Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

weight loss help needed!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccagood95)
    Another thing- it's best that you try not to lose weight too quickly. If you take it slowly, it will stay off for longer. You need to have a diet that you can keep going with or only slightly adjust once you've reached your target weight. Just eating good, healthy, unprocessed foods and then allowing yourself a treat or two at the weekend and doing a sport a few times a week is something that you can keep up with for the rest of your life, hopefully.
    Good advice right here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killafrog18)
    Im 16, 5'7 and weigh around 13 st.. I'm sick of the flab and fat and want to lose weight the right way but with all the different diets and types of exercise I have no idea which way actually works! I'd like some honest advice from people who've lost weight and can tell me what I need to do to feel and look good! I've lost weight before (went from 14st to 12st and now I've put weight on after..) but the methods I used before aren't working or I'm not doing it right.. what do I need to do???
    Thanks in advance
    I forgot one more thing and I know you've been kind of overloaded with information...

Take a photo of everything you eat. That way you can track your diet to remember what you have actually been eating and how much. I also use it to see if I deserve that sweet thing compared to what I have eaten the rest of the week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killafrog18)
    that's incredible! well done! May I ask how long it took you and work sort of exercise you did??
    thank you very much losing that much weight took me 6 months in total. i did 30minutes on the elliptical at a moderate pace and weight training once/twice a week. i used 8lb hand weights though i'd reccomend 3lb to 5lb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liomeeringca)

(in all seriousness, that is really really cool. i'm stealing this routine from you )
    looking back at my post i probably did write too much its a habit i need to crack. best of luck with the weight loss i hope you do well! also drink 1 litre of water a day and good snacks are sutff like sunflower seeds and oranges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunesfool)
    Thank you! Talking about long term, is it something that you can do long term i.e. the rest of your life or is more of a diet that you do to shed a few pounds?
    You can definitely do it for the rest of your life if you wanted to; it can be a bit inconvenient at times though. I tried it through my last term at Uni but found it hard to revise sometimes in the mornings without breakfast so I scrapped it and am now doing it through the holidays when there's no pressure to revise. The main reason I'm trying it is because it allows me to eat the carbs I need after weights workouts to maintain/grow muscle and strength. If you just want to lose fat, there's many other good methods. If you think it sounds good though, try it! See what results you have after 1 month, if they're good then keep it up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinejuice)
    looking back at my post i probably did write too much its a habit i need to crack. best of luck with the weight loss i hope you do well! also drink 1 litre of water a day and good snacks are sutff like sunflower seeds and oranges.
    Oranges are good as snacks but just be aware they do contain sugar, specifically a high amount of fructose, which will see more fat gained than glucose. Plums and Apricots are better alternatives. I'd say 1-2 portions of whole fruit a day max; or snack on some almonds/Brazil nuts (healthy fats, protein and filling!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    You can definitely do it for the rest of your life if you wanted to; it can be a bit inconvenient at times though. I tried it through my last term at Uni but found it hard to revise sometimes in the mornings without breakfast so I scrapped it and am now doing it through the holidays when there's no pressure to revise. The main reason I'm trying it is because it allows me to eat the carbs I need after weights workouts to maintain/grow muscle and strength. If you just want to lose fat, there's many other good methods. If you think it sounds good though, try it! See what results you have after 1 month, if they're good then keep it up!
    Thank you! I want to lose some fat, can I do that with micro-fasting and little exercise or is the exercise more important?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunesfool)
    Thank you! I want to lose some fat, can I do that with micro-fasting and little exercise or is the exercise more important?
    You'll need the exercise to keep it off, though to start with it can literally be some walks in the morning on an empty stomach. Creating a calorific deficit through not eating alone is unsustainable; it'll mess up your hormones so your body won't actually burn the fat for energy, and if you do stop one day the fat will pile back on.

Keep it simple; start with walking, move onto jogging, and start lifting weights if possible to up your resting metabolic rate (more muscle = more calories burnt from sitting around since maintaining muscle uses energy. You'll shed pounds in no time.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, since March I've lost 2 stone 5 lbs and I think this has been a steady and healthy pace, I've still got a little bit to go (mainly toning my stomach and calves) though. I started off cycling for half an hour and using the rowing machine at the gym for 20 minutes, I got a bit bored so changed it around a bit. At that point the weight was dropping off as I used myfitnesspal to track my calories, where you can scan everything you eat and enter your activity for the day. It is trial and error to find the amount you are happy with and where you get the nutrients and protein you need

What I eat now: wholemeal toast in the morning or porridge, pitta and salad for lunch and dinner is whatever my family has. Snacks, fruit or pieces of veg like carrot sticks and humus. I don't eat any junk food because I don't think it's worth it and I don't even miss the taste

Exercise: gym 5x a week. Cardio is treadmill (jogging and walking on an incline), cross trainer and rowing for 10 mins. I don't do rowing everyday, I try to get 40 mins of cardio of gym done.
    I also do resistance or body training stuff like squats, pilates moves, free weights, and I use the machines in the gym some days.

I think you need to find an exercise you'll enjoy and stick with it. I think jogging will give great results, especially as your quite tall so you will get long and lean limbs if you combine this with pilates. What I can help with is motivation because I used to comfort eat. Get a goal (whether it's a number on the scale or dress size) so you will remember everyday you're one step closer to it. Don't be tempted by chocolate, cakes or deserts too much, because what is one moment of pleasure worth in the long term? Also, push yourself to the gym (if that's where you decide to go) or go for that run, bike ride or walk, because once you're doing it you will be glad you did it.

Good luck and something I've found with me since I've lost weight is I am much happier and more confident, so as well as the outer change the inner change is also satisfying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    You'll need the exercise to keep it off, though to start with it can literally be some walks in the morning on an empty stomach. Creating a calorific deficit through not eating alone is unsustainable; it'll mess up your hormones so your body won't actually burn the fat for energy, and if you do stop one day the fat will pile back on.

Keep it simple; start with walking, move onto jogging, and start lifting weights if possible to up your resting metabolic rate (more muscle = more calories burnt from sitting around since maintaining muscle uses energy. You'll shed pounds in no time.
    Thank you for the advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.