Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students (and everyone else), What is your opinion on "The Secret Life of Students"? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the series interested me but it also made me slightly dread uni.... genuinely hoping my flat isn't full of people like that because I couldn't see myself getting along with any of them really well (except Brenda who asked Josie if she wanted her to pray for her cos she got chlamydia LOOOOOOL!)

I think Aiden was a complete d*uche who would annoy the hell out of me - it's weird because you're supposed to think he's so cool but he's just a cringe - (that wink he gave when shaking that boy's hand said it all) but he was just a try-hard...lol

Josie annoyed me, definetely think she has low self esteem as it seem like she to validate she was attractive was by getting drunken one night stands

I did empathise with Lauren, but i feel like even though her feelings were understandable the way she allowed the new situation to just make her negative wasn't right - you're an adult and you just have to pull yourself together and make the most out of it, not ostracize yourself and have a negative outlook on new experiences.

I don't know... it was interesting but made me slightly fear uni - I don't drink but love to party, but made me fear I'd be seen as weird and indifferent tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misscherie)
    To be honest, the series interested me but it also made me slightly dread uni.... genuinely hoping my flat isn't full of people like that because I couldn't see myself getting along with any of them really well (except Brenda who asked Josie if she wanted her to pray for her cos she got chlamydia LOOOOOOL!)

I think Aiden was a complete d*uche who would annoy the hell out of me - it's weird because you're supposed to think he's so cool but he's just a cringe - (that wink he gave when shaking that boy's hand said it all) but he was just a try-hard...lol

Josie annoyed me, definetely think she has low self esteem as it seem like she to validate she was attractive was by getting drunken one night stands

I did empathise with Lauren, but i feel like even though her feelings were understandable the way she allowed the new situation to just make her negative wasn't right - you're an adult and you just have to pull yourself together and make the most out of it, not ostracize yourself and have a negative outlook on new experiences.

I don't know... it was interesting but made me slightly fear uni - I don't drink but love to party, but made me fear I'd be seen as weird and indifferent tbh
    Brenda was cute, I literally cracked up when she said that to Josie! And same, I mean the whole trying to fit in with your flatmates and stuff is getting me a little worried, especially if you get put with people who aren't willing to try new things. Hopefully it will go well for us all. Which uni you going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    Brenda was cute, I literally cracked up when she said that to Josie! And same, I mean the whole trying to fit in with your flatmates and stuff is getting me a little worried, especially if you get put with people who aren't willing to try new things. Hopefully it will go well for us all. Which uni you going to?
    im planning to go to sheffield you?
    I know, i'm thinking the same...especially with drinking games - i'm trying to just keep in mind as long as i'm friendly and stay true to myself i'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    don't let it worry you its not really like that

ReputationRep:
    I know, i'm thinking the same...especially with drinking games - i'm trying to just keep in mind as long as i'm friendly and stay true to myself i'll be fine
    Oohhh that's great what u studying? and I'm gonna go to Liverpool . And yes, plus the pub crawl and all that other sort of stuff will be a bit daunting. but it will be fun to try out :P
    (Original post by 93jm)
    don't let it worry you its not really like that
    Haha, thanks I am sure that they only picked certain people for the documentary in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Im studying journalism studies
    i genuinely dont mind the partying - i love good music and good vibes (plus watching drunk people make tits out of themselves is hilarious entertainment) i just hope it's not everyone getting drunk and then thinking im a weirdo who doesnt want to join in
    i'd like to try it out tho, see what the fuss is about (not necessarily looking forward to drunk lads trying to chat me up tho haha)

ReputationRep:
    Im studying journalism studies
    i genuinely dont mind the partying - i love good music and good vibes (plus watching drunk people make tits out of themselves is hilarious entertainment) i just hope it's not everyone getting drunk and then thinking im a weirdo who doesnt want to join in
    i'd like to try it out tho, see what the fuss is about (not necessarily looking forward to drunk lads trying to chat me up tho haha)
    oooh sounds like a cool course and yeah it is, I just get scared of some really pissed people though as I used to live in an area where there were loads of drunks and things used to get aggressive. Hopefully people wont be like that at uni, and if a drunk boy asks for your number, give your dads or your brothers, works all the time

ReputationRep:
    I loved watching the show, it made me even more excited for uni, I have no idea why after all the stuff I saw. I guess it's the fact that I have no idea who i'm going to meet or be friends, so it's the curious side of me that can't wait for uni. Agree with everyone about Aiden and his "got chlamydia, bants" I was face palming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyan Fox)
    I loved watching the show, it made me even more excited for uni, I have no idea why after all the stuff I saw. I guess it's the fact that I have no idea who i'm going to meet or be friends, so it's the curious side of me that can't wait for uni. Agree with everyone about Aiden and his "got chlamydia, bants" I was face palming
    Haha, for some reason I found Laurens tweet about going back to bed after breakfast hilarious. Which uni you planning on going to if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    Haha, for some reason I found Laurens tweet about going back to bed after breakfast hilarious. Which uni you planning on going to if you don't mind me asking?
    I think she is the only person ever to quote eeyore.. I did feel bad for her when they were doing the Nazi stuff, she didn't seem so shy then! I'm planning to go to De Montfort in Leicester. What about you?

Edit: I just realised you've already posted earlier in the thread with the answer, whoops! haha

ReputationRep:
    I found the programme really helpful as it gave a student's view of Freshers' Weeks, however, let's just say I'm glad I'm not going to Leicester Uni

ReputationRep:
    It was pretty good a bit cheesy though. Aiden was annoying, he just portrayed every 'lad' stereotype going which is the ultimate turn off. He also had a bit of an ego.

Is the next episode of a different group of students or the same ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    I hate how Aiden clearly didn't come to university to actually get a degree, only to act like a complete prick who finds getting drunk every night and 'neknominations' hilarious - I mean seriously, chlamydia banter?!

Josie's a hypocrite, claiming to be a Catholic whilst complains about not being able to pull. She needs to get her priorities right.

Lauren is too pessimistic. At first, I felt sorry for her (and even saw an aspect of herself in me). But as the programme went on, she just got really annoying, relying on Daniel (or is his name David?) as a human journal. She needed to do things for herself and I'm glad she eventually found herself.
    aiden is actually grand...hes upfront... who cares..he probably still passed first year

josie is okay..but overall she deals with her "Issues"
    being catholic doesnt mean you cant pull or have ONS either...

Lauren was a joke at the start..but Im glad also she found her way

best of luck to all of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corax)
    It was pretty good a bit cheesy though. Aiden was annoying, he just portrayed every 'lad' stereotype going which is the ultimate turn off. He also had a bit of an ego.

It's a different group of students, the show said they were following 11 students but I think some of them cross over so we might still see Aiden, Lauren and Josie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corax)

Different students...overall they're looking at 12 of them

ReputationRep:
    Funny show, although I absolutely cannot stand people like Aiden who are just arrogant and **** around all the time. Seriously, what the hell was funny about getting chlamydia? If I ever got it, god forbid, spreading it on twitter is the last thing I'd do!

Seriously, I do not get along with people like him. Josie I could probably manage to get on with quite well, she seemed nice if a little hypocritical. Lauren, though- nope. She was just a mess and really needed to relax. The whole Eeyore quote thing was blatant attention seeking which really pisses me off.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's episode. I wonder if it focuses on the actual working side of uni at all?

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine at Sheffield sweetheart, the union and various societies put on SO MUCH during freshers. Seriously, we have every society from Quidditch to Chess, more orchestras you can shake a stick at, whatever religion you are, there's a soc for that. And if there's a society you want that we don't have (not convinced we have a tiddlywinks society), the SU will help you set it up. During freshers you can do literally anything from Snowboarding at Xscape to bunting making, treasure hunts, tours of the city... more films are shown by the film unit than you can imagine. You can have a fab time and not need to touch a drop of alcohol. Also POP TARTS on the saturday, you will probably need to buy tickets online for that, but it's the best night out at the SU, and pretty awesome when sober. I personally don't think it's right to be drunk whilst singing along to the spice girls...
    The problem during freshers isn't having enough to do, it's working out how on earth you'll manage to cram in registration!

ReputationRep:
    As this is a TV show obviously they are looking for slight extremes of stereotypes of people that you meet at uni. I thought it was fair enough as an entertainment show but having been through uni, it wasn't like that when I was at Leeds.

There were people like that but the vast majority of people were 'normal people', the type that will all have watched that programme and thought oh no uni is going to be a nightmare.

The problem for guys like Aiden is they are try hards trying to get attention and become 'campus celebrities' or at least 'hall celebrities'. In freshers week and the early days when everyones attention is open they get their brief time in the limelight but once people start to form their own friends, those that don't really like them (which is 99% of people at uni) just ignore them and go off with their own people. So they are forced in to either just dropping the act and becoming normal like everyone else, which is a bit humiliating and shows them up as a fake, or try and go more and more outrageous to keep getting attention which just makes them more and more unpopular. The other danger for lads like that is they are ok in a group of harmless middle class students but when they get carried away and start acting obnoxiously in town some local hardcase will just smack them.

Lauren is going to be a divisive character on this show because a lot of students will feel the same way but also will probably think she would be a bit too irritating to befriend. There are lots of students that are just quiet and don't really like drinking and stupidity, but other than that don't want to avoid meeting people they just want to meet other people that aren't going to be doing stupid drinking games. One thing thats good when there's halls that have a bar or common room in the halls with a TV is, if everyone goes out in town and you don't want to join in, you can just go down there and probably there will be some other more quiet people mooching about.

Josie, she seems a bit insecure and a nice person under it all but she has a trait that you will see in uni which is another form of attention seeking. The girl whose life is about boys. The whole being upset at the start was about her not having pulled yet, and lets be honest, she didn't really believe that she's the ugliest person in Leicester, she knows she's quite attractive and was probably annoyed that other girls were getting with guys when she wasn't. Then when she got with Aiden there was the whole OMG cringe I'm so ashamed thing. When you're genuinely ashamed of something you don't tell anyone, you just let it go away quietly. Going round making a big thing of it is what you do when you want to be centre of gossip. That's a big tip I'd have for not being annoying at uni: keep your private life private and don't intrude in to other peoples.

ReputationRep:
    it could be the most realistic, driest fly on the wall mockumentary since the office

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HobbiTom)
    I found the programme really helpful as it gave a student's view of Freshers' Weeks, however, let's just say I'm glad I'm not going to Leicester Uni
    You will encounter the same things seen in this show at almost every uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.