The whole situation is just stupid.

The term "killed" is used everywhere:-

"You killed the joke"
    "They killed my vibe"
    "Hahaha this is killing me"
    "You mad? Our team will kill yours"
    "This is killing me "
    "Haha I will kill you!!"

And like the above, the possibilities to use the term "kill" are endless.

Now, no one seems to have a problem with the term "kill" being used metaphorically?

So tell me, is killing any better than raping?

I do sympathise with people who have experienced rape and with those who have lost a loved one via murder, and it's understandable that using the two terms respectively may reignite horrible thoughts. But the two words have been used for a long time, and probably will be in the future.

Making an issue out of this is.. Ridiculous really.
    I personally don't see the big deal about this metaphor myself (it's quite a good metaphor I'd say), I just thought it's an interesting topic.
    And I almost one hundred percent agree with your post.

But there isn't a widespread and long-standing problem in society of many people not taking killing/murder seriously enough.

'Killed' is also not used in the same way:
    In the rape metaphor the person doing the raping is a winner. The person who is being raped is the loser, the one to laugh at.

Most of the time (or at least more often) 'kill' is used as a negative metaphor.
    "You killed the vibe" - negative
    "It's killing me" - 'it' is doing something negative.
    Obviously, "Our team will kill yours" is similar to the rape metaphor, but it's not used that way nearly as often.

I understand your point though, and though I started this thread, it's not me who's offended by the use of the word.

ReputationRep:
    It is only a word. I wonder if "murder" will get the same backlash.

(Original post by Octopus_Garden)
      Ah. Well, the building stands, even if the soft-furnishings change.

Do you foresee a point when TSR and its successors won't have that word in the profanity filter? People saying that word is bad got that word from featuring in book titles (Agatha Christie) to being pre-emptively censored on private websites.

Culture changes.
      I don't think so. I believe that it will be a couple of generations before the word loses all meaning. It might never lose meaning and might continue to return as an offensive term. After all, it's lasted since slavery, so there's no reason why it should ever go away at all.

By the time it isn't labelled as profanity, I think TSR would be long gone.

ReputationRep:
      Germany murdered Brazil the other night didn't they?

ReputationRep:
      I have to say, I was expecting more action in this thread. Almost everyone's agreeing with each other.
      And I'm having to play devil's advocate more than I'd like to.

Fail.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous Coward)
      I have to say, I was expecting more action in this thread. Almost everyone's agreeing with each other.

Fail.
      :rofl:

HahHHahahaha

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous Coward)

Fail.
      Haha, no need to sound disappointed. Give it time, something will go down.

ReputationRep:
      Has anyone actually complained about this?

ReputationRep:
      I personally do not find it offensive- however I can completely understand how someone who has been raped may find it upsetting.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.