Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever go out with someone whose english was bad? Watch

• Welcome Squad

Not really. I mean it depends, but probably not. I like talking, a lot, to people I care about. Mostly about myself, but even so, if I don't know he understands what I'm saying then i get no satisfaction. Hahaha jkjk
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    There has been times in the past where I've been physically attracted to someone but I couldn't push forwards with dating them properly (Ie I ended it before it progressed to anything serious) because they had a strong accent I don't mind slight accents but if it dominates then I can't. I'm not sure it that's the same as bad English but there we go.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how poor his English is but I probably would not because he'd never understand my idioms or jokes and I don't think I'd have the energy to constantly talk basic English. Furthermore, I would not be able to connect with the individual on a personal level or fully express my emotions because he won't understand what I'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...
    English and has really bad English --> No
    Foreign and can't speak any English --> No
    Foreign and speaks awful English ---> Maybe
    Someone who speaks a language that I want to be able to speak, and who is willing to listen to me **** up their mother tongue time and time again ---> Yes

ReputationRep:
    My Mum only spoke English and her native language when she met my dad, he only spoke Spanish and broken English. In about 2 years my mum learnt Spanish and he learnt English and they can now speak the languages fluently

I don't know if I would be patient enough to teach/learn a language to talk to someone but I might give it a go!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because we could just use the language of love to communicate

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by SecretDuck)
    If they were Russian like me and couldn't speak a word of English, I'd still understand them and go out with them.

But if they spoke a language that I don't know, then no.
    i always thought you were south asian for some reason lol
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i always thought you were south asian for some reason lol
    Why? :lol:

No, I'm Russian but lived in what we like to call "the West" for most of my life
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    If they spoke French or Spanish, yes.

I could probably learn another lang I suppose if I really liked someone, but its a big effort.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you don't want to. TRUST ME.

ReputationRep:
    Would prefer it if she spoke no English

Seriously though, it depends how hot she was

ReputationRep:
    Yes, It would be fun. Also I speak many languages so if they speak other another language I know it won't be that bad

(Original post by RHyoudon'kno)
    Nah, you don't want to. TRUST ME.
    why

ReputationRep:
    why
    Ugh, to much pressure and stress.
    You haven't seen the real side to him.
    He'll rely on you too much.

Ugh. No point.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so long as basic communication was fine and they're in the process of learning English. It would also help if I knew some of whatever their first language is, but I only know bits and pieces of French from my GCSE (which I did 6 years ago).

Google translate and/or a language dictionary can go a long way.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where they are from

Exotic: Yes

Asian: No.

ReputationRep:
    No.

I don't have that kind of patience

ReputationRep:
    if I could understand them and they had other qualities which I admired then yes I would, but I don't like wasting my time on people who I have to translate everything for. I mean, I had a friend who had a Lithuanian boyfriend and had to use google translator all the time. She just couldn't handle it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    are they still together?
    Haha, no. But he was fluent in English less than a year after they met, and they were together for almost fifteen years. Wasn't because of language.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.