Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B690 - Broadcasting (Sporting Events) Bill 2014 Watch

ReputationRep:
    There are other events aside from sport! What about musical/literary/political/scientific/cultural events?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'd honestly rather you just made create a Sports channel and removed all the protection so they could show what gets the ratings. Much simpler.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsKid)
    There are other events aside from sport! What about musical/literary/political/scientific/cultural events?
    Maybe leave then out of the Broadcasting (Sporting Events) Bill though. That's not to say we can't have a bill covering them, but it should be separate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Maybe leave then out of the Broadcasting (Sporting Events) Bill though. That's not to say we can't have a bill covering them, but it should be separate.
    I don't see why we can't have an all inclusive bill, as having all non-sporting events together (a separate bill for each would be pushing it) further inflates the profile of but one area of public life that is arguably less important- and as entertaining as others e.g. music.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's important we don't stifle commercial TV channels and increase the BBC's already huge advantages.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    It's important we don't stifle commercial TV channels and increase the BBC's already huge advantages.
    Provided the commercial channels are free-to-air (as ITV, 4, 5 and countless others are) then they are welcome to show these events. It certainly doesn't have to be the BBC. (In fact, I believe currently free-to-air is restricted to BBC, ITV, 4 and 5 - a relic of the analogue era - and this bill would allow any free-to-air channel to show protected events (e.g. Pick showing Sky Sports coverage).

ReputationRep:
    Sports coverage rights are big business not only for the TV channel showing them but the event organisers too. If the events were free to watch the bidding for TV rights would be less fierce and the rights cheaper to acquire, and the winning TV channel would miss out on a potential revenue stream from charging people. The only winner is the consumer who doesn't need to pay to watch such events. But why should the consumer watch them for free? Why should businesses not be allowed to charge what they like? Who decides if a certain event is in a certain category anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Does "pay-TV" include channels like C4, C5 and ITV, or like Sky, BT and Virgin?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattvr)
    Does "pay-TV" include channels like C4, C5 and ITV, or like Sky, BT and Virgin?
    Like Sky and BT. Any channel that can be watched (legally) without paying a subscription (no, the licence doesn't count) is a free-to-air channel. That includes the "free days" offered now and then by BT and Sky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Like Sky and BT. Any channel that can be watched (legally) without paying a subscription (no, the licence doesn't count) is a free-to-air channel. That includes the "free days" offered now and then by BT and Sky.
    Ok, thank you.

In that case, I'll be voting: Aye.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I think this is ridiculous, with the EU's open borders policy this is redundant as anyone can now pay to receive satellite from any EU member state at a fraction of the cost that it would cost them to receive Sky. For example I can get CanalSat and beIN Sports which shows more choice of sport than Sky and Freeview in the UK although that would be at a similar price, the further East you go the cheaper it gets.

I'd also point out that Al Jazeera's beIN Sports Arabia is the most comprehensive sports package anyone can receive in the world today at an affordable price of £100 for the year... £100 for a ****ing year, seriously! And as long as you get it for residential use only, it's perfect legal just need a bigger dish :lol:

Seriously just scrap this bill and allow a free for all on subscriber services from outside the UK as well as inside the UK, opens up for pan-European channels with larger sports packages, better content overall and hopefully cheaper
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      Personally I think this is ridiculous, with the EU's open borders policy this is redundant as anyone can now pay to receive satellite from any EU member state at a fraction of the cost that it would cost them to receive Sky. For example I can get CanalSat and beIN Sports which shows more choice of sport than Sky and Freeview in the UK although that would be at a similar price, the further East you go the cheaper it gets.

I'd also point out that Al Jazeera's beIN Sports Arabia is the most comprehensive sports package anyone can receive in the world today at an affordable price of £100 for the year... £100 for a ****ing year, seriously! And as long as you get it for residential use only, it's perfect legal just need a bigger dish :lol:

Seriously just scrap this bill and allow a free for all on subscriber services from outside the UK as well as inside the UK, opens up for pan-European channels with larger sports packages, better content overall and hopefully cheaper
      That's not the same as watching for free though, is it?

(Original post by O133)
        That's not the same as watching for free though, is it?
        You can get free satellite channels but you still need to pay for the upfront costs, like I said beIN Sports Arabia is easily attainable for all with £100 upfront costs, cheaper than Sky and better than other free broadcasters.
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        You can get free satellite channels but you still need to pay for the upfront costs, like I said beIN Sports Arabia is easily attainable for all with £100 upfront costs, cheaper than Sky and better than other free broadcasters.
        I'll have a look into beIN Sports, but the argument still stands. These are major national and international events, which should be easily available to watch on the standard British free-to-air channels, as a number of them are already protected to be.

(Original post by O133)
          I'll have a look into beIN Sports, but the argument still stands. These are major national and international events, which should be easily available to watch on the standard British free-to-air channels, as a number of them are already protected to be.
          Just because they're major doesn't mean they should be free, for the precise reason they are major they should in-fact be on paid channels. Sports = Profit, BBC showing sport for free = Losses for all but the consumer and frankly, News Corp's stock needs to get to a decent level.
          • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
          Just because they're major doesn't mean they should be free, for the precise reason they are major they should in-fact be on paid channels. Sports = Profit, BBC showing sport for free = Losses for all but the consumer and frankly, News Corp's stock needs to get to a decent level.
          A lot of these are already protected so it's not a new idea and clearly RL governments see the value in it. To unprotect events to further line the Murdochs' pockets is not something I will allow to happen under this government.

(Original post by O133)
            A lot of these are already protected so it's not a new idea and clearly RL governments see the value in it. To unprotect events to further line the Murdochs' pockets is not something I will allow to happen under this government.
            Why aren't you thinking about my pockets? I'd quite like to see some return on my investment in both BT and Sky and that wouldn't happen under plans you want
            • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
            Why aren't you thinking about my pockets? I'd quite like to see some return on my investment in both BT and Sky and that wouldn't happen under plans you want
            I'm sure you have enough time to cancel the contracts (assuming you don't want to see Premier League/La Liga/Bundesliga/Ligue 1/Serie A/Champions League/Europa League football, Premiership/Top 14/European rugby, cricket, rugby league etc.) before the current broadcast contracts come to an end and this kicks in.

(Original post by O133)
              I'm sure you have enough time to cancel the contracts (assuming you don't want to see Premier League/La Liga/Bundesliga/Ligue 1/Serie A/Champions League/Europa League football, Premiership/Top 14/European rugby, cricket, rugby league etc.) before the current broadcast contracts come to an end and this kicks in.
              It isn't about contracts, it's about owning shares in companies that make money from sports that you're now forcing them to offer for free... I, along with many others, have multiple holdings in such companies and we'd all be affected, why do you only think of one small group and not the larger owning classes?
              • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
              It isn't about contracts, it's about owning shares in companies that make money from sports that you're now forcing them to offer for free... I, along with many others, have multiple holdings in such companies and we'd all be affected, why do you only think of one small group and not the larger owning classes?
              That one small group being the entire British population?

PS: I'm looking at beIN Sports now, are you sure it's legal in the UK?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2014
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.