Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For or Against latest assisted suicide (euthanasia) bill? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't oppose the idea of allowing someone to choose a dignified death when they are ready to go rather than enduring months or years of suffering however I don't think we should legalise euthanasia as it may start for all the right reasons but when people including children, the mentally ill and those who are newly disabled are being given euthanasia - which they have been in some places... that is not okay and I think safeguarding those we could have helped overrides allowing people to die for me, also there will always be the danger, especially with shrinking care resources that people may be pressured (whether on purpose or not) into euthanasia as they will be putting a huge strain on their families
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I think it's disgusting to force someone who is in so much pain and is going to die very soon anyway to live when they don't want to but don't have the strength to do anything about it themselves.
    Do you know of any cases where this has happened?

Also could you explain why you consider this bill to be preferable to a bill enshrining a right for everyone to have palliative care that follows best practice? Proper palliative care would offer pain relief even if that shortened someone's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Do you know of any cases where this has happened?

Also could you explain why you consider this bill to be preferable to a bill enshrining a right for everyone to have palliative care that follows best practice? Proper palliative care would offer pain relief even if that shortened someone's life.
    Have you not heard of the several cases that were on the news were dying British citizens travelled abroad to get euthanasia treatment because they wanted to end their life and suffering and then their family who helped them travel abroad and get the treatment faced legal action? There have been several cases of this.

There is only so much pain management can do, not to mention there are some people who are allergic to the strongest of pain killers my mum is one of them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Have you not heard of the several cases that were on the news were dying British citizens travelled abroad to get euthanasia treatment because they wanted to end their life and suffering and then their family who helped them travel abroad and get the treatment faced legal action? There have been several cases of this.
    I've heard of many cases like this - few to none that would be addressed by the proposed bill.
    There is only so much pain management can do, not to mention there are some people who are allergic to the strongest of pain killers my mum is one of them.
    Given that has she sorted out advanced directives and power of attorney then? If her options for pain relief in the current legal situation are limited by allergies then I would recommend making sure she has her wishes known legally. Advanced directives you can do yourself, POA you need to pay a solicitor (but you can minimise the cost by holding off on putting it on record unless it is needed). http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/adva...ng-wills#nav-4 is a decent guide.

For what it's worth the drug used by Dignitas does not guarantee a pain free, peaceful death for the person dying (only for the people watching) - it is this one: http://rt.com/news/pentobarbital-us-death-row/

ReputationRep:
    That's actually one of the stupidest comments I've seen. If this bill is passed and placed there will be extremely strict measures and protocols put in place to ensure those opting for assisted suicide are in the right state of mind whilst doing so and are not being coerced. Not to mention this is for terminal illnesses, this has NOTHING to do with depression.
    You're an idiot, the very engineers of this in holland don't like it because it now includes more people, just like it will in the Uk and we have seen how it paves the way for everyone, the very nature of bills allow it to be changed over time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.