Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wl1)
    Just trying to get a sense of how achievable a score of around 58 is.
    A little late, but you can find the results with a little bit of Googling. Plus some past results, in my case, plus a little bit of editing and:

GAMSAT UK, 2012, 13

GAMSAT IE 2012, 13, 14.

To get a score of 58, you have to be in the top 30%, or thereabouts. I don't think it's too tough to get 55-58, which is about average for the GAMSAT. It's breaking into the top two deciles that's a struggle; I think that needs a decent preparation and/or a generous helping of good fortune from the Gods of educated guessing/pick C.

Section II is usually the one where people usually seem to pick up the most marks, so provided your SI and SIII are passable, you can inflate your score by a fair margin.

(Individual curves from March 2012 through to March 2014)
    http://i.imgur.com/7msLbqP.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/MnL6BEN.png
    http://i.imgur.com/oWpPfhw.png
    http://i.imgur.com/LHt1qbx.png
    http://i.imgur.com/9LDpAM7.png

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    A little late, but you can find the results with a little bit of Googling. Plus just looking at past results in my case. Anyway, this should be in chronological order for: Sep 2012, Mar 2013, Sep 2013, Mar 2014.

You can see that a score of 58 roughly puts you in the top 30% in the UK sitting and top 20% of the Irish sitting. Personally, having sat it a few times, I don't think getting a score of ~58 is really outside of the realms of reality with some prep and/or luck. It's breaking that 60 barrier that's a struggle; I think that needs a decent preparation and/or a generous helping of good fortune from the Gods of educated guessing/pick C.

Section II is usually the one where people usually seem to pick up the most marks, so provided your SI and SIII are passable, you can inflate your score by a fair margin.
    Thanks for the statistics. I'm actually finding SII is the section I am having the most trouble with. I have the Griffith's Review, and have read through the chapter on the essay, but I am still having problems. I think the main issue is I can't turn all the themes from the quotes into an arguable topic. Maybe I'm trying too hard to incorporate bits from all of the quotes instead of just concentrating on one or two of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wl1)
    Thanks for the statistics. I'm actually finding SII is the section I am having the most trouble with. I have the Griffith's Review, and have read through the chapter on the essay, but I am still having problems. I think the main issue is I can't turn all the themes from the quotes into an arguable topic. Maybe I'm trying too hard to incorporate bits from all of the quotes instead of just concentrating on one or two of them.
    It just depends on what you get on the day. Last September's topics were really easy to write about and I got 68 in it. When I sat it in March, it was a bit more of a struggle and I got 59. Sometimes it clicks and others, it won't. I wouldn't worry too much about it so long as you can communicate a point effectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiloMilo)
    You're not eligible ...? I know it's GAMSAT alone for UK applicants. Perhaps 53 would be enough?
    btw I just checked lol I have 55 in GAMSAT, does this make any difference?:confused::eek:

Got
    section 1 : 52
    section 2: 66
    section3 : 52

This could actually be one of my only chances of getting in ....so basically i am very desperate .....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ama2007)
    btw I just checked lol I have 55 in GAMSAT, does this make any difference?:confused::eek:

Got
    section 1 : 52
    section 2: 66
    section3 : 52

This could actually be one of my only chances of getting in ....so basically i am very desperate .....
    It's impossible for anyone to predict what the cut off will be this year - Swansea will set it to fall in line with applicants' scores, so that they interview the top 25%. You would have been interviewed for 2012 and 2013 entry, but not 2014 entry. Compared to Nottingham/SGUL etc Swansea's cut-off normally seems to be lower - it's now your decision as to whether you think it's worth the gamble, and whether you like Swansea as a med school and would be happy studying there for 4 years!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm looking to apply for Swansea in 2016, but desperately trying to get hold of some old GAMSAT books?

I was advised to come here by at GEM student from SGUL.

Thanks, Soph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiequenby)
    Hi,

I'm looking to apply for Swansea in 2016, but desperately trying to get hold of some old GAMSAT books?

Thanks, Soph.
    Just buy the Griffiths Review and get second hand/old a level guides. It shouldn't come to more than £50 total.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, working my way through the a-level guides. I'll check the Griffith's review out! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiequenby)
    Hi,

Thanks, Soph.
    I'll happily pass mine on to you in November once GAMSAT results come out, if it turns out I don't need to resit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttoned.up)
    I'll happily pass mine on to you in November once GAMSAT results come out, if it turns out I don't need to resit

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That would be brilliant if you could! Obviously I'll pay you for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is GAMSAT the only deciding factor in getting an interview?

Do they not even look at grades or experience or anything?

My GAMSAT 55
    MPHarm 2.1
    Experience: >3 years in NHS

ReputationRep:

My GAMSAT 55
    MPHarm 2.1
    I think Swansea use GAMSAT in conjunction with other factors, unlike others that use GAMSAT as the only factor prior to interview. You'd have to double check with other people though.

ReputationRep:
    Swansea GEM keep their cards close to their chest when it comes to selection process. But I gather it's a holistic approach with a large focus on interview performance, which would rely on experience I'd have thought. Grades are just a check box nothing more.

ReputationRep:

My GAMSAT 55
    MPHarm 2.1
    From the Swansea Medicine page of their website under how we decide:

Applicants, who meet the minimum entry requirements are ranked based upon their GAMSAT scores. The applicants who have scored most highly are then invited to attend the selection centre at the College of Medicine in January. We interview up to 250 candidates a year for the 70 places we have available. We will attempt to inform all applicants whether they have been successful at this stage of the selection cycle by November or December, depending on interview dates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Just buy the Griffiths Review and get second hand/old a level guides. It shouldn't come to more than £50 total.
    Completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, Swansea native here looking considering my dubious hometown for GEM. Any advice on the Griffiths Review? what actually is it. Just bought myself an A level physics book and now i am getting pretty concerned its been a long time since ive done any of this, although I am a biochem graduate which should be handy.

Also if any of you guys need any advice about the city just ask

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd comment on here as another applicant for Swansea GEM.

About to start my masters year in Chemistry, currently volunteering at a hospital and shadowing some junior doctors.

Anyone applied to Swansea before?

:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello dom_all and Mr Men!

Welcome to the thread.

Hope everyone's GAMSAT went reasonably well? Fingers crossed...!

I have not applied before Mr Men... I'm new to all this! Few weeks to go till UCAS deadline day...

ReputationRep:
    does swansea need modules mentioned on UCAS? also it seems like only GAMSAT is the deciding factor?

ReputationRep:
    How did people find the gamsat? Seeing those curves has scared me ****less! In relying solely on gamsat so don't want to **** up! Would you chose Swansea if SGUL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.