Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamer08)
    Are you worried about the B in maths? I know this would be an issue at Birmingham but no where else ! good luck !
    Thanks a lot Yeah it was the Maths i was a bit afraid of. Just need to put in a bit more effort this year i guess

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm in A2 year, applied for biomedical sciences as sheffield, warwick, queen's belfast, essex and bradford. So far i've gotten offers from sheffield and warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abubkr_Ahmed97)
    Hey guys, I'm in A2 year, applied for biomedical sciences as sheffield, warwick, queen's belfast, essex and bradford. So far i've gotten offers from sheffield and warwick
    Ooh what's your first choice going to be ? And what are the conditional offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamer08)
    Ooh what's your first choice going to be ? And what are the conditional offers?
    ABB for Warwick and AAB for Sheffield. It depends, if i feel like i can get 2 A's i'll put Sheffield as my firm, if not then Warwick. I hope i'll get an unconditional from essex or bradford, then that'll be my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st1997)
    Hi,

I've been looking into either Biochemistry or Biomedical Science for university but it's definitely confusing because I previously was thinking of doing Medicine but came to the harsh realisation that my GCSEs were just too low and was scared to get five rejections.

If there is any current students who study Biochemistry or Biomedical Science at the moment, please let me know how it's going for you and what your course is like and what uni you're at.

Any current A-level students thinking of doing this too please comment and share thoughts!

Any ideas of future career path?

Hope we can help each other!
    I would choose Biochemistry if the university you are applying to allows you to transfer to study Medicine after undergraduate.

On the other hand I think studying Biomedical Sciences would be more related to Medicine, since Medicine and Biochemistry are completely unrelated really.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I have about a week to write an "alternative personal statement" for an interview with Manchester uni. I am primarily applying for medicine so they have asked me to write another statement. I was wondering whether I would be best converting my old statement or starting fresh and the main things that they would like to see in a statement. I may be taking this too seriously since it seems like it is just something to talk about at interview but I don't want to convert my old one only to be turned down as it seems like I wasn't willing to put the effort in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greed378)
    Hi there, I have about a week to write an "alternative personal statement" for an interview with Manchester uni. I am primarily applying for medicine so they have asked me to write another statement. I was wondering whether I would be best converting my old statement or starting fresh and the main things that they would like to see in a statement. I may be taking this too seriously since it seems like it is just something to talk about at interview but I don't want to convert my old one only to be turned down as it seems like I wasn't willing to put the effort in.
    I had the same thing with Bath. I actually rewrote all of it, but my tutor advised me to keep one of the paragraphs the same (the one about hobbies/volunteering/sports) because they had only asked me to rewrite it to say why I wanted to study biomed. So I would cut out anything to do with medicine and then add in things relevant to biomed specifically and rewrite! (they gave me an offer so it should work!!)

ReputationRep:
    I have loads of work experience in dental surgeries, does anyone know a way I can link this to studying Biomed? Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abubkr_Ahmed97)

Hey,

what were you're grades like for AS and what did you're school predict you?

ReputationRep:
    Applied UCL biomedical science course as my 5th choice i havent heard from them yet though..

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Newcastle today for Biomedical sciences today!

This is my insurance choice as my other 4 options are for dentistry.

Who else is looking at biomed at Newcastle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Iv'e also applied to biomed at Newcastle.
    How soon after you sent your UCAS did you receive an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy2010#)
    Iv'e also applied to biomed at Newcastle.
    How soon after you sent your UCAS did you receive an offer?
    Sent application on 11th October. Revieved offer yesterday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fish eyes)
    Hey,

what were you're grades like for AS and what did you're school predict you?
    I got BBC (B in biology, C's in chem and psychology) however all of these were very close to grade boundaries. So it was close to ABB. My predicted grades were therefore AAB just in case i could raise chemistry from a C to an A (ti shouldn't be too hard, i was getting A's in all the tests, i guess i just didn't revise enough for the real thing lol).

Anyway since then I've gotten an ABB from Queen's Belfast and an interview from Essex, nothing yet from Bradford though :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arbucks)
    Sent application on 11th October. Revieved offer yesterday

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh okay so the offers do take some time then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st1997)
    congrats on your results!
    if I apply for biochem (highly likely) I think i'll apply to: Nottingham, Kings, Liverpool, Reading, [Birmingham or Bristol].

my school also qualifies for the contextual offer, but still don't think I'll be able to get the AAB uh
    Don't worry! I just got an offer BBB/ABC from Reading for Biochemistry

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    Can anyone help me with how I can link my dentistry work experience to Biomed? I went to the Plymouth open day and he said something about how it can be really good but I can't remember.
    If any of you can help I would be v grateful
    x

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the masters programme in Biomed, universities have gave me conditional offers of AAB. If I miss these grades, say I got ABB, would I be accepted onto the degree anyway, instead of the masters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexxaa)
    I get your pain, I would totally want to rant, but I just don't have the energy for it. To be honest, I don't get why you'd want to go into a different field that is not science related after a biochem/biomed degree - at least I wouldn't since I am a science type of person and accountancy is so not my thing.
    I do understand the biomed/biochem dilemma. I haven't really considered Optometry, because I have very little interest in that field, but for me I looked at microbiology as well because in the future I want to be doing things that involve virology/immunology/drug research etc. I am not sure which option is better for that path, as it seems that either of those would be fine.
    I don't think your GCSE grades matter that much after a degree as long as you get at least a 2.2 on your degree. I am assuming you're going into year 12 or 13, correct? And what did you get on your GCSE's?
    I don't know if this has been explained later on but perhaps I can help you with the Biochem/BMS dilemma. I am a final year PhD student in Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacy and I did Biomed as my UG degree. Biochemistry is much more focused on the chemistry of life. It's like biology from a chemistry perspective. If you've done Chemistry A level with EdExcel at least, you can choose a Biochemistry project and it's more about rather than thinking of an enzyme like a big glove that engulfs a substrate, think of the specific conformational changes that take place with specific sigma or pi bonding. Forget what you learn in Biology and think about it as molecules. Biomed is a more well-rounded degree, I had modules in cell biology, biochemistry, proteins and membranes, cancer biology, drug design, pharmacology, spectroscopy, organic chemistry, disease mechanisms, immunology, molecular medicine and specific modules about biomedical science to become a Biomedical Scientist (BMS) a BMS is state registered and (if you want to be a BMS) a sandwich year is recommended where you complete a year out in a pathology lab completing your portfolio of competence in a particular area (haematology, histology, microbiology or as I did mine: Clinical Biochemistry). It's a very good course (also your degree needs to be accredited by the institute of biomedical science) and well rounded that primes you for work in many areas. It's also a springboard for many people to progress onto medicine. Universities like St George's, London will progress the highest BMS graduates straight onto their fasttrack graduate entry medicine course. Let me know if you want to know anything else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagsworth)
    I don't know if this has been explained later on but perhaps I can help you with the Biochem/BMS dilemma. I am a final year PhD student in Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacy and I did Biomed as my UG degree. Biochemistry is much more focused on the chemistry of life. It's like biology from a chemistry perspective. If you've done Chemistry A level with EdExcel at least, you can choose a Biochemistry project and it's more about rather than thinking of an enzyme like a big glove that engulfs a substrate, think of the specific conformational changes that take place with specific sigma or pi bonding. Forget what you learn in Biology and think about it as molecules. Biomed is a more well-rounded degree, I had modules in cell biology, biochemistry, proteins and membranes, cancer biology, drug design, pharmacology, spectroscopy, organic chemistry, disease mechanisms, immunology, molecular medicine and specific modules about biomedical science to become a Biomedical Scientist (BMS) a BMS is state registered and (if you want to be a BMS) a sandwich year is recommended where you complete a year out in a pathology lab completing your portfolio of competence in a particular area (haematology, histology, microbiology or as I did mine: Clinical Biochemistry). It's a very good course (also your degree needs to be accredited by the institute of biomedical science) and well rounded that primes you for work in many areas. It's also a springboard for many people to progress onto medicine. Universities like St George's, London will progress the highest BMS graduates straight onto their fasttrack graduate entry medicine course. Let me know if you want to know anything else!
    I am applying for Biochem, not sure where else to apply!
    Queen's or Warwick????

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.