The Student Room Group

What stationary do I need and how to be organised in sixth form?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by letsbehonest
Yeah, seems like a good idea! :smile:

Some teachers might expect you to have notes from previous lessons on you to refer to so maybe instead of transferring work straight away, wait a few weeks :smile:

Ahaha I have no idea what to expect ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
What I did in sixth form was have the four files for each subject, which I kept at home, and then a smaller one with dividers that I took in with me. To appease the teachers (!) I made sure to have the last few lessons still in the small file so that if they randomly wanted us to look at our notes from the last lesson, I had them there. That's it really, refill paper obviously, and if you can, get narrow ruled paper, you don't need to buy as much. Highlighters and coloured pens might help with revision, depending on how you learn, and some of those flash card things might be nice for history. I'm not sure about the other subjects, but I did History too, and the dates are quite difficult to keep track of them.
Original post by Alys-Cait
What I did in sixth form was have the four files for each subject, which I kept at home, and then a smaller one with dividers that I took in with me. To appease the teachers (!) I made sure to have the last few lessons still in the small file so that if they randomly wanted us to look at our notes from the last lesson, I had them there. That's it really, refill paper obviously, and if you can, get narrow ruled paper, you don't need to buy as much. Highlighters and coloured pens might help with revision, depending on how you learn, and some of those flash card things might be nice for history. I'm not sure about the other subjects, but I did History too, and the dates are quite difficult to keep track of them.

Thank you so much! That seemed to have helped me a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaitlinN15
Yeah I'm thinking of buying the big paper pads so in class I make notes in them, then transfer it to my folders. The only thing concerning me is constantly carrying folders around as I cant have heavy bags you see. And other people have said it will be easier to have the plastic popper wallet things to carry notes to and from college then ttransfer it to their folder as it'll be lighter etc if you get me? I'll probs just end up using folders but it'll be effort carrying it but I think there's lockers but I can't remember ahaj

Posted from TSR Mobile

True I'm not looking forward to carrying heavy folders all year, but really it's whatever works best for you. I just personally prefer folders because they keep me organised :smile:
After struggling to carry folders with me last year in A-Levels, next year I'll carry only an A4 notebook for each subject (I only have 2 per day).
You will be given a lot of reading and materials though, which I can't stress enough that you should store logically in your folders for reference when you get home.
Really, just don't panic overall. As long as you have paper, you will be able to do the lessons :smile:
After experimenting with this a lot I think I have come up with a way which works well.

1. It doesn't matter whether you prefer plastic folders, wallets or binders with this method, its whatever you prefer storage wise to keep you organised as long as you keep all your notes and handouts in a logical order (I cannot stress this enough - when you get homework and need to revise this saves so much time)

2. Type your notes! If you do this, then you'll be carrying around less paper. In my case, I prefer to hand write my notes initially and I do this in a notebook which has 3 or 4 dividers depending on how many subjects I have. (Carrying around just one book saves the heavy hauling and you can adjust the dividers depending on how much you write per topic). During my breaks or at home I then type it all up and at the end of the topic I print it out.

3. Label everything. I like to put sticky tabs on the first page of each topic in my binder (you can still do this in a folder or have a new folder per topic) This means that when you need to look something up or revise you can go directly to the specific topic.

4. Store your handouts - every single one will benefit you. (I keep mine with my labelled notes)

5. Colour code. Have a different colour per subject, visually this helps me so much.

6. Use a planner to write all of your homework and assignments down. Once you've written it you don't have to worry about forgetting it.

7. Make flash cards! You don't have to wait till a coupe months before the exams to start revising. I started in September straight away and made flashcards as I went a long the year, this means that you have all revising materials ready for May/June. It sounds silly but it works. If you have 4 subjects which you need to make keyword cards and summarise important info its worth doing it straight away.

8. Peeling slightly off topic - its also worth doing extra essays/past papers (found on the exam board website) as you learn the topic or just after each one. As boring and mundane as it seems you will be in theory revising your notes and applying it to the context you will potentially need it in exams. In addition, if you use your notes, handouts and mark schemes, you could create 'perfect exam answers' to the bigger questions for your exams so that when you do revise you have good answers to look from.

The more organised you are the easier the year will be! Any questions let me know!

Good Luck!
Original post by rattlesnake112
After struggling to carry folders with me last year in A-Levels, next year I'll carry only an A4 notebook for each subject (I only have 2 per day).
You will be given a lot of reading and materials though, which I can't stress enough that you should store logically in your folders for reference when you get home.
Really, just don't panic overall. As long as you have paper, you will be able to do the lessons :smile:

Okay thank you- that helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by caitlinfoster
After experimenting with this a lot I think I have come up with a way which works well.

1. It doesn't matter whether you prefer plastic folders, wallets or binders with this method, its whatever you prefer storage wise to keep you organised as long as you keep all your notes and handouts in a logical order (I cannot stress this enough - when you get homework and need to revise this saves so much time)

2. Type your notes! If you do this, then you'll be carrying around less paper. In my case, I prefer to hand write my notes initially and I do this in a notebook which has 3 or 4 dividers depending on how many subjects I have. (Carrying around just one book saves the heavy hauling and you can adjust the dividers depending on how much you write per topic). During my breaks or at home I then type it all up and at the end of the topic I print it out.

3. Label everything. I like to put sticky tabs on the first page of each topic in my binder (you can still do this in a folder or have a new folder per topic) This means that when you need to look something up or revise you can go directly to the specific topic.

4. Store your handouts - every single one will benefit you. (I keep mine with my labelled notes)

5. Colour code. Have a different colour per subject, visually this helps me so much.

6. Use a planner to write all of your homework and assignments down. Once you've written it you don't have to worry about forgetting it.

7. Make flash cards! You don't have to wait till a coupe months before the exams to start revising. I started in September straight away and made flashcards as I went a long the year, this means that you have all revising materials ready for May/June. It sounds silly but it works. If you have 4 subjects which you need to make keyword cards and summarise important info its worth doing it straight away.

8. Peeling slightly off topic - its also worth doing extra essays/past papers (found on the exam board website) as you learn the topic or just after each one. As boring and mundane as it seems you will be in theory revising your notes and applying it to the context you will potentially need it in exams. In addition, if you use your notes, handouts and mark schemes, you could create 'perfect exam answers' to the bigger questions for your exams so that when you do revise you have good answers to look from.

The more organised you are the easier the year will be! Any questions let me know!

Good Luck!

Wow thank you so so so much that's amazing advice I'll use that in September.. I was like that in high school but college isn't the same because its more your own work etc. so thank you and I'll try different ideas before I start.. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heres what i did:

Firstly, pick a colour for each subject. I picked pink, purple, blue, red and navy.
I bought a ring binder in each of these colours and then bought an oxford notepad in each of these colours. The oxford notepads are ideal as they are not thick and heavy and good quality. Ive seen a few people mention that they use the notepads with dividers in - dont bother. Those are heavy and bear in mind you are doing 4 subjects and therefore will not be studying all four in one day. You will most like have 2 subjects in a day, twice a week i only had one subject. Therefore using the thin oxfoed books is easier esp as you have a bad knee.

What i started doing was taking both the ringbinder and the notebool to each lesson but as the year wore on this became more difficult so i just took the notebook and left the sheets safely inside until i got home and could put them in the folder when i got home. You may find it worth it to keep the sheets in for the rest of the week or a couple more lessons just in case you need them again.

For revision, revision should start on the first day, or at the very least revise everything you have done over thw week during the weekend- thoroughly. Dont think you can get away with doing gcse level revision for alevels because you cant.

In terms of your particular subject, i took history myself and tbh there are only a certain amount of questions the examiners can ask you. My history teacher gave us a list of all the possible questions they can ask us ever and one of those questions came up word for word! It even happened last year when a question he gave his class came up so my advice is literally to do whatever your teachers tell yiu to do because they know what theyre doing. Same thing with my law teacher who gave us all possible questions they could ask us and literally all the questions in the paper had already been given to us by her.

Revise revise revise! Intense exam revision and preparation should start from january!
Use highlighters and post its to mark things out, draw mind maps and use flash cards and revision books, even record yourself reading your notes if thats your learning style. Rewrite notes out or type them all out until they stick and youre an expert.
Please please dont disregard my advice the same way i disregarded others advice otherwise youll end up worrying like me whether youre gonna have to retake!
Plus youre now going into the new alevel style which is 2 years and then exams so youre really gonna have to put an effort in because there is no opportunity to retake!
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest