Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)
    Do you use me a lot in your degree?
    +1

ReputationRep:
    ever consider doing a maths degree instead before you applied?

ReputationRep:
    Can you kindly tell me what grades you got in your A levels and at GCSEs?
    Also, did you do any kind of work experience?
    And did you do any retakes in your A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gavin.)
    I'm a first year going into second year. I've finished all my exams, and I've got a pretty good idea of what first year is about so feel free to ask any and many questions!

Gavin
    Do you have access to past papers and their solutions?

How much tutoring do you get per week?

How does grading work at university? (I didn't even know how grading worked at AS/A2 until starting my AS)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs were 4A 2B 4C

a in C1 maths

i want to apply to imperial for mech eng but I fell my GCSEs will put me down. My a levels are maths,physics,chemistry,electron ics and economics. I plan in dropping economics at AS and taking further maths at A2, perhaps do all in a year.

Considering I get 4 A at AS, is it worth me applying to imperial?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karoel)
    How different is the physics course compared to the A-level? (if you've done that)

I'm not 100% loving my physics A-level at the moment, even though it's interesting at parts I just can't really get into what I'm learning. I'm guessing you've got one, but how did you find your interest in the subject?

Thanks
    Its a lot more mathematical. As you could probably imagine you study a wider range of topics in physics and a lot of the courses you study are actually short mini modules in first year in the sense that there are a few topics which you will cover in a month alongside "big" topics such as maths, mechanics etc.

Overall, its down to how hard you work to get a good grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavss)
    My GCSEs were 4A 2B 4C

a in C1 maths

i want to apply to imperial for mech eng but I fell my GCSEs will put me down. My a levels are maths,physics,chemistry,electron ics and economics. I plan in dropping economics at AS and taking further maths at A2, perhaps do all in a year.

I too did not get that good of grades in GCSE, 4A 6B 1C 1D.

If I get 4As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Accounting, is it even worth me applying for computer science as my gcse grades aren't that great?

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I got in to Imperial (woo!) to study MSci Physics with Year in Europe. However, I have not studied Further Maths at A Level and I am slightly worried that I will be at a disadvantage. Did you do Further Maths? Did it help with your physics degree? Would you recommend that I do some extra swatting before starting my degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben60)
    Can you kindly tell me what grades you got in your A levels and at GCSEs?
    Also, did you do any kind of work experience?
    And did you do any retakes in your A levels?
    1. See previous posts but if you insist, PM me
    2. Work experience... Hmm. No, not really. But attending physics lectures/talks or physics-based events will help yourself know if physics is for you as well as prove to your interviewer that you have made sure you're picking the correct subject
    3. I did no A2 retakes. I did an AS mechanics module in Yr11 which I retook in Yr12 after getting one mark off an A. I don't think retakes at AS matter too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayonara)
    Do you have access to past papers and their solutions?

How much tutoring do you get per week?

How does grading work at university? (I didn't even know how grading worked at AS/A2 until starting my AS)

Thanks!
    1. Yes I do but I don't think I can't distribute them to others if that's what you're asking (I can ask if you want). However, if you're just asking so you know what to expect in 1st year, you get access to past papers going back a very long way but you only get solutions to around 3 years of past papers (currently it's something like 2012, 2009 and 2006).
    2. Tutoring? I get 4 sessions of tutoring, each 1 hour long each focused on different areas. In 1st year, 1 is something called Professional Skills which is about largely to do with communicating physics as well as problem solving. The other three are dependent upon the courses you are studying at the time but generally 2 maths (e.g. linear algebra and complex analysis) and 1 physics (e.g. mechanics or vibrations and waves).
    3. Grading? It goes 1st (First-Class Honours), 2.1 (Upper Class Second Honours), 2.2 (Lower....), 3 (Third Class) with boundaries at 70% (first), 60% (2.1), 50% (2.2), 40% (Pass)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavss)
    My GCSEs were 4A 2B 4C

a in C1 maths

Hmm if you think 4 As is achievable and you're able to do something extra on top of this to show your interest in mech eng (i.e. work experience or some sort of engineering project day, etc....), then I think it's worth it. You never know. But it is really really competitive and the people are definitely not slackers! So just beware!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oneabdi)
    I too did not get that good of grades in GCSE, 4A 6B 1C 1D.

If I get 4As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Accounting, is it even worth me applying for computer science as my gcse grades aren't that great?
    I don't know much about the computer science course and the offers they make. For physics, many of the offers were 4 grades (I think) and so you'll need to check they count Accounting as one of them.

Tbh, I don't know.

Sorry.

Good luck though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleen1)
    Hey

I got in to Imperial (woo!) to study MSci Physics with Year in Europe. However, I have not studied Further Maths at A Level and I am slightly worried that I will be at a disadvantage. Did you do Further Maths? Did it help with your physics degree? Would you recommend that I do some extra swatting before starting my degree?
    If you didn't do Further Maths at A-level expect that you'll have to work harder than some of the UK students that have done further maths. But you are at no 'disadvantage' as such. A large percentage (if not the majority) of students aren't actually from the UK and in their education system are unlikely to have done Further maths also. So they will also be learning this stuff for the first time. The lecture courses assume no further maths knowledge and they teach you everything you need to know. For those that have done further maths before though, they may find some of the content simply revision rather than learning it new for the first time. The point of first year is to bring everyone up to the same level so that everyone is on equal footing for second year.

Hope to see you in the corridors of Blackett next year!!! You might even be my kid next year (I'm not a creep - Look up the Mums and Dads scheme at Imperial :P)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm if you think 4 As is achievable and you're able to do something extra on top of this to show your interest in mech eng (i.e. work experience or some sort of engineering project day, etc....), then I think it's worth it. You never know. But it is really really competitive and the people are definitely not slackers! So just beware!

Good luck
    Alright,thanks!

I'm going to try to get 4 As but would I need further maths in order to gave a competitive chance?
    Also, I plan to build a mini jet engine as part of my EPQ ( not sure what to choose as I have lots of schematics and blueprints of different types of devices -electronic,mechanical etc.) do that should be fun!

I'm really nervous as to how competitive it is because I contacted a member of the admission staff and they said they don't really consider GCSEs. I know that they may be a reliable source of information but is there an unwritten rule that they only take people with a string of A*s?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavss)
    Alright,thanks!

I'm going to try to get 4 As but would I need further maths in order to gave a competitive chance?
    Also, I plan to build a mini jet engine as part of my EPQ ( not sure what to choose as I have lots of schematics and blueprints of different types of devices -electronic,mechanical etc.) do that should be fun!

I'm really nervous as to how competitive it is because I contacted a member of the admission staff and they said they don't really consider GCSEs. I know that they may be a reliable source of information but is there an unwritten rule that they only take people with a string of A*s?

Thanks in advance
    There's no such unwritten rule as I know mechengers that don't have all A*s haha . Your EPQ project sounds fun :P I'm sure if you go into the interview ready to talk about it, you'll be fine If you get some good maths and physics in there too I'm sure that will help Although I'm unsure if Further Maths will help give you a competitive edge in the admissions process (is it listed in the entry requirements?), in physics I think you generally see that a lot of the UK students have done further maths with only a few maths-only applicants so maybe further maths does help.... I dunno. I actually don't know tbh.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Hey I was thinking of applying for Physics with Theoretical Physics and they ask for an A* in maths. I got an A in A2 maths this year (a year early because I'm doing FM) so could I still get an offer if I say I'm resitting a module or even two?

ReputationRep:
    What interests you about studying physics as a subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There's no such unwritten rule as I know mechengers that don't have all A*s haha . Your EPQ project sounds fun :P I'm sure if you go into the interview ready to talk about it, you'll be fine If you get some good maths and physics in there too I'm sure that will help Although I'm unsure if Further Maths will help give you a competitive edge in the admissions process (is it listed in the entry requirements?), in physics I think you generally see that a lot of the UK students have done further maths with only a few maths-only applicants so maybe further maths does help.... I dunno. I actually don't know tbh.
    Yeah,there is a lot of maths in it, though most of it is stuff like differential equations,mechanics (etc) which I try to get familiar with on the spot and apply them. But most of the physics is just mechanics (duh ) so i think I'll enjoy that a lot!

Okay, can I just do further maths to AS then? Plus, from your experiences from A level, the requirement to take further maths in year 13, do I just have to generally get an A in AS maths?
    Btw, there isn't a requirement for further maths:

"We require A*AAA or A*A*A in Mathematics, Physics and further relevant A-levels, one of which must be from Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Design and Technology, Biology, Electronics, Computing or Economics."

And all of my subjects are all in that description.

Thanks

ReputationRep:

Hey Gavin, I'm hoping to apply for mech engineering where the requirements are A*A*A, what do you think my chances are? I'm retaking C3 to get an A* and also the physics coursework, what should I do about my M1 also?
    I'm taking the whole A level further maths next year (which gives me an edge). I have read a lot of books relating to engines, engineering etc... and I'm getting some work experience also in engineering in september.I'm also planning on taking the physics A2 olympiad. My teachers in my school really like me and will predict me A*A*A or A*A*A*(I'm dropping economics) and will give me a good referee letter, realistically speaking, what do you think are my chances of getting an offer? Thanks for helping the community, and what else could I do to boost my chances?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    Hey I was thinking of applying for Physics with Theoretical Physics and they ask for an A* in maths. I got an A in A2 maths this year (a year early because I'm doing FM) so could I still get an offer if I say I'm resitting a module or even two?
    Hmmm.... I would email the admissions office and ask. I would think so but double check. It helps that you're doing FM also - they might ask for an A* in that instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.