The Student Room Group

Struggling with choosing between two sixth forms- Help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thechemistress
Yeah, I really didn't expect as many people to say School 2 :tongue:

That was rather reassuring xD I think I've just built up a really negative mental image of mixed schools, without actually experiencing one :tongue:
And yeah, it would be nice to have some real life guy friends that are really good friends of mine xD I'm just so awkward around them, so this should be a good life experience :wink:

It's natural I suppose since you've never been to one that you would have a negative image as such. :tongue:

Well just because you're going to a mixed school doesn't mean you have to be friends with guys. You'll just naturally eventually become friends with a few anyway. :biggrin: At least in my experience anyway, it's usually a case of you don't really notice the gender and just become friends out of no where because of interests. :dontknow:

It'll be good to prepare you to tackle any awkwardness you have with making guy friends I suppose too before uni, rather than finding it more awkward when you go to uni. :smile:

That's just my thoughts anyway :ahee:
I feel the same way. I'm torn between two sixth forms aswell. However if I was you I'd pick the 1st one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eeny meeny miny mo?

Bumping because I still don't know :tongue:
I'm going to solely look at your situation from an academic perspective. Ask yourself this: why is school 1 better academically? The answer may be obvious, but there are actually many factors to consider; some of which are below:

Is it because 'school 1' motivate their students to work harder?
Is it because students at this school generally come from families of a higher socioeconomic status, and hence naturally perform better?
Is it because their students have greater pressure from their parents?
Is it because school 1 has a more competitive learning environment as they can attract the most academic from around the area, where students can thrive?
Is it because this school has a lower pupil:teacher ratio?
Is it because this school has better / higher-skilled teachers?

I've probably raised more questions than answered, but please also consider this:

Would you be very self-motivated, no matter which school you were at?
Does the level of teaching really become more important and something to consider at A-Levels?
How much did you learn from your own motivation and initiative rather than your teachers at your old school anyway?
Could going to school 1 at the compromise of school 2 actually harm your chances of getting into a better university, such as Cambridge in your case?
Would you be in your comfort zone by going to school 2 and have little other than grades and work to worry about?

From what I've seen, you're incredibly motivated and bright! And I in fact believe that an individual's academic potential comes down to the individual themselves, however I have no evidence to support that view... but I think it's just by attending a 'better school' that students are more motivated to excel academically. But YOU already are motivated, and by going to school 2, you will find yourself in a familiar environment without the worry of boys!

It's down to you however, I just hope that I've opened your mind. Whichever school you choose, there are many positives and opportunities, and I'm sure you will prosper and make Cambridge a reality. Good luck! :smile:
Second bump for updates :smile:
Second bump for updates :smile:

Definitely school 1!
Okay, so I'm in a bit of a fix. I'm going to refer to them as School 1 and School 2 just so I can keep my internet anonymity :wink:

School 1:
- Just a little bit better than School 2 grade-wise (higher percentage of A*/A grades as A2- like 86.4% or something).
- Closer to my house than School 2- less money spent on transport.
- One of my friends from my current school is going there next year as well.
- However, I was wait listed for the school, so they're not exactly desperate for me to join. They've said they'll offer me a place if I get a high number of A*s at GCSE- around 9 or 10, so fingers crossed for results day.
- It's a mixed school, and I've been in an all-girls school for the majority of my life. I'm worried that the change may be a bit too much for me to deal with.
- A large plus is that they put a lot of pressure on people to do well.
UPDATE: School one has now offered me a place with 100% off the school fees.

School 2:
- Not as good as School 1, but still an excellent school (I think about 72% A/A* grades at A2).
- Further away than School 1- more money spent on transport.
- Been there about 3/4 times so have made quite a few friends there.
- They've offered me an unconditional place, so doesn't depend on my grades at all
- When I went for my interviews there, I was given a sheet of questions to do for my further maths interview. Apparently I'm the only person to have ever completed the sheet in the set interview time, so the maths teacher was really excited to have me join. It's was a nice feeling knowing that you're wanted in a school xD
- They've knocked 70% of the school fees for me
- It's an all-girls school which is comforting
- It's a tad more relaxed than School 1.

Sorry about the long post.
Yeah, so if you were me, which would you go for? I just want to gauge opinions on this.
UPDATE: I've accepted school 1 but I'm still unsure because I feel that school 2 would be a friendlier school. I'm not sure if I'm just nervous because I don't actually have any friends in school 1 yet xD

SUZY - this was the exact problem I had xD

I went with School 1 :smile:
I know how you feel about the girls' school thing, my school is a girls' school as well but we're lucky in the fact that we have a mixed sixth form....so I guess we see the guys, and we also have the boys' equivalent right next to us. I'm glad you went with the first school, it might be good for you to be pushed, but I think by the sounds of your accomplishment with that Maths test whichever school you go to doesn't matter. You seem to be the one that would get the work done and get the grades.

Although, being in a mixed school does help in the fact that if you go to university or whatever happens after college, you'll be mixing with guys so it's a light introduction.
Original post by Magnesium
SUZY - this was the exact problem I had xD

I went with School 1 :smile:

What was your school 2? Tiffins?

Original post by Decerto
Definitely school 1!

Accepted school 1 :wink:
Original post by Its_Tito
I know how you feel about the girls' school thing, my school is a girls' school as well but we're lucky in the fact that we have a mixed sixth form....so I guess we see the guys, and we also have the boys' equivalent right next to us. I'm glad you went with the first school, it might be good for you to be pushed, but I think by the sounds of your accomplishment with that Maths test whichever school you go to doesn't matter. You seem to be the one that would get the work done and get the grades.

Although, being in a mixed school does help in the fact that if you go to university or whatever happens after college, you'll be mixing with guys so it's a light introduction.

Funnily enough, my mum said exactly the same :tongue: But yeah, I agree. It is sort of an introduction to schooling with guys xD

Yeah my school 2 was Tiffins xD
St Olaves is mixed and has better grades and is known for churning out well rounded individuals xD

Almost the same as you xD
Yeah my school 2 was Tiffins xD
St Olaves is mixed and has better grades and is known for churning out well rounded individuals xD

Almost the same as you xD

Well, high five xD You excited to start? :biggrin:
Well, high five xD You excited to start? :biggrin:

YES SO MUCH. A bit apprehensive about the whole "mixed schools" thing but I think I can do it xD You?

How was your first day?? :biggrin:
YES SO MUCH. A bit apprehensive about the whole "mixed schools" thing but I think I can do it xD You?

Yeah, super excited :biggrin: But same, slightly worried about mixed schooling but I think I'll be okay xD

Original post by Decerto
How was your first day?? :biggrin:

Pretty good :biggrin: It was a half day so I just did a test and learnt some stuff xD
Yeah, super excited :biggrin: But same, slightly worried about mixed schooling but I think I'll be okay xD

Pretty good :biggrin: It was a half day so I just did a test and learnt some stuff xD

Oh yes - did the test go okay and did you speak to the teacher? :biggrin:

I don't know if I can handle being the minority gender just yet xD
Original post by Decerto
Oh yes - did the test go okay and did you speak to the teacher? :biggrin:

Yep, it did :smile: It was on C1 and C2 which I hadn't done before but it was okay xD
I didn't need to- she already knew xD

I don't know if I can handle being the minority gender just yet xD

Ikr? It's gonna take some getting used to :tongue:
Funnily enough, my mum said exactly the same :tongue: But yeah, I agree. It is sort of an introduction to schooling with guys xD

Haha, well it is true :') might as well get it over and done with, I know how easy it is to just be around all girls all the time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest