in going into? I'm thinking of hospital pharmacy so I think I'll enjoy the IPL and more practical pharmacy

I'm considering Aston, Bath, Brighton, East anglia and Keele /Reading

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgyelhsa)
    Ohh one of them is bound to be helpful (hopefully) lol and I will definitely be recording my lectures as I have a short-ish attention span. Do lecturers mind what you do during lectures? Which area of pharmacy are you interested in going into? I'm thinking of hospital pharmacy so I think I'll enjoy the IPL and more practical pharmacy

I'm considering Aston, Bath, Brighton, East anglia and Keele /Reading

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah out of mine one was very helpful, one was there if I needed them and one was a bit meh.

Yeah some mind if you play games and not pay attention, however I made sure I was listening whilst playing games, answered questions when asked and made some notes in between playing games so I was okay.

At the moment I'm considering community, haven't got any experience or anything just yet as I decided to take the first year easy. I'm going to be getting more experience in various fields this year.

Yeah they teach you a wide array of things from the very science aspects of pharmacy i.e pharmaceutical science which is more useful in industry/hospital to the more people orientated skills in foundations in pharmacy practice which is more community.

I would definitely recommend UEA. It is a great university for pharmacy. My opinion is slightly bias though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    x
    Do lecturers randomly ask you questions or is it the raise your hand it you know the answer type thing? Also are lectures sometimes mixed with people from other courses and are there loads of people?

Right now I'm doing work experience at a pharmacy and enjoying it so I'd do community pharmacy if I don't enjoy clinical (plus the pay is more ). Is it hard to get placements?

Haha everyone always says their uni is the best! How do you find UEA outside of the pharmacy course? Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do lecturers randomly ask you questions or is it the raise your hand it you know the answer type thing? Also are lectures sometimes mixed with people from other courses and are there loads of people?

Right now I'm doing work experience at a pharmacy and enjoying it so I'd do community pharmacy if I don't enjoy clinical (plus the pay is more ). Is it hard to get placements?

Haha everyone always says their uni is the best! How do you find UEA outside of the pharmacy course? Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a raise hand if you know type thing. No the lectures for pharmacy are only for pharmacy student, we don't have mixed lectures with other courses.

They organise placements for you. First year is only half a day at a hospital and half a day at a community but they get progressively longer year on year.

That depends on previous experience, how well your right your CV (You get help with this both on the course where it's marked as part of your portfolio and off the course within the university job area place thing).

It's a beautiful city, a lot of greenery, large open fields, where you can go on long walks or just relax. A lot of wildlife. The uni itself is like a concrete jungle but you get use to it and its nice have such a concrete uni surrounded by so much greenland. I can't comment on the clubbing scene as I don't go, it's not my thing but the gym is great, and will most likely have something that you enjoy doing. Many societies to join. In the city centre you have some really nice looking cobbled streets with small quirky independent shops. As well as the large independent stores. People bike everywhere. So all in all it's a pretty nice place and city.

ReputationRep:
    It was and Thank you again for the resource! Wow your timetable is great compared to others I've seen! Was there lots of work you had to do outside of lectures though? Do you often get scenarios like the pain case to solve?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey,

Yeah, although we only had 10 hours of lectures a week, they were bloody intense at times haha! In the first introductory lecture, our course leader (a qualified pharmacist himself) suggested that we should treat this degree like a full time job, i.e. work 40 hours a week including lecture/workshop time. In reality, however, for the first year we did barely any work additional to the lectures, but then coming up to exam time, I spent about 12 hours per day x 6 days per week going through lecture content slide by slide for about 5-6 weeks. With the amount of effort I've put in, I'm currently expecting a 1st for 3 modules and either a high 2:1 or a low 1st for the 4th module. (I know I've definitely achieved a 1st overall based on how the exams went).

When it comes to lectures, content is crammed into 50 mins, so you get a lecture like this from the Pain case: 45 slides covered in 50 mins, for which you then often have to spend an hour or two of your own time in order to understand all the information.

The scenarios are there so that you can understand what the case is all about. They're always introduced in the first lecture of each new case, and the lectures in the case are essentially there to help you solve the case.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: ppt11 Pain, Opioids and Endogenous Mechanisms.ppt (7.42 MB, 86 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    x
    Oh at UCL I was told other places mixed lectures...does it really affect the learning though?
    What other things does the portfolio involve?

I find the uni quite odd looking haha, is it easy to get lost on campus? Do you have to pay much for gym membership there?

Thanks for the info!

ReputationRep:
    Oh at UCL I was told other places mixed lectures...does it really affect the learning though?
    What other things does the portfolio involve?

I find the uni quite odd looking haha, is it easy to get lost on campus? Do you have to pay much for gym membership there?

Thanks for the info!
    I wouldn't think it would. I guess the class size is the only thing that would affect learning. With a smaller class you'll have more opportunity to ask questions, and would help if your shy, but a larger class from different courses would expose yourself to questions and ways of thinking that as a pharmacist you may not think of.
    I guess it's down to personal preference.

You create a professional development plan for a skill like teamwork, leadership etc.. then gather evidence for it throughout the year, you do a CV which is marked as part of it, IPL is marked as part of it, just small things you do throughout the year add to it.

You get use to it, there's a lot of secret ways and shortcuts that you can do to get in and out of places very quickly.

The gym fee is subsidised by the uni, I didn't join the uni gym last year because it didn't really fit by needs. (Didn't have a squat rack that I needed). So I found a local gym in town that I went to, which I think worked out cheaper but was 3 or so miles away, the free weights section since the start of the year has undergone some work and I think they now have a squat rack, but I'll probably be sticking to the gym in town as I like the atmosphere. In terms of other facilities, it has a lot, 5-a-side pitches, various classes, squash courts, cardio etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    x
    That is intense revision! However I will probably end up doing that Do lectures stop long before exam time so people can independently revise? Also does the first year count towards your degree overall that much?

Good luck with your marks! If you get a 1st overall, are you more likely to be employed after your pre reg year than someone with a 2:1 or is your experience more important?

That sounds like lots of information to absorb but luckily the slides aren't text heavy are the powerpoints available online?

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    That is intense revision! However I will probably end up doing that Do lectures stop long before exam time so people can independently revise? Also does the first year count towards your degree overall that much?

Good luck with your marks! If you get a 1st overall, are you more likely to be employed after your pre reg year than someone with a 2:1 or is your experience more important?

That sounds like lots of information to absorb but luckily the slides aren't text heavy are the powerpoints available online?

Thanks again!
    Yeah, it was intense but worth it in the end. Lectures in first year stopped like in the first week of May, after which it was just revision up until the last exam. Our first exam was actually coursework for the Pharmacy Practice module, which took place on the 29th April (the day we came back from Easter holidays). Then we had OSCEs from the 12-14th May, then a written paper on the 20th May, a calculations exam on the 5th June, and the last written exam on the 12th June.

At Brighton, the 1st and 2nd years do not count towards the final degree classification (but of course you still need to achieve 40% in each module in order to go in to the next year). Years 3 and 4 carry a weighting of 50% each for the final classification.

Cheers! Yeah, I got my marks, I got 82% in PY161 Pharmaceutical Sciences, 74% in PY162 Therapeutics, 79% in PY163 Pharmacy Practice, and 82% in PY164 Pharmaceutical Attitudes and Skills. So I got a 1st in each module and a 1st overall. From what I understand, as long as you get a 2:2 in your degree, your degree classification doesn't matter. (Don't quote me on that though )

Yeah, all PowerPoints are uploaded onto StudentCentral (our university learning portal) either the day before the lecture or a few hours after the lecture. Some lecturers are really efficient and upload them like a week in advance!

Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Does anyone know how Pharmacy is taught in Portsmouth? am I going to be in disadvantage because the university is average? I got in through adjustment an now I'm considering taking a gap year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.