Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls, Do you or would you sleep around? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No-one should be shamed for their choices, as long as they are safe and happy doing it, I really don't see the problem. Same goes for guys.

An individuals sex life is their personal business, and they only have to share it with who they wish too.
    This is a nice debate to have. You could say having casual sex demonstrates questionable morals. If the person has questionable morals over sex, what else do they have questionable morals over? People usually aim to be friends with, and be in relationships with, people they have similar morals to. As a result, it's okay to judge people by their past sexual behaviour.

(Original post by The Politisphere)
    This is a nice debate to have. You could say having casual sex demonstrates questionable morals. If the person has questionable morals over sex, what else do they have questionable morals over? People usually aim to be friends with, and be in relationships with, people they have similar morals to. As a result, it's okay to judge people by their past sexual behaviour.
    So if two people make the joint decision to have casual sex that is safe, private and they are both happy with, they have morals that are questionable? Personally, I think it's a fine decision to make, as long as they are both aware of the consequences.

What other morals are you thinking of, that could be questionable, based on this?

I have friends with very different morals - friends who sleep around with no regard to their actions, friends who would never dream of sleeping around, friends who are curious about sleeping around. And honestly, their decisions don't affect my friendship with them because that's their life choice. I respect them as long as they are happy in what they do.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, if I was seeing a girl that I liked and she told me she slept around before (numerous partners) I wouldn't want to see her again. The past may be in the past but it's certainly not appealing for the other party

ReputationRep:
    So if two people make the joint decision to have casual sex that is safe, private and they are both happy with, they have morals that are questionable? Personally, I think it's a fine decision to make, as long as they are both aware of the consequences.

What other morals are you thinking of, that could be questionable, based on this?

I have friends with very different morals - friends who sleep around with no regard to their actions, friends who would never dream of sleeping around, friends who are curious about sleeping around. And honestly, their decisions don't affect my friendship with them because that's their life choice. I respect them as long as they are happy in what they do.
    I have a friend who only has sex when he is in a loving relationship. He believes sex is a symbol of love and should be an activity between two people who hold strong feelings of love for each other. Any sex between people not in a loving relationship he views as immoral behaviour. The debate is therefore over whose morals are 'better' and if sex outside of a loving relationship is immoral. He supports the 'in cartate no ficta' idea.

If you fall on the side of the debate believing sex outside of a relationship is immoral, judging someone based upon previous sexual partners is perfectly justifiable. We are all different, all have different morals and all have a good argument for judging people.

(Original post by The Politisphere)
    I have a friend who only has sex when he is in a loving relationship. He believes sex is a symbol of love and should be an activity between two people who hold strong feelings of love for each other. Any sex between people not in a loving relationship he views as immoral behaviour. The debate is therefore over whose morals are 'better' and if sex outside of a loving relationship is immoral. He supports the 'in cartate no ficta' idea.

If you fall on the side of the debate believing sex outside of a relationship is immoral, judging someone based upon previous sexual partners is perfectly justifiable. We are all different, all have different morals and all have a good argument for judging people.
    I hear ya.

I agree it's a personal opinion. What also bugs me is the separation between men and women, like slut-shaming and banter. Even, this thread for example, asking about girls, but not boys!

(Original post by Superman_Jr)
    Personally, if I was seeing a girl that I liked and she told me she slept around before (numerous partners) I wouldn't want to see her again. The past may be in the past but it's certainly not appealing for the other party
    What's not appealing? Would you worry she would do it again?

ReputationRep:
    I hear ya.

I agree it's a personal opinion. What also bugs me is the separation between men and women, like slut-shaming and banter. Even, this thread for example, asking about girls, but not boys!
    I'm with you there. Males who sleep around are seen as 'lads' or 'studs' but females are usually 'hoes' or 'sluts'. The latter or former term should apply to both regardless of a person's sex depending on your personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see the problem. So what if a girl has slept around? As long as the sleeping around wasn't when she was in a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Nope I wouldn't. I've never been in a long relationship/ liking someone easily since I've broke with my very first boyfriend and we promise to sleep together when were ready but we never did. I respect myself too much to be able to sleep around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    Do nice guys reject nice girls just because they've had casual sex?
    Well, some do.

I personally would because, I feel it should only be done with someone you love as it is the most intimate thing you can do with someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bealzibub)
    Well, some do.

I personally would because, I feel it should only be done with someone you love as it is the most intimate thing you can do with someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That seems more judgemental than nice to me. I mean, it's fair enough to have your own ideas, but you're going to reject a really nice, attractive girl, just because she's had casual sex in the past? I don't see how that could be that important unless you see her as "tainted" in some way.

I would probably enjoy to do it but I honestly don't think I'd be able to handle the **** I'd get for doing it. Guys get a pat on the back but I'd be called a whore and looked down on by other girls, disrespected by quite a few men and not looked at as a good future partner even though when I am in a relationship I am completely committed and have never and would never cheat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    That seems more judgemental than nice to me. I mean, it's fair enough to have your own ideas, but you're going to reject a really nice, attractive girl, just because she's had casual sex in the past? I don't see how that could be that important unless you see her as "tainted" in some way.
    Oh, I should of made it clear, I wasn't suggesting that I'm a nice guy. Only the first line was just for the nice guy bit. I wouldn't see her tainted but if I'm saving it, I feel I kind of deserve it back. Everyone has stuff they look for in a girl, I don't see how this is very different to say rejecting a girl because she isn't pretty enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No I have something called self-respect.

(Original post by Rosie786)
    No I have something called self-respect.
    That's quite harsh on the girls who choose to. Just because they have some casual sex doesn't mean they don't respect themselves.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite harsh on the girls who choose to. Just because they have some casual sex doesn't mean they don't respect themselves.
    Well I didn't say anything for anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    No and No.I have values.

(Original post by Rosie786)
    Well I didn't say anything for anyone else.
    It was quite clear what you thought.

ReputationRep:
    It was quite clear what you thought.
    Well everyone have different moral values to others. Everyone can't be the same. But like I said before. I was sharing my own opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it more moral not to have sex outside of a relationship, especially if you're not religious? Well done you're not getting any, would you like a medal? I don't get it. Do what you want, as long as you're safe and consensual who cares. It's nobody else's business and any 'friend' who would judge you on something that really doesn't affect you isn't a friend I would want...I have slept with some people, so has my boyfriend, we have a lovely committed relationship and amazing sex. What is the problem?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.