Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's official, the UK is the gayest nation in Europe! Watch

    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    happy that we are increasingly tolerant but really what does this map even mean?
    • Community Assistant
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    For all this country's faults, we are quite a tolerant society and this news doesn't surprise me very much.

    But apparently, some UKIP supporters are building an ark to save themselves from the coming floods.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamptastic)
    We are getting better though, slowly but surely
    Jah. It's a tough cookie but tis crumbling!

    Hmmf, now me want cookie! :cookie:
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    Germany surprises me a bit - but then I always forget how catholic it actually is. I'd be interested to know what the remaining 16% consists of - maybe because NI doesn't have full equality yet?
    It's mostly protestant.
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    It's mostly protestant.
    Not since the '80s. Common mistake, and my point was that it's one I would also have made before I lived there.

    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...y#Christianity
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambrosia_angel)
    I don't quite understand the percentage though
    What don't you get? How it's worked out or what it is supposed to represent? (or both)
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    You call us the gayest nation...I would say the most fabulous
    Haha, tres drole dahling! :danceboy:
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    i can't @ Monaco 10%, San Marino 14%, Cyprus 20%

    lower than Georgia!

    Surprised Portugal and Spain are far different when it comes to LGBT rights with other Mediterranean nations like Greece and Italy. They are even higher than Scandinavia! (shock!)

    Hungary 54%!! Albania higher than neighbours Greece & Italy which are EU members.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    I'd be interested to know what the remaining 16% consists of - maybe because NI doesn't have full equality yet?
    The remaining 16%? Not sure I follow..
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    The remaining 16%? Not sure I follow..
    The link in your OP is basically rating us as having enacted 84% of the legislation that would be required to create full LGBT equality. I'm wondering what they consider is needed to make us 100% equal. The only things I can think of are that NI doesn't have gay marriage yet, gay men can't donate blood and possibly some legislation relating to trans people.

    Edit: I realise that it's actually 82%, so it should be remaining 18% - may explain the confusion.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    The link in your OP is basically rating us as having enacted 84% of the legislation that would be required to create full LGBT equality. I'm wondering what they consider is needed to make us 100% equal. The only things I can think of are that NI doesn't have gay marriage yet, gay men can't donate blood and possibly some legislation relating to trans people.

    Edit: I realise that it's actually 82%, so it should be remaining 18% - may explain the confusion.
    Its actually in the link, and imo is a bit off anyway. It talking about 100% equality, but the main places we have lost points are laws and policies against discrimination and laws and policies against hate speech/crime, they aren't really equality they are special protections. Those are 80% and 61% respectively in terms of what they deem completion. Legal gender recognition is 77%, I guess we still only have 2 genders on passports and such but I can't see that changing anytime soon. We get 75% for asylum, of gay refugees I'm guessing.

    • Offline

      15
      (Original post by MancStudent098)
      Germany surprises me a bit - but then I always forget how catholic it actually is.
      Germany is a protestant nation....
      Offline

      3
      ReputationRep:
      Absolutely fabulous

      I am slightly surprised that the Nordic countries rank below us, I was under the impression they were glorious liberal utopias.
      Offline

      13
      ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      Germany is a protestant nation....
      As I explained before....

      (Original post by MancStudent098)
      Not since the '80s. Common mistake, and my point was that it's one I would also have made before I lived there.

      See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio...y#Christianity
      • Thread Starter
      Offline

      18
      ReputationRep:
      (Original post by andrew2209)
      I'm surprised Scandinavia and the Netherlands are lower than the UK
      Must admit I was expecting Scandinavia to be in the same ballpark eh
      Offline

      1
      ReputationRep:
      (Original post by yo radical one)
      Absolutely fabulous

      I am slightly surprised that the Nordic countries rank below us, I was under the impression they were glorious liberal utopias.
      Same!
      I always imagined them as a safe haven for my future in case homophobia in the UK increases but clearly I am in the best place right now...
      Offline

      8
      ReputationRep:
      Given a couple of movies I happened to catch recentishly I am not surprised at Scandinavia ranking lower than us.
      Offline

      0
      ReputationRep:
      That's gay.
      Offline

      18
      ReputationRep:
      Lithuania being 22% is somehow unbelievable :laugh:
      • Thread Starter
      Offline

      18
      ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mutleybm1996)
      We also have one of the highest immigration rates and in a few years white british will be the ethnic minority. Doesn't mean we all like it but there's nothing we can do, it's the decision of those in power
      You believe the protection of human rights among homosexuals constitutes a problem in our society? :beard:
     
     
     
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.