Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your favourite Harry Potter film and why? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Best Harry Potter film?
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    24.44%
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    28.89%
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    35.56%
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    31.11%
    Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix
    17.78%
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    13.33%
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow - Part 1
    13.33%
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2
    17.78%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    That video is somewhat misleading.

Harris' Dumbledore is also quite scary when he wants to be. He had a run in with Snape at the beginning of film 2, and also shouted over the entire Great Hall in film 1 when they discovered a troll in the toilets. There was a lot of commotion, and he basically yelled "siiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllennnn nnnnnnnnnnnccccccccceeee!!!11!!! !!one!!!!1!"
    :giggle:

on topic: CoS

ReputationRep:
    Probably phoenix or goblet. Not really a big fan of the films, they're alright. The books are all absolutely amazing beyond description, though.

ReputationRep:
    The 1st and second because they're so innocent and enjoyable, they remind me so much of my childhood- great sense of nostalgia when I watch them. DHP2 was fantastic too- defiantly the most emotional. I feel privileged to have grown up with the book/movie series

ReputationRep:
    I have only seen a couple of movies but from what I seen, I liked the movie with the pernicious headmaster from the ministry of magic, as she reminded me of my Geography teacher. I don't know the name of this movie, but I know she liked cats...

ReputationRep:
    Such a shame that some idiots had to ruin the poll by voting for every film. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Chamber of secrets is my absolute favourite. I've seen it so many times and I still love it. I wasn't really a fan of the deathly hallows 😱 but part 2 was decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    I love them all. I'm a massive HP nerd, have read the series 14 times, and wot. If I had to pick, I quite like half blood prince
    Where do i read the new story?? I don't know how to navigate at pottermore.com

ReputationRep:
    Voted for first and last as I couldn't decide.

If we were talking books it would probably be 5.

And I agree with everyone about the Dumbledores, Harris was perfect.

ReputationRep:
    The best Film is Chamber of Secrets the longest and the most faithful towards the book. My favorite book however is the Goblet of Fire followed by the Half Blood Prince. However, the 4th film (goblet of fire) while portraying the triwizard tournament really well it missed so much out. The book involves WINKY who so important towards the plot but who is missed out not even existent. We also miss out the Hogwarts's elf community in which Hermione is so heavily involved and we miss the fact that Reeta Skeeta (cannot spell her name) was an illegal animagus. The 6th film misses out a lot of the Voldemort memories which were some of the best parts of that book and very important for the continuing plot in the last book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Voted for first and last as I couldn't decide.

If we were talking books it would probably be 5.

And I agree with everyone about the Dumbledores, Harris was perfect.
    Oh actually just remembered the 5th book it was so good and now thinking about it is probably joint top with the 4th. However, the film is disastrous I mean they missed out most of the Minister of Magic ending, I really wanted to see the actors shine because they all had including Ginny, Luna and Neville some great scenes here.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the second guy who played Dumbledore as well. I can't put a finger on why, though.

As for my favourite film.... all of them (I read the books 50-odd times, lol, I'm a huge fan of the series in general) but if you made be choose, poooossibly number 4. I liked book 4 the best - though I also had more issues with film 4 than any of the others (they left so much out!). There are some scenes I love in the last two films though, especially in the last one when the teachers are putting up the boundary around Hogwarts. Brings a tear to my eye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingdoo)
    Oh actually just remembered the 5th book it was so good and now thinking about it is probably joint top with the 4th. However, the film is disastrous I mean they missed out most of the Minister of Magic ending, I really wanted to see the actors shine because they all had including Ginny, Luna and Neville some great scenes here.
    Yeah the 4th book would be second for me. They change a lot in all the films, the worst is probably the 6th where they take out the fight at the end and add in the house going on fire. And in the 4th the maze is so boring, there's none of the creatures described in the book.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The best Film is Chamber of Secrets the longest and the most faithful towards the book. My favorite book however is the Goblet of Fire followed by the Half Blood Prince. However, the 4th film (goblet of fire) while portraying the triwizard tournament really well it missed so much out. The book involves WINKY who so important towards the plot but who is missed out not even existent. We also miss out the Hogwarts's elf community in which Hermione is so heavily involved and we miss the fact that Reeta Skeeta (cannot spell her name) was an illegal animagus. The 6th film misses out a lot of the Voldemort memories which were some of the best parts of that book and very important for the continuing plot in the last book
    That's the problem with the Goblet onwards, the books were so long that doing them as a film required cutting segments of the books - look at the Deathly Hallows - even as 2 films, that wasn't the full book. They simply had to miss stuff out of Goblet and Half Blood Prince to keep them at a semi-sensible running time.

ReputationRep:
    Prisoner of Azkaban, because I have a ridiculous amount of affection for Remus and Sirius. And hippogriffs. And time travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    That's the problem with the Goblet onwards, the books were so long that doing them as a film required cutting segments of the books - look at the Deathly Hallows - even as 2 films, that wasn't the full book. They simply had to miss stuff out of Goblet and Half Blood Prince to keep them at a semi-sensible running time.
    I personally think they missed out most of my favorite parts of all the books that missed stuff out lol. Particularly the Minister of Magic ending in the 5th where they didn't even show the things where like Luna was becoming more confident especially with her magical ability, Neville becoming one of the bravest characters where he just never gives up, where Ron gets strangled by the brains where Hermione shows her vulnerability when she is one of the first to fail. Oh my god that has made me really upset now I think I will read the book again because it is so good:mad:

ReputationRep:
    3 & 4.
    I like them because they have their own individual plot lines, although more so with PoA. They were good stories in their own right, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh this thread is making me want to reread the books.
    Goodbye productivity.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I personally think they missed out most of my favorite parts of all the books that missed stuff out lol. Particularly the Minister of Magic ending in the 5th where they didn't even show the things where like Luna was becoming more confident especially with her magical ability, Neville becoming one of the bravest characters where he just never gives up, where Ron gets strangled by the brains where Hermione shows her vulnerability when she is one of the first to fail. Oh my god that has made me really upset now I think I will read the book again because it is so good:mad:
    The book was great, but y'know, they just had to cut stuff in order to fit the plot to the run time. I'd be more annoyed when they add stuff in that just didn't happen, and contradicts what follows (e.g. the fight at the burrow and it being blown up in HBP) than good stuff being cut to get the films to a sensible run time.

ReputationRep:
    This is so difficult v.v

A lot of people would disagree with me so much but The Half Blood Prince is my favourite of the films and books because it has a little of everything. I think the way it was filmed was beautiful I just wish it had stayed more true to the book, and included some more of the important parts.

I like it also because of its place in the series, just before everything turns 100000x darker. It's like the calm before the storm, it's extremely lighthearted and delicate yet among all the fun there are constant reminders that there is evil and something bad is going to happen, like with the potions book.

I don't know, I just think The Half Blood Prince is so cleverly written and beautifully filmed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    The book was great, but y'know, they just had to cut stuff in order to fit the plot to the run time. I'd be more annoyed when they add stuff in that just didn't happen, and contradicts what follows (e.g. the fight at the burrow and it being blown up in HBP) than good stuff being cut to get the films to a sensible run time.
    In all honesty isn't the 5th book the longest but the movie is the shortest. Chamber of secrets is one of the shortest books but is the longest movie. I think if you take out added scenes or prolonged scenes which were not that important then the this that were missed could easily have been included even if only partially done.

Another example was when Dobby warns Harry about Umbridge knowing about Dumbledore's army that was just replaced with her appearing :mad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.