Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do people see in the World Cup? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    Repped. Totally agree with you there. What you've outlined is completely obvious and logical, yet there are millions of people who choose to spend a lot of money on tickets, dedicate a lot of time to travelling to and from games, stand up for two hours in a noisy stadium shouting at the top of their voice while having absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with the team they care so much about, a match the result of which will have absolutely no impact on their lives at all. I've never understood it.

It's ridiculous that footballers get paid huge amounts of money to kick a ball around. It's an understatement just to say that it makes no sense. They are not benefiting humanity or society at all. To me, it has never made sense and it never will make any sense. I've had this discussion before on another thread, and plenty of delusional football fans came forward and justified their love for football and explained how footballers deserve to get paid such huge salaries, it was beyond ridiculous, to think that people out there invest so much time and emotion into football and claim that it is, in fact, benefiting society and that footballers do, in fact, deserve to get paid huge salaries. To repeat, it is beyond ridiculous. It's a never ending argument. In an ideal world, footballers would be paid absolutely nothing, they are not doing anything to benefit anyone.

Having said all of that (and this might come across as contradictory), there was a time when I used to enjoy watching football. Ten to 15 years ago roughly (when I first started to watch football), football was truly great. The game was full of great players, legends like Ronaldo and Zidane who have been retired for a long time now. It was fun to watch. Now football is completely rubbish and really boring, the players suck so much, there's no fun in watching it or following it at all any more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Most people in stadiums have an affiliation to the team or enjoy watching a team.

2. It does effect daily life...well for me anyways, when Scotland get a good result I'll be on top of the world for a week, if they get bad one I'll be down for a few days.

3. People enjoy football, lots of people do. Supply and demand dictates that they get paid a fortune...from other football fans I must add. Football fans can pay football players if they want!

4. Again football benefits me...it is my favourite past time and always will be. It holds friendships, it creates new ones...it allows me to have a common interest with somone from virtually any country. Its a near enough a religion for some people. Just because your odd and don't see the appeal doesn't mean you can take that away from other people.

5. Zidane and Ronaldo were good...but I have to say... Messi , Robben and Ronaldo certainly do not 'suck'....in fact I think Messi is better than Zidane and Ronaldo combined. This is another example of your ignorance....just beacuse you don't understand whats happening doesn't mean that everything sucks. People get old amd new players fill their boots....get over it.

6. The guys that get paid the sums you complain about are extraordinary...anyone fit and healthy could become a soldier....but not everyone fit and healthy can get the natural skill and football brain needes to be a top top player. You would need to pay me to watch you play football put it that way.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I had the same reaction, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous (and hilarious) that someone would cry at the result of a football match, especially considering the fact that they have ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION WHATSOEVER with the team, the result of the match will not affect their lives in any way or form.
    They have probably waited 4 years and love the team (people rarely cry without affiliation) and just been involved in a emotionally charged game. They have probably dreamed of it tens of times and have been thinking about it and looking forward to that particular match for a week. They have had their dreams shattered....but good is that there is always next time...always next time is a phrase I love with me being a scotland fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Do you not think professional sport should exist?
    Probably thinks we should all visit cultural hot spots and buy highly arty brochures packed with information whilst listening to a voice tour for our hobby.

Either that or that we should all play bowels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1tartanarmy)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Most people in stadiums have an affiliation to the team or enjoy watching a team.

2. It does effect daily life...well for me anyways, when Scotland get a good result I'll be on top of the world for a week, if they get bad one I'll be down for a few days.

3. People enjoy football, lots of people do. Supply and demand dictates that they get paid a fortune...from other football fans I must add. Football fans can pay football players if they want!

4. Again football benefits me...it is my favourite past time and always will be. It holds friendships, it creates new ones...it allows me to have a common interest with somone from virtually any country. Its a near enough a religion for some people. Just because your odd and don't see the appeal doesn't mean you can take that away from other people.

5. Zidane and Ronaldo were good...but I have to say... Messi , Robben and Ronaldo certainly do not 'suck'....in fact I think Messi is better than Zidane and Ronaldo combined. This is another example of your ignorance....just beacuse you don't understand whats happening doesn't mean that everything sucks. People get old amd new players fill their boots....get over it.

6. The guys that get paid the sums you complain about are extraordinary...anyone fit and healthy could become a soldier....but not everyone fit and healthy can get the natural skill and football brain needes to be a top top player. You would need to pay me to watch you play football put it that way.
    1. No...they have NO affiliation. They are nothing more than mere spectators. I'm not talking about the managers/substitutes/medical personnel etc. I was referring to the tens of thousands of fans sitting in the stands.

2. It doesn't affect the daily lives of fans. It ONLY affects the lives of managers, players, club owners, shareholders etc etc.

5. Messi is okay, but he's hugely overrated. Robben is okay, sometimes he has moments of brilliance, sometimes he has matches where he plays absolutely amazingly, but he's very inconsistent. He was poor and completely ineffectual and lackluster in yesterday's game, just like Messi. Messi and robben did absoloutely nothing last night, what a boring match. Not a single person could have possibly enjoyed watching that boring match last night. Also LOL at Messi being better than Zidan and Ronaldo, clearly you know nothing about football. Zidane is a world cup winner who actually won his country the world cup. Probably the best player of all time. Really unique play style, very consistent too. Played well in 2006. And Ronaldo is the best striker of all time, by far. Won the world cup, second highest top scorer in world cup history, a legend. But Messi, lol. Never won a world cup. Overrated. From what I've seen of him in this world cup, I'm not impressed at all, he has proven that he's overrated. Just like Cristiano Ronaldo. At least Messi scored some goals and reached the final, Cristiano Ronaldo didn't even make it past the group stage! While Brazilian Ronaldo led his country to world cup glory. So clearly you know nothing about football.

do not quote me, i will not read or reply to anything you post. my advice to you is stop watching football, start following golf or something. goodbye.

ReputationRep:
    do not quote me, i will not read or reply to anything you post. my advice to you is stop watching football, start following golf or something. goodbye.
    What an idiot. In what ways does golf benefit society?

ReputationRep:
    1. No...they have NO affiliation. They are nothing more than mere spectators. I'm not talking about the managers/substitutes/medical personnel etc. I was referring to the tens of thousands of fans sitting in the stands.

2. It doesn't affect the daily lives of fans. It ONLY affects the lives of managers, players, club owners, shareholders etc etc.

5. Messi is okay, but he's hugely overrated. Robben is okay, sometimes he has moments of brilliance, sometimes he has matches where he plays absolutely amazingly, but he's very inconsistent. He was poor and completely ineffectual and lackluster in yesterday's game, just like Messi. Messi and robben did absoloutely nothing last night, what a boring match. Not a single person could have possibly enjoyed watching that boring match last night. Also LOL at Messi being better than Zidan and Ronaldo, clearly you know nothing about football. Zidane is a world cup winner who actually won his country the world cup. Probably the best player of all time. Really unique play style, very consistent too. Played well in 2006. And Ronaldo is the best striker of all time, by far. Won the world cup, second highest top scorer in world cup history, a legend. But Messi, lol. Never won a world cup. Overrated. From what I've seen of him in this world cup, I'm not impressed at all, he has proven that he's overrated. Just like Cristiano Ronaldo. At least Messi scored some goals and reached the final, Cristiano Ronaldo didn't even make it past the group stage! While Brazilian Ronaldo led his country to world cup glory. So clearly you know nothing about football.

Wow so much garbage...for someone who admitted they havn't watched in 15 years to then challenge someone who watches nearly every game he can and then claim to know more does you a massive disservice. Makes you look like a plonker.

After all your dissing of football I have successfully got you talking about whos the bestbplayers etc...just shows you...doesn't matter how much someone hates football they can't help themelsves but debate on the quality of teams etc!

I predicted you would tell us to watch bowels but you went with golf. That doesn't surprise me. They are also paid more than soldiers....is that ok now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    x
    You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    What an idiot. In what ways does golf benefit society?
    And why are top golfers allowed to be paid such good money and footballers are not? Can't believe he fell for that classic trap.

Just bitter about football.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You're an idiot.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to attract reactionary, lumpen neanderthals of all nationalities and encourage the usual vices of partisanship, division, hyperbole, group think, emotive excess rather than what it should be which is an exhibition of footballing skill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoreRiotsPlease)
    It seems to attract reactionary, lumpen neanderthals of all nationalities and encourage the usual vices of partisanship, division, hyperbole, group think, emotive excess rather than what it should be which is an exhibition of footballing skill.

ReputationRep:
    Well someone has to do the dirty jobs. Not everyone can make shoes for nike.

ReputationRep:
    Typical 'look am clever' student room comment.

ReputationRep:
    Hot guys.

ReputationRep:
    Why have anything in life then? By the OP's logic, we should only sleep, work, sleep, work till the day we die.. To an outsider, it may just be a ball being kicked and has no relevance to the real life, but the same can be said for most things! Also, the whole nurse/soldier pay arguement is utter tripe as there is an abundance of soldiers/nurses whereas there are only a few world class footballers

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaLong)
    To me it's just another game of football... Grown men chasing a tiny object moving across a pitch surrounded by crowds of screaming people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they also get paid thousands...why is it that they get paid millions for doing something they enjoy, when zillions of people are starving and getting paid 6p a day for working nike?
    Sorry for all those football lovers out there, but that's how I see it
    It's not like they keep all the money to themselves. Many of the footballers give money to charity and help those in need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaLong)
    To me it's just another game of football... Grown men chasing a tiny object moving across a pitch surrounded by crowds of screaming people. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they also get paid thousands...why is it that they get paid millions for doing something they enjoy, when zillions of people are starving and getting paid 6p a day for working nike?
    Sorry for all those football lovers out there, but that's how I see it
    Perhaps it's not entirely fair, but you have to consider the fact that it's much harder to become a top footballer (because let's face it, the majority of footballer do not earn millions) than to get a job at a Nike factory. It's all to do with the basic principle of supply and demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Of course they do. The England squad always used to donate theirs to charity, no idea if that practice still happens.
    Nope the fa now takes the money as uses it to pay the people who work there and all other thugs they control in English football like the building and now upkeep of wembley. Investing in grassroots improvements (something they don't do anywhere near enough)

ReputationRep:
    **** me, what an awful thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.