Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to Uni relationship break up. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHorizon)
    If everyone thought like this then everyone would eventually break up, nobody gets in a relationship to spend there entire life with the person to begin with, but some people have experiences and just click. Long distance can test a relationship but if you can make it out the other side it will become stronger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you were 25 and in a serious relationship then I would have told you to try and make it work. However, you are (I'm assuming) 18-21 and have been going out with this girl for four months. You're just about to go off to uni where you will probably have the best time of your life and have loads of new experiences and I personally I think that being in a long distance relationship will get in the way.

But it sounds to me like your mind is already made up so don't let me try and change it. Hopefully you will prove me wrong and you guys will stay together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    What problem? She doesn't want to continue dating you since you;re gonig off to uni, which sorry to say isn't an uncommon problem for teenagers, very few 'school' relationships survive after it.

My advice is be cool, and chill. Get on with your business, you're going to go to uni and meet plenty of other people, one of which will likely be better suited to you as you continue to grow and develop and figure your life out (uni works that way).

Plus maybe you know better but even by what you said she doesn't sound especially bothered in the grand scheme of things with the relationship.

So yeah, accept the clean break, just be cool, be a friend, and try and move on. Even if you do get back together being apart during uni is a right massive stress, if not so much on you than probably on her.
    Plus it;s going to suck when you;re both at uni and both meet new people who you want to date. It could make things between you needlessly ugly.
    Yeah i completely understand what your saying, many of my friends have said that but she's also told them that she thought I didn't think it would work at Uni, I may have worded some early text a little wrong and instead of saying "What do you want to do with me going to uni?" Meaning i wanted it to continue, does she: It could have sounded like "I'm going to uni i think we should break up". She responded with she didn't know at the time but this answer would fit for whichever way she took it, as I've said before she is slightly insecure so she may take positive things and read them negatively. And uni is not a massive sex fest which is what everyone seems to think it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well you have left the ball in her court so hopefully she will see things a bit more clearer and realise that you both like eachother and that you are for real .... meanin that you will do everythin to make the relationship work :-)
    And awesome make sure you do :-) I really hope everythin goes well :-D im here to help as much as poss cos Ive been on the rough end of it and didnt even get to keep the t-shirt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eah0691)
    Well you have left the ball in her court so hopefully she will see things a bit more clearer and realise that you both like eachother and that you are for real .... meanin that you will do everythin to make the relationship work :-)
    And awesome make sure you do :-) I really hope everythin goes well :-D im here to help as much as poss cos Ive been on the rough end of it and didnt even get to keep the t-shirt

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aw man you seem so nice :-) life sucks some days, sometimes we just make rash decisions and come to regret them later.

Also though i don't know wether or not this means anything but she was at my house last week and she asked if she could take some of my clothes to remind me of her when she is at home, i get really emotional thinking about this because she did really like me last week and it cannot have changed in a week surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't let people tell you it's not going to work!!!!

If you're not letting a vast number of negative people on here change your mind then that's already a good sign

When my boyfriend and I had been together for 3 weeks he asked me what Uni I was going to- when I told him he said "but I''d miss you". That was after 3 weeks I was so shocked and a little worried he was thinking that far ahead.

Two years later- we're in the same situation and it's going to be fine touch wood. I have 4 friends who have been together since school/college and are still happy and even engaged!y boyfriends parents have been together since our age so had my Aunty and her boyfriend who she is marrying today!
    An hour and a half really isn't far- get a discount train ticket for £30 a year! If you want her to believe you- you need to do some kind of grand gesture- actions speak louder than words!

Maybe get like a hamper/basket with all d her favourite things in hehe- sweets, box set, movies, chocolates etc! from experience- she may be testing you because of her insecurities and just needs a reason to know you're in it for the long run I can see it, but that's no good if she can't. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Don't let people tell you it's not going to work!!!!

If you're not letting a vast number of negative people on here change your mind then that's already a good sign

When my boyfriend and I had been together for 3 weeks he asked me what Uni I was going to- when I told him he said "but I''d miss you". That was after 3 weeks I was so shocked and a little worried he was thinking that far ahead.

Two years later- we're in the same situation and it's going to be fine touch wood. I have 4 friends who have been together since school/college and are still happy and even engaged!y boyfriends parents have been together since our age so had my Aunty and her boyfriend who she is marrying today!
    An hour and a half really isn't far- get a discount train ticket for £30 a year! If you want her to believe you- you need to do some kind of grand gesture- actions speak louder than words!

Maybe get like a hamper/basket with all d her favourite things in hehe- sweets, box set, movies, chocolates etc! from experience- she may be testing you because of her insecurities and just needs a reason to know you're in it for the long run I can see it, but that's no good if she can't. Good luck!
    I think I am going to have to just let her decide from now, even if we did get back together there would still be a lot to do and just going to take it in steps and see how far i get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't phone her as there's a chance she might not pick up if she doesn't want to speak to you. If you send her a long text explaining your feelings that would be helpful.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.