Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats your opinion on ... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Smoking alone generates about £10 billion in tax revenue. The cost to the NHS for smoking related diseases is around £3 billion. These smokers who you despise so much are paying for their own healthcare and others who need it. I see no reason why they should not get free healthcare just like everybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Smoking alone generates about £10 billion in tax revenue. The cost to the NHS for smoking related diseases is around £3 billion. These smokers who you despise so much are paying for their own healthcare and others who need it. I see no reason why they should not get free healthcare just like everybody else.
    If they want to kill themselves in the process, let them.

ReputationRep:
    I think it just depends on the person really if they are drinking, smoking etc due to emotional, mental or stress issues then it's a differently thing. But if they are just smoking say 20-30 a day every day because they feel like then I am sorry they have got only themselves to blame

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Plenty of people suffer from depression and don't become alcoholics or drug addicts. There is no excuse.
    You make it as though those things are bad and they're scum of the earth

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people suffer from depression and don't become alcoholics or drug addicts. There is no excuse.
    By the same token, those who are depressed and turn to alcohol and drugs as a way to cope should probably be granted some special leeway or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    You make it as though those things are bad and they're scum of the earth
    They're certainly not victims, and they should pay for their treatment.

ReputationRep:
    They're certainly not victims, and they should pay for their treatment.
    They already do pay for their treatment through taxes. As an above poster has already pointed out the tax revenue from cigarettes alone far outweighs the cost of any smoking related illnesses, and I'm willing to bet the figures are the same for alcohol and alcohol related illnesses.

If we didn't have smokers we would lose 10 billion in taxes, and only 3 billion of that goes towards smoking related diseases. I'm trusting that the person who put up these figures was right, but then I remember them being something along these lines. Feel free to research it though if you don't believe it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    They already do pay for their treatment through taxes. As an above poster has already pointed out the tax revenue from cigarettes alone far outweighs the cost of any smoking related illnesses, and I'm willing to bet the figures are the same for alcohol and alcohol related illnesses.

If we didn't have smokers we would lose 10 billion in taxes, and only 3 billion of that goes towards smoking related diseases. I'm trusting that the person who put up these figures was right, but then I remember them being something along these lines. Feel free to research it though if you don't believe it.
    Legal drugs aren't the issue. The government gets no tax from marijuana, cocaine, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Legal drugs aren't the issue. The government gets no tax from marijuana, cocaine, etc.
    That's true, they could tax marijuana if the decided legalise the damn drug though. Not to mention marijuana is a lot safer than alcohol and tobacco and causes a lot less (barely any) health problems anyway and has shown to have extensive benefits for some people.

As for the illegal drugs, I don't have much to comment on with them I don't feel I have enough information on the costs to make an informed decision on what we should do with those people. Though in general I do believe that ALL necessary healthcare should be free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    That's true, they could tax marijuana if the decided legalise the damn drug though. Not to mention marijuana is a lot safer than alcohol and tobacco and causes a lot less (barely any) health problems anyway and has shown to have extensive benefits for some people.

As for the illegal drugs, I don't have much to comment on with them I don't feel I have enough information on the costs to make an informed decision on what we should do with those people. Though in general I do believe that ALL necessary healthcare should be free.
    Our healthcare isn't free, it's universal. You still have to pay through taxes and national insurance. All it means is that the poorest members of society can still get healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    Our healthcare isn't free, it's universal. You still have to pay through taxes and national insurance. All it means is that the poorest members of society can still get healthcare.
    Yes I know that, I do know that taxes pay for it. I know that nothing is actually FREE free, but what I meant by that is I think that all necessary healthcare should be free in that sense that it's paid for in the way that is is now and that nobody should be left to die because they can't afford to pay for a life saving treatment just because they have made some bad decisions in their life. People make mistakes, they don't deserve to die because of them.

ReputationRep:
    That is a stupid statement to make. People have different levels of severity when going through depression. The reason people becoming alcoholics or consume drugs when in this state Is for escapism. It relieves their state of mind, you have to remember drugs stimulate the same areas in the brain as when you have sex,food and excitement.

But please do not make generalizing statements on depression, possibly because you think it is a minor illness.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they should, either that or also charge people who eat processed meat, sugar, drink fizzy drinks etc. At the end of the day as a veggie who only drinks water I could easily take the moral high ground and say you should all be charged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Of course they should, either that or also charge people who eat processed meat, sugar, drink fizzy drinks etc. At the end of the day as a veggie who only drinks water I could easily take the moral high ground and say you should all be charged.
    Beer is full of sugar ¬¬

You've been living off that recently...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Beer is full of sugar ¬¬

You've been living off that recently...
    I never drink fizzy drinks or chocolate or sweets or even shop bought bread though I imagine my sugar intake is far below that if the general populace.

I don't actually believe that you should have to pay for 'self inflicted illnesses' it just annoys me that people who are happy to chow down on plenty of stuff that worsens their health somehow feel they shouldn't be charged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    Not for free, no.
    They wouldn't learn any lessons if it was done for free.
    They wouldn't learn their lesson if they were dead, either, and plenty of them would be.

ReputationRep:
    I never drink fizzy drinks or chocolate or sweets or even shop bought bread though I imagine my sugar intake is far below that if the general populace.

I don't actually believe that you should have to pay for 'self inflicted illnesses' it just annoys me that people who are happy to chow down on plenty of stuff that worsens their health somehow feel they shouldn't be charged.
    I can't stop eating biscuits :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I can't stop eating biscuits :cry:
    Well you'd better start paying to use the NHS then!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well you'd better start paying to use the NHS then!!!!!!
    :eviltongue:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hajs)
    Should lifestyle diseases be cured for free by the NHS?
    AND by free i mean the current way it is now.
    and yes i know its not currently free, its out of our taxes but i mean should the NHS have like a monthly membership?

thanks
    If somebody needs something big doing then yes it should be available free of charge on the NHS. For outpatient services (small stuff like a foot injury) then people of working age should have these services provided by the private sector. The unemployed, children and pensioners would have all services provided by the NHS.

With relevance to your thread I think that an obese person would go in for checks at the private medical centre but if they needed an organ replacing they'd have that done via the NHS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.