The Student Room Group

SJT Preparation Courses

Scroll to see replies

I prey that by the time I graduate something new will have replaced SJT. Sorry guys :P
Reply 21
Original post by Future Doc
I prey that by the time I graduate something new will have replaced SJT. Sorry guys :P

Unfortunately, I think it is here to say for quite some time.

It's already been used for GP Training selection since 2007, quite successfully. So I think we will be seeing more SJTs in selection to training rather than less.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by carcinoma
I do agree with this.

I think the importance is identifying which SJT theme they are asking about, and answer with those principles in mind/common sense/logical judgement.

However, it is too high risk to leave it down to limited preparation. I cant just accept getting 38 or 39, iv worked too hard thus far for it to all count for nothing, on the basis of an average score in the SJT.

What is the point of getting a high ranking, additional degree ect, if that still may not be enough to get your job of choice?

I do think and hope that appropriate and directed preparation can help.

Can't explain it, I'm just not worried about the SJT? Maybe I should be. I'm generally an exam-worrier-type, but honestly I think it will be fine :dontknow:
Currently working my way through SJT At a Glance which appears to have digested all the guidance and mixed it with anecdotes to tell you what you should do in situations. Thought this would be more useful than endless practice questions and books disagreeing over answers. Though, as you know Carcinoma, I haven't sat it yet so can't say it'll work.
Banterous lecture today from one of our directors of education:

- No correlation between performance at med school and SJT score (as already stated on website) *
- No correlation between mock and real SJT score **
- Little difference between Year 1 and Year 6 on mock SJT **
- Element of luck inherent, as even experts disagree on right/wrong answers **

- When asked what exactly the SJT does test - if not academic excellence* or little semblance of anything else** - the test makers replied to faculty saying that it "tests everything"

- Nationally, the lowest performers are non-UK/non-EU. The next lowest performers are EU (non-UK)

Ergo:
- The SJT doesn't really test anything
- The SJT is a randomiser. It reliably stops all the next level guys gravitating towards the South East so easily
- The SJT is a test of English language comprehension
Original post by Blatant Troll
Banterous lecture today from one of our directors of education:

Do you have the citations for that, if they're published? I'd love to put those studies up on facebook/generally spread them around :colone:
Not published unfortunately. For the first point, as well internal uni number crunching the lecturer also cited the test makers' own report here. The extract in question is on page 52.

Significant correlations were found between SJT scores and EPM decile scores, and
between SJT scores and total EPM scores.

Their significant 'correlation' (buried within the report on page 41): r=0.3 :rolleyes:

Whilst these correlations are significant, indicating a degree of shared variance/commonality between the assessment methods, there is also a large amount of the variance that is not explained, indicating that the SJT appears to be assessing somewhat different constructs from the EPM.

Well no ****
(edited 9 years ago)
I've been through this thread searching for the ideal way of preparation for the SJT but couldn't find it. I am sitting my exam next January.

Is there any sort of plan for preparation?? I should start by the "GMC Good Medical Practice" but what else? There are a bunch on books on the web but I don't know which one is the best and which is the worst....In addition, should I take a course? and which one is the best???

Any advice? I feel kinda lost between the loads of info that is available about this weird test!

Also I'm looking forward to finding a study partner if available.
Does anyone know how a raw mark in the SJT is made into a score out of 50? I did the mock online but I'm not sure how "good" a score it is (I got 80 something percent).

From what I've read, the scores are based on your ranking so it's all relative or have I completely misunderstood that?
Hi i scored 34 points but im an EU graduate so i assume most British candidates would score higher than that...i went through GMC guidelines and found it beneficial. I purchased couple of books the red one with 250 questions i booked 2 online courses and i can say honestly its waste of time and money i still would score the same points without any preparation. The clue is to read fast and highlight the most important info which will help u to solve the questions. Its more about common sense and good luck
Original post by carcinoma
I know that these courses are largely just money making.

However, did anyone go on any which were either cheap or very good?

https://sjtpreparation.co.uk - anyone have anything to say about this one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

**** it, booked onto this course. Will let you guys know how it is.
Hi,

I was wondering from those of you who have attended courses - is the stjpreperation one okay? Would you recommended any others? Anyone attended the MDU one?

Thank you
Original post by RW1981
Beware people planning on going on Medset's course, apparently its claims of 6.9% have no evidence. It seems to be new and poor copy of other courses. I'd recommend speaking to people in years above, doing your research and going with one of the courses backed by one of the indemnity providers.

Do you run another course? You seem to have posted that message twice :laugh::laugh::laugh: My friend went on the Medset course last year and said he found it really useful.

I don't think reading the GMC guidelines is that effective as they're so generic, I've been told its better to do questions and discuss the answers and maybe do a course.

What are other people doing?
Reply 33
I hate the way people charge for these courses :angry::angry: just out to make money I think :unimpressed::unimpressed:. Seems like most people I know to went on the sjtpreparation course last year so I'll go to theirs as it looks the most official. I've looked a few others and they definitely just want our money so screw them :rant::rant::rant: Where are you doing your FP Hannah? What score did you get on the SJT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending