Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm hideous in photos Watch

ReputationRep:
    Average magazine models look beautiful in their photos, but in real life most of them have extremely angular and weird faces.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean Although apparently, cameras squash pictures into 2D so we do look weird. I find this comforting and hope it's true!

I always hate how I look in public and wish I could look how I look at home. I wouldn't say I'm good looking to start with, but in public whenever I catch sight of myself, I look bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Tried eating less?
    Now that's just mean, tut tut at you.
    Honestly when it comes to pictures and certain bone structures anyone can look fat regardless of whether or not they are. I was underweight at one point and I still looked fat in the face in certain pictures because of the angle.

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Tried eating less?
    I barely eat anything as it is, I'm not a very hungry person. Plus I'm nowhere near fat.

ReputationRep:
    Im generally considered to be not bad looking in real life but I usually look awful in photos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I'm relatively attractive but, in the words of my partner 'I'm so ****ing glad you aren't horrific looking like you are in photographs'

So it isn't just you.
    Hahaha my partner said "you're really hot irl but in a lot of photos you look a bit disabled"

Thanks babe <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Hahaha my partner said "you're really hot irl but in a lot of photos you look a bit disabled"

Thanks babe <3
    How did we land such complimentary other half's???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    How did we land such complimentary other half's???
    Must be our sexy looking photos; they can't resist

ReputationRep:
    Camera adds 10lbs

Therefore, two cameras add 20lbs... nomsayin? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Nope, I have this problem as well. I also can't for the life of me give a convincing natural smile on cue.

I also try to avoid looking at reflections of my face when outside lest I get a sudden drop in self confidence :sad:
    Aww don't worry, you are the most beautiful cat in a hoody I have ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you are hideous?

Learn to work your angles

I think I look better in real life too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichelBraga)
    Average magazine models look beautiful in their photos, but in real life most of them have extremely angular and weird faces.
    Thats because of photoshop lol.

ReputationRep:
    Most people just aren't very good at taking photos, and there's no point in blaming the cameras. An example is this profile picture I'm Using. I took it in my bathroom (I'm sure it was against a mirror), and bathrooms are the worst places to take pictures. Most in door places are tbh. The lighting is too dim. Add to that, it has been condensed down to fit the pixels. If you want a photo to look more 3D then you need decent lighting, and a lens that has decent depth of field. That's why most selfies are crap.

Put your brightest light behind you, a couple of metres depending on the size of your room, but make sure it's shining across you. Something like a lamp on a desk can be used to light parts of your face, and if you really want too, you can use the room light for overhead lighting, but make sure it doesn't look over exposed. Plus it's always better to take pictures in the day and use as much natural light as possible, as the artificial light won't match its colour.

You'd think in todays culture people would be able to take better photos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichelBraga)
    Extremely angular faces aren't 'average' faces though...

ReputationRep:
    I feel that way at times. Sometimes I look half-decent in pictures, but other times I look quite bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartplums)
    Aww don't worry, you are the most beautiful cat in a hoody I have ever seen.
    That dam cat gets all the pussy... cats.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same as you and I just don't let other people take pictures and tend to take them myself. However I'm sure your aren't that bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I look dreadful in photos too, and it really affects my self-confidence, and for a long time altered my own perception of myself, to the extent where I believed I was unattractive. Appearing in less photos kind of helped, as it was always pretty disheartening to see loads of photos uploaded onto facebook after a night out and me looking awful whilst everyone else looked great.

But yeah, I have no constructive advice, just sympathy :/

ReputationRep:
    I think I look better in drunk photos. Probably the only person in the world to think this but when I'm drunk I don't feel uncomfortable in front of a camera so I look happier which makes a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    I hate most pictures of myself! I always dodge cameras and up tag pictures of myself on Facebook. I always feel I look fine in person but as soon as someone takes a picture of me, I think I'm the most hideous person ever!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.