Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking About Becoming a Muslim. Ask me Anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    Hurrah, we need more fellow Irish entering the deen!

What's your favourite (fiction)book?
    ah hello. yes my favourite fiction book? tuff one. quite a fan of Conan. I have The Complete Chronicles of Conan and I dip in to read the short stories and I really enjoy them. I'd like to read much more but I havent had a chance at Uni. other than uni related books.

what about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fojodef)
    ah hello. yes my favourite fiction book? tuff one. quite a fan of Conan. I have The Complete Chronicles of Conan and I dip in to read the short stories and I really enjoy them. I'd like to read much more but I havent had a chance at Uni. other than uni related books.

what about yourself?
    I love much I wouldn't know where to begin, it's a toss up between the Hydrogen Sonata(Ian M Banks) Three or four H.P Lovecraft shorts, Shadow over Insermouth perhaps and Mort(Terry Pratchet)

ReputationRep:
    are you asking me?
    im not nearly that advanced yet.

Oops, sorry, I mistook you for someone else :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I love much I wouldn't know where to begin, it's a toss up between the Hydrogen Sonata(Ian M Banks) Three or four H.P Lovecraft shorts, Shadow over Insermouth perhaps and Mort(Terry Pratchet)
    ah! H.P Love craft when i was in the shop i was so tempted to buy his necronomicon collection along with the conan collection! Shadow over Insermouth sounds cool I'm gonna google it.

so are you an irish muslim then?

ReputationRep:
    sure.

the irish legend of christianity is a mix between norman and roman catholic propaganda. the theory is that ireland was this country where people had never heard of god and ate raw meat & would wear nothing but animal skins. this was the type of idea propagated by gerald of wales in a book (forgive me im wrong im going off memory here) "the topography of ireland" anyway legend has it the irish were living like this and then st patrick came. then all of a sudden we sprang into civilisation.

st patrick was never really exalted by the irish and only rose to prominence later on. much more important to the irish was st columbanus, st bridget etc... st brendan and what not.

much more likely is that african monks (most likely egyptian copts) brought monasticism to ireland first. there is written records of egyptian copts going to ireland. it is also interesting to note that the coptic cross is essentially a celtic cross. also cropping up in ireland is T crosses associated with coptic clergy as they were the shepherd staffs of egypt. in fact st anthony of egypt has his own cross the Tau Cross which is a t shaped cross. anyway the irish were not solely influenced by the copts latin christianity came in to and the irish went with the latin alphabet although we kept the coptic alphabet gamma symbol for our G in irish orthography. we also held easter on the same day as the coptic church rather than roman. indeed the irish monastic tradition of producing illuminated texts like the "book of kells" and "lindesfarne gospels" is believed to have come from egypt. in fact the blue pigment used to paint with in the book of kells was taken from a mineral that was at the time only available in afghanistan. showing that ireland had reliable trade links as far as there. although egypt was probably the intermediary.

anyway the romans left england and the dark ages began. at this time irelands christian monks started to come and bring christianity to england and set up monasteries in lindisfarne. after ireland set up englands christian networks and started educating native british priests eventually england had its own native clergy. but it was still largely under the yoke of the irish monks of Iona rather than rome. the roman church eventually won influence in england and eventually there was a clash. the synod of whitby was basically the irish monks of iona vs the british romans. the matter ended with england choosing rome over iona. the irish monks packed up and left. this was around the 600s the irish church waned from england but still had good connections with gallic monks in mainland europe. things in egypt were complicated as this was also when the muslim conquests started there. although it seems ireland maintained links with egypt up until the viking invasions as the Ballycotton Cross dates from around this time.

eventually Pope Adrian IV issued a papal bull to Henry II to secure catholic control over ireland. thus destroying the native irish church and starting 800 years of colonisation from britain.

it is interesting to note the story of saint patrick. some scholars question if st patrick even existed. if you look at the elements involved. a romanised welsh man who civilised ireland and banished the snakes.
    the norman lords who particularly conquered ireland were the fitzgeralds (remember gerald of wales from earlier?). bringing the christian romanization with them. snakes are also highly representative of the egyptian coptic church. snakes have always been iconic of egypt since the pharoahs. but copts found the snake that moses's staff turned into to be greatly significant and apparently although i have not seen them myself so take this bit with a pinch of salt early coptic paintings depicted a snake being crucified on the cross. anyway so the snaked being banished from ireland could be a wink at the egyptian influence being rid from ireland. also in ancient irish myth the irish are suppose to be descendants of an egyptian princess. princess scota.

if your interested in this stuff. you could read 3 books that im aware of on this subject. "celtic from the west" "irish orientalism" and "atlantean" i cannot remember the authors but "atlantean" is by bob quinn who also made a documentary.
    Interesting. I shall have to try and look into those books. I will be adding them to my 'to read' list.

Sadly my understanding of Irish history is quite poor. I really should try and learn more of my history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Interesting. I shall have to try and look into those books. I will be adding them to my 'to read' list.

Sadly my understanding of Irish history is quite poor. I really should try and learn more of my history.
    well if you were educated in britain i dont blame you.

i didnt no much about irish history either. when i was at school learning about cromwell and that he was some sort of pioneer of democracy i went home and told my mom what we had learnt. then she told me the other side of cromwell. when i realised how different the story of one man was depending on who told it thats what made me interested in my history. i asked my mom a load of questions and she didnt know the answer so i went and read up on the history myself. know im an ass and wont shut up about it lol. but yea i'd recommend checking out "The Story of Ireland" series from BBC. last time I checked theyre all on youtube. they cover the whole history of ireland pretty well in five 1 hour long episodes. theyre a good start.

ReputationRep:
    ah! H.P Love craft when i was in the shop i was so tempted to buy his necronomicon collection along with the conan collection! Shadow over Insermouth sounds cool I'm gonna google it.
    Do it, do it, do it, do it(I'm a wee bit of a H.P fan boy as you can see from my Sig.) it contains all his best works easily.

so are you an irish muslim then?
    Eyup, my parents are full blooded Irish, but I was raised in England I can fake the accent tremendously well though,

ReputationRep:
    Do it, do it, do it, do it(I'm a wee bit of a H.P fan boy) it contains all his best works easily.

Eyup, my parents are full blooded Irish, but I was raised in England I can fake the accent tremendously well though,
    will do. its an awesome looking book too. & matches the conan one. I'm a sucker for collecting sets.

ah yea thats exactly like me. i often talk with an irish accent to my ma but then english accent when im out the door lol.

so were your parents muslim or did you convert? n i kno its a bit personal so i hope you dont mind me asking but if you did convert what was it that inspired your / got you on board?

ReputationRep:
    I havent read it yet.

each of these religions has a text. some larger than others.
    the Qu'ran, some claim, you must learn arabic to fully appreciate it.

so i thought in an attempt to cast the net wide i would meet the ambassadors of the faith and be introduced. that would then give me a better idea of what text to actually start on.
    Oh right fair enough, I thought your whole decision was based solely on the people at these places of worship and not the actual religion.

ReputationRep:
    will do. its an awesome looking book too. & matches the conan one. I'm a sucker for collecting sets.

ah yea thats exactly like me. i often talk with an irish accent to my ma but then english accent when im out the door lol.

so were your parents muslim or did you convert? n i kno its a bit personal so i hope you dont mind me asking but if you did convert what was it that inspired your / got you on board?
    No I converted of my own back shortly after I left the Military, I then apostated for close to two years, but I have very, very recently come back to Islam after realizing what a huge mistake that was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rlove95)
    Oh right fair enough, I thought your whole decision was based solely on the people at these places of worship and not the actual religion.
    thats cool yea i guess i was just looking for an initial pitch. islam definitely has come off the strongest so far.

im gonna give hindu a miss cause from what i'm aware of its more bound to being born into indian culture rather than converts and that buddhism is essentially the globally exported equivalent. plus i dont know of any hindu places of worship near me. not expecting much from the synagog. from what i've witnessed of the jewish community so far they are very private so im not expecting a warm welcome but im gonna give it a chance. then coptic church which i have no idea what expect.

ReputationRep:
    No I converted of my own back shortly after I left the Military, I then apostated for close to two years, but I have very, very recently come back to Islam after realizing what a huge mistake that was.
    i see. i was actually looking to join the royal marines after uni. was hoping to get in as an officer.

what was your experience in the army like? was it your experiences in afghanistan that lead you to convert to islam?

and stop me if you dont wanna talk about it i know some people dont.

ReputationRep:
    well if you were educated in britain i dont blame you.

i didnt no much about irish history either. when i was at school learning about cromwell and that he was some sort of pioneer of democracy i went home and told my mom what we had learnt. then she told me the other side of cromwell. when i realised how different the story of one man was depending on who told it thats what made me interested in my history. i asked my mom a load of questions and she didnt know the answer so i went and read up on the history myself. know im an ass and wont shut up about it lol. but yea i'd recommend checking out "The Story of Ireland" series from BBC. last time I checked theyre all on youtube. they cover the whole history of ireland pretty well in five 1 hour long episodes. theyre a good start.
    True. But then also the fact that my mum didn't get much of an education (only primary) and so also knows very little about her history means I have little to no understanding of my history. I think her school was more focused on drilling Catholicism into the kids than anything plus it was a tiny school in the middle of nowhere and so educational resources were scarce And my dad was raised in England and only knows a little about Irish history that he would have picked up from his mother who again I don't think received much of an education either. I think that is why I really should put in the effort and learn more about my history.

I shall check out the documentary, thanks

ReputationRep:
    i see. i was actually looking to join the royal marines after uni. was hoping to get in as an officer.

what was your experience in the army like? was it your experiences in afghanistan that lead you to convert to islam?
    Life changingly fantastic, leaving the Army was not my choice and I miss it immensely.
    It's a fantastic lifestyle and a great job, as long as you don't mind putting in the graft.

My experience in Afghanistan weren't that much of a contributing factor it was more my experience with a fellow Muslim soldier while I was there.

ReputationRep:
    Life changingly fantastic, leaving the Army was not my choice and I miss it immensely.
    It's a fantastic lifestyle and a great job, as long as you don't mind putting in the graft.

My experience in Afghanistan weren't that much of a contributing factor it was more my experience with a fellow Muslim soldier while I was there.
    ah thats promising. i always hear mixed things about the army. which regiment were u in royal irish?

ReputationRep:
    ah thats promising. i always hear mixed things about the army. which regiment were u in royal irish?
    148 Provost , Royal Military Police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    True. But then also the fact that my mum didn't get much of an education (only primary) and so also knows very little about her history means I have little to no understanding of my history. I think her school was more focused on drilling Catholicism into the kids than anything plus it was a tiny school in the middle of nowhere and so educational resources were scarce And my dad was raised in England and only knows a little about Irish history that he would have picked up from his mother who again I don't think received much of an education either. I think that is why I really should put in the effort and learn more about my history.

I shall check out the documentary, thanks
    ah yes! fire and brimstone education from a shillelagh wielding priest. great craic!

glad to be of help brother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lNurl)
    I think every single worship place represents the religion. That's why they are there, if they cannot represent their religion equally good across the globe, it means religion is failing.
    Rubbish... He's deciding his religion which appears more sociable. Hilarious, that's nothing to do with a relationship with God.

And OP's reason for not being sure of Islam (terrorism) is laughable as well. I thought it'd be a bit more pointed than the 'news'...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thats cool yea i guess i was just looking for an initial pitch. islam definitely has come off the strongest so far.

im gonna give hindu a miss cause from what i'm aware of its more bound to being born into indian culture rather than converts and that buddhism is essentially the globally exported equivalent. plus i dont know of any hindu places of worship near me. not expecting much from the synagog. from what i've witnessed of the jewish community so far they are very private so im not expecting a warm welcome but im gonna give it a chance. then coptic church which i have no idea what expect.
    I'm not trying to convert you to Hinduism but I'd like to point out the actual concept of 'you have to be born into it' is alien to Hindus. There is no formal conversion ceremony so at what point do you call yourself a Hindu or not? If so why do you need to be born to carry out rituals or say prayers that anyone can say if they want to?

It doesn't make sense. It's just a label anyway. Most Hindus aren't the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishaahmed96)
    Hi so I just thought ill stick my two cents in
    All the terrorism stuff as I'm sure your aware is a very small group of people who take things out of context or take things too literally without understanding the deeper meanings of the Quran
    Example
    The Quran mentions killing people referring to disbelievers so uneducated people take it literally and go killing innocent people who aren't muslims
    Yet when u read and understand the deeper meaning and context of the Quran u realise it means only kill them if they attack the muslims first ie self defence in times of war ect

I think it would help if you maybe purchase a book on Islam on the issues u are particularly worried about or maybe attend a mosque although that could be quite daunting for you
    it might be better to post on the islamic threads where there are more knowledgable people who could answer your questions

Also if u don't mind me asking what made you consider Islam ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Quran also mentions apostates should be killed. It is also disgustingly sexist.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.