Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I cant tell the difference really. Hardly ever drink full fat though as eating enough is not a problem

ReputationRep:
    18/07/14

Workout B:

Mixed session today.

Deadlift - 1x5 50kg. Couldn't find 10kg weights so tried 15kg each side. Weight felt about right for me as a starting point. Not sure about form, though, as it was really difficult to tell if it was right. As illusionz pointed out, the barbell was lower off the ground which made it more difficult. When I finished the set I felt an awesome release, presumably of some sort of hormone? Loved it anyway, felt great.

Squat - 5x5 22.5kg. No real problems, think form was pretty good.

OHP - 5x5 20kg. Definitely the hardest lift I've done so far. I think form was good on the first two sets; third not as good. Form nosedived on the last two sets because someone was waiting to squat and I'd been there ages so had like two 30s rests.

On OHP is it supposed to be strictly your arms doing the work? On the last two sets I felt my back getting into it (presumably because I was struggling), but wanted to clarify here.

Think it's probably worth re-doing 5x5 at 20kg next OHP due to this.

I will post videos after my next workout hopefully. My brother goes with me so I'll just ask if he can film one set of each of the lifts or something.

ReputationRep:
    Neck/upper back a bit sore today. Not sure whether that's due to lifts themselves or poor form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    20/07/14

Workout A:

Squat 5x5 - 25kg. Legs felt stiff beforehand so wasn't comfortable getting the required depth, although I still was able to. Trying to keep my head at a slightly elevated angle as well (as advised on 'so you think you can squat' youtube series) so still working on form etc.

Barbell row 5x5 - 32.5kg. Again not sure on form. Definitely need to get some videos recorded for here.

Bench Press 5x5 - 22.5kg. Think my form is improving on this now which is good, just need to make sure I'm moving the bar directly vertically up and down.

Also did a few light warm up sets for each, not really sure if they're supposed to be structured, though, or just whatever feels right etc?

ReputationRep:
    Imo, important to get some videos recorded. You don't want to be squatting/deadlifting wrong especially. Can massive hurt your back as i found out the hard way.

With regard to milk, this is how i do it. I i just buy 1l of Choco milk for use every day. 2 for £2 in tesco for the 1l. I just water it down with full fat milk. So it's 1/3 or 1/2 choco milk, and half full fat milk. It's way too much for me to have a 1l chocolate milk. Way too rich for my tastes, and a lot of sugar. Tastes better when it's milkier too imo. This techniques makes it easier for me to bring milk to work so i have it couple of hours after breakfast - I really don't like straight up milk in large quantities - so that's personally how i do it. Hasn't got boring for me a month later haha - which is surprising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Imo, important to get some videos recorded. You don't want to be squatting/deadlifting wrong especially. Can massive hurt your back as i found out the hard way.

With regard to milk, this is how i do it. I i just buy 1l of Choco milk for use every day. 2 for £2 in tesco for the 1l. I just water it down with full fat milk. So it's 1/3 or 1/2 choco milk, and half full fat milk. It's way too much for me to have a 1l chocolate milk. Way too rich for my tastes, and a lot of sugar. Tastes better when it's milkier too imo. This techniques makes it easier for me to bring milk to work so i have it couple of hours after breakfast - I really don't like straight up milk in large quantities - so that's personally how i do it. Hasn't got boring for me a month later haha - which is surprising.
    Cheers, I'll definitely get some on Tuesday.

Can you help me on an OHP query? Not sure whether it's just strictly arms doing the work, ie no back involvement. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    On OHP you should tense your core, tense your glutes and quads and hold them tight throughout the movement. (don't drive with your legs though)
    Pulling with your lats is also wise (see the Omar Isuf vid on OHP)
    The back thing.. Is this from you leaning back? If you some lean back is expected... But only until a point. If your feeling it in your lower back, narrow your stance a little.

Gains are coming, very nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    On OHP you should tense your core, tense your glutes and quads and hold them tight throughout the movement. (don't drive with your legs though)
    Pulling with your lats is also wise (see the Omar Isuf vid on OHP)
    The back thing.. Is this from you leaning back? If you some lean back is expected... But only until a point. If your feeling it in your lower back, narrow your stance a little.

Gains are coming, very nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, wasn't aware of tensing core/legs etc.

I wouldn't say it was leaning back. More like moving my hips and lower back forward slightly so they were actually getting into the lift? Not sure, it was really because I was struggling using small rests. I'll redo 20kg this week and see.

Not sure I can call much gains so far since I deliberately started low for form, but thanks, it's definitely nice to progress and I'm enjoying it so far. Your diet advice was also very useful, myfitnesspal is great (although I'm mainly just scanning barcodes as I'm too lazy to set up proper foods yet Also how do you use fresh fruit & veg on it?)

ReputationRep:
    Weight today:

66.8kg.

Glad I've definitely put weight on. Only problem is I'm not sure how much as I didn't account for clothes during original weigh-in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Endless Blue)

I wouldn't say it was leaning back. More like moving my hips and lower back forward slightly so they were actually getting into the lift? Not sure, it was really because I was struggling using small rests. I'll redo 20kg this week and see.

Not sure I can call much gains so far since I deliberately started low for form, but thanks, it's definitely nice to progress and I'm enjoying it so far. Your diet advice was also very useful, myfitnesspal is great (although I'm mainly just scanning barcodes as I'm too lazy to set up proper foods yet Also how do you use fresh fruit & veg on it?)
    Moving your hips forward is OHP leaning

You might want to do false grip for it aswell... See Blahas vid on it on YouTube

I would link you these vids but I'm on my phone

Er for fresh veg I input the veg and work out the amount of it I've used by weight

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    weight is being shifted completely by your shoulders and arms. Everything else is for stabilisation.

No brah. Now is the time you make technique and neuromuscular gains. Gains galooooore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Use apetamin and Maca root, these encourage weight gain x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    22/07/14

Workout B:

Squats - 20kg 2x5
    27.5kg 5x5

Depth was sometimes an issue as my legs were feeling really stiff beforehand. Weight seemed fine, but still working hard on form.

Deadlift - 40kg 1x5
    50kg 1x5

Think form was off tbh, especially on 40kg as it was hard to get down to the bar correctly.

OHP - 20kg 5x5

Much happier with it this time, so will progress onto 22.5kg next time. Still the hardest lift I've experienced so far, though - more rest time needed than any of the other lifts.

I've got some videos to post from my iPod that my brother recorded on form, so advice when they're up would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Squats:

I know depth on some (esp. #2) wasn't enough, but otherwise not sure what to correct etc.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Deadlifts:

My deadlifts here seem pretty bad to me, although I do think some of that was to do with using the 10kg weights. I could feel it in my lower back afterwards so I'm really keen to correct this.

ReputationRep:
    Deadlifts:

My deadlifts here seem pretty bad to me, although I do think some of that was to do with using the 10kg weights. I could feel it in my lower back afterwards so I'm really keen to correct this.
    Have you heard of apetamin

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rudebirdy)
    Have you heard of apetamin

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, why?

I'm making weight gain progress fine atm, don't see why I need to take supplements for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    Videos are private, mate. Need to set them as "unlisted" so that we can see them, but randomers on YouTube can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Videos are private, mate. Need to set them as "unlisted" so that we can see them, but randomers on YouTube can't.
    Ok, thanks. Sorry haha I thought private would still let you see them linked here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bench form needs a lot of work. Bar is too far away from you, you're locking out your legs way too early. You're not actually locking out either - still leaning forwards.

Google so you think you can deadlift. Also look for Ripptoe's guide on deadlift setup

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.