The Student Room Group

Is anyone going to protest for Palestine?! (In London or Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alfissti
Don't you people have anything better to do?

I won't be going for it as it isn't a cause I support, I do however support Israel's right to defend itself and till you live in a place where your neighbours constantly fires rockets at your house I doubt you'd understand.

Can I as why you don't support the cause? innocent children, women and men are dying everyday. Israeli government are saying they are only targeting Hamas military areas yet the numbers of deaths of innocent civilians is shocking. I'm not disputing the fact that some Israeli's have not been attacked, however this is Palestine retaliation and I support Palestine's right to defend themselves. This injustice has been going on for years and making it more aware is better than doing nothing.
Reply 21
Original post by plusC
I'm not going to go out and protest as I imagine that would agitate people and disturb the accessibility of certain areas within london for something that will probably not have an impact on the cause

I do support the cause they are protesting about, just disagree with the perceived utility of such a protest

"Perceived utility" get off your high horse mate.
Its a better cause than what most people will be doing. At least the protestors are actually trying to achieve something worthwhile and standing up for something that is happening in reality to other people.
And if a few people are inconvenienced by an hour or two of noise or have to take a detour then who cares.
Its people like you who make up rubbish excuses like these that should be ashamed.

Original post by Drewski
Which part of "the last 25 years" confused you?

Fine... Malcolm X?

Original post by Diamante06
Can I as why you don't support the cause? innocent children, women and men are dying everyday. Israeli government are saying they are only targeting Hamas military areas yet the numbers of deaths of innocent civilians is shocking. I'm not disputing the fact that some Israeli's have not been attacked, however this is Palestine retaliation and I support Palestine's right to defend themselves. This injustice has been going on for years and making it more aware is better than doing nothing.

He's being an idiot. Those who support Israel can say nothing now. Its all coming out, all the facts and figures. 2 seriously injured vs 100 dead is just a tiny amount of the joke the Israeli media feed us. There's years worth of statistics. Its just bs that nothings happened before.

Thank you very much, your last sentence is what I've been trying to say all along :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by katbob
"Perceived utility" get off your high horse mate.
Its a better cause than what most people will be doing. At least the protestors are actually trying to achieve something worthwhile and standing up for something that is happening in reality to other people.
And if a few people are inconvenienced by an hour or two of noise or have to take a detour then who cares.
Its people like you who make up rubbish excuses like these that should be ashamed.

Fine... Malcolm X?

He's being an idiot. Those who support Israel can say nothing now. Its all coming out, all the facts and figures. 2 seriously injured vs 100 dead is just a tiny amount of the joke the Israeli media feed us. There's years worth of statistics. Its just bs that nothings happened before.

Thank you very much, your last sentence is what I've been trying to say all along :smile:

I'm not on a high horse I'm just stating facts, like the other poster has said, has there really being any successful protests in the last 25 years?.

For your information Malcolm X and the Nation of Islam was in the 60s, seriously go check your facts rather than spurting out significant protests that obviously didn't happen in the last 25 years
Original post by GnomeMage
Shame

No one in this world dares to speak out against israel.

Are you kidding me?

Everyone speaks out against Israel. Even Stephen Hawking wrote an article about it in the guardian.

Yes what Israel did was wrong but Palestinians are just as bad kidnapping and killing Israelis and hiding in civilian areas.
Original post by Mujahid95
Get a tub of red paint and chuck it at the embassy or get a load of pig and animal entrails from the local butcher and spread it on the pavements

There is protesting and there is disorderly conduct. This is the latter.
No its called drawing attention and getting your point across. Sorry mate but you are a fool protesting itself is disorderly conduct.
Original post by katbob
But inshallah those who have been killed will be granted heaven.

Are you serious?

Assuming you're not a muslim yourself, doesn't it worry you that you're repeating crazy nationalistic war slogans? That they happen to be those of another country doesn't make it ok.
No its called drawing attention and getting your point across. Sorry mate but you are a fool protesting itself is disorderly conduct.

No. Protesting by definition is 'A statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something:' That does not require you to act like a bunch of yobs.
Reply 28
Original post by plusC
I'm not on a high horse I'm just stating facts, like the other poster has said, has there really being any successful protests in the last 25 years?.

For your information Malcolm X and the Nation of Islam was in the 60s, seriously go check your facts rather than spurting out significant protests that obviously didn't happen in the last 25 years

Awk come on really? It doesn't matter about whether its successful or not. Its about doing something to help.

It was a joke. Calm the heck down lol.
But my reference to Malcolm x was actually significant because when it comes down to it they think that Israeli blood is worth more than Palestinian/Arab blood. Just like the whites thought they were worth more than coloured people.

Original post by TSA
Are you kidding me?

Everyone speaks out against Israel. Even Stephen Hawking wrote an article about it in the guardian.

Yes what Israel did was wrong but Palestinians are just as bad kidnapping and killing Israelis and hiding in civilian areas.

Yeah they may speak out against it but these people aren't really very influential at all when contributing to the conflict I mean. The people who really need to be condemning the whole thing aren't doing that.

Get a tub of red paint and chuck it at the embassy or get a load of pig and animal entrails from the local butcher and spread it on the pavements

That would just make us as bad as them. We shouldn't lower ourselves to their level.
Calm it :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by katbob
What do you actually do at a protest?
Are you supposed to take anything with you??
Does it really achieve anything?

Oh btw for anyone interested

And the one in Birmingham. Today at 5.30pm outside Waterstones, High Street near to the Bullring, Birmingham City Centre B4 7SL.

The fact Israel are doing this during Ramadan is appauling, with them all fasting! But inshallah those who have been killed will be granted heaven.
hmm I havent looked into it enough to form an opinion on it...

besides I think you can do better than simply protest
Reply 30
[QUOTE=katbob;48567771
Awk come on really? It doesn't matter about whether its successful or not. Its about doing something to help.

It was a joke. Calm the heck down lol.
But my reference to Malcolm x was actually significant because when it comes down to it they think that Israeli blood is worth more than Palestinian/Arab blood. Just like the whites thought they were worth more than coloured people.

Yeah they may speak out against it but these people aren't really very influential at all when contributing to the conflict I mean. The people who really need to be condemning the whole thing aren't doing that.

That would just make us as bad as them. We shouldn't lower ourselves to their level.
Calm it :tongue:
Umm yes it does matter about whether it is successful or not since it is using up resources and therefore presenting a higher opportunity cost if the protest fails to lead to any real action been taken.

Yeah nice comparison, still your ''joke'' was entirely irrelevant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Observatory
Are you serious?

Assuming you're not a muslim yourself, doesn't it worry you that you're repeating crazy nationalistic war slogans? That they happen to be those of another country doesn't make it ok.

Wtf are you talking about?

Im talking about everyone who has died. Not just the Palestinian fighters. But everyone, men women and children.

In Islam when anyone dies, we pray that they are accepted into heaven. If you don't anything then don't start coming out with ****e.
Protesting gets you no where and i know that from experience especially if you tell police beforehand. You have to make it funny and shocking.
Original post by katbob
Wtf are you talking about?

Im talking about everyone who has died. Not just the Palestinian fighters. But everyone, men women and children.

In Islam when anyone dies, we pray that they are accepted into heaven. If you don't anything then don't start coming out with ****e.

It's the difference between, "I think the bombing of Dresden was morally wrong." and, "Sieg Heil! True Aryans will meet again in Valhalla!".
Reply 34
lol. I can think of much better ways to waste an afternoon than trekking to London.

Seriously, like it will make a blind bit of difference what you say or do.
These people are idiots. They've been shooting at one another for years and years. They won't be happy until they have killed one another down to the last.
Original post by Alfissti
Don't you people have anything better to do?

I won't be going for it as it isn't a cause I support, I do however support Israel's right to defend itself and till you live in a place where your neighbours constantly fires rockets at your house I doubt you'd understand.

3 Israelis were badly injured but none died

137 Palestinians have died already with bomb dropping on Gaza almost every hour.

Tell me, who has the right to defend themselves?
Yh Yh mate you got better things to do like play video games go on facebook,
Original post by lilypear
Tell me, who has the right to defend themselves?

Everybody has the right to defend themselves.
Original post by Drewski
Everybody has the right to defend themselves.

The poster who I'm quoting is saying that Israel has more of a right to defend themselves over Palestine.
Original post by katbob

No problem, the issue continues to be ignored. Palestinians have been persecuted for years in their homeland where 78% has been wrongly seized by Israelis and allowed by the rest of the world. It's easy to feel sorry for them but the people need more than our sympathy. Raising awareness and gaining the attention of powerful international organisations shows that we, humans all over the world, cant just sit back and watch people being persecuted before our very eyes.Hopefully gaining attention can cause more coverage of what is really going on, increase in help aid and necessary supplies.
It's so sad that in this day and age we still have not learnt from history.
#FreePalestine!

P.s there was a protest on the show coronation street (years back) where people did not like the plot (an innocent person went to prison). Because of the majority raising an issue and protesting caused the writers of coronation street to change the plot of the show. And this is only a fake show, why can't real change happen in more important matters!!!

Quick Reply

Latest