The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

POLL: What's your view on #FreeTheNipple?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I would love if the human species wasn't as self-conscious as it was. Walking around naked would be 'natural' and we wouldn't have to hide parts of our body that have a natural purpose for our species. But sadly, we are extremely self-conscious, everything we do is based off of our emotions, experiences and beliefs. If a woman was to walk around in public without a top on with her breasts showing, it would be 'offensive' or 'slutty' and you'd see parents shielding their child's eyes. Why shield them from something they are bound to see? You're just teaching them to be ashamed of what they have and grow up believing that this is the way things should be... we should hide our bodies. However, not everything is this black and white and obviously you have to keep in mind that because we have placed taboo's on things like a woman's naked breasts, then they're going to become something that is sought after and this is where perverts come in, and protecting child's innocence. At the end of the day, a nipple is a nipple, it's flesh, it's just as human as your big toe but you don't cover that up. But because these body parts have become taboo and sensitized, it has become a catalyst for debate on whether someone is hot ('right' size breasts) and therefore, if it were to become legal, would every woman start walking topless on the beach? In this generation, and the generations before it, I think the damage has already been done, and many women wouldn't have the confidence to do it. But for the women who are confident enough to breast feed their baby in public, a COMPLETELY natural thing to do, or women who want to walk topless and bra-less, showing a perfectly natural part of their body, then so be it. You don't need to protect yourself from the nature of your own species. There are far worse things in the world to be scared of.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zowidi
I would love if the human species wasn't as self-conscious as it was. Walking around naked would be 'natural' and we wouldn't have to hide parts of our body that have a natural purpose for our species.

But we are incredibly sex obsessed. It wouldn't be as fun seeing someone naked if we all walked around with nothing on.
Original post by zippity.doodah
who can honestly say that a woman should be physically forced into covering up her body?
because a law that prohibits a woman from showing her body has that exact result
would you physically force a woman to do that? if not, then why let the government do it for you?

Because you doing something vigilante style is not the same as elected representatives defining what is what is not acceptable level of nudity.

I believe in free speech but I dont believe someone has the right to use a megaphone at 3AM. All rights have limits including women
Reply 23
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But we are incredibly sex obsessed. It wouldn't be as fun seeing someone naked if we all walked around with nothing on.

If we're so sex obsessed that shouldn't be a problem, and there are so many ways to make sex fun :h:

Looking at a naked person is a completely different experience to having sex with naked person.
Reply 24
Original post by James222
Because you doing something vigilante style is not the same as elected representatives defining what is what is not acceptable level of nudity.

I believe in free speech but I dont believe someone has the right to use a megaphone at 3AM. All rights have limits including women

I half agree. In business meetings you wouldn't expect your male boss to be walking around shirtless, because it's unprofessional. I think that if a woman had the right to be shirtless in public, the same would apply. However, in a public swimming pool for example, a man can be topless but a woman can't, that's ridiculous in my opinion.
Its bit different from men because female nipples are attached to breasts, which men don't have. Male nipples are not sexual, unlike female nipples.

But, thats not to say women should cover up. They should get them out at appropriate times like on beach and when they breast feed, which hardly anyone finds offensive anyway.

Cant really women actually wanting to go topless down the street or in the swimming pool like men do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zowidi
If we're so sex obsessed that shouldn't be a problem, and there are so many ways to make sex fun :h:

Looking at a naked person is a completely different experience to having sex with naked person.

What I mean is our need to cover up could be due to us being a sex obsessed species.

Well obviously :tongue: But the fact it is not normal to see people full on naked most of the time makes it more exciting when you do and have sex.
Reply 27
What I mean is our need to cover up could be due to us being a sex obsessed species.

Well obviously :tongue: But the fact it is not normal to see people full on naked most of the time makes it more exciting when you do and have sex.

Oh I see! Yes you're right, we want to be special little flowers and be the only one to see that person naked ^-^
Original post by Zowidi
Oh I see! Yes you're right, we want to be special little flowers and be the only one to see that person naked ^-^

:yes:

That and it's freezing most of then time in Britain. :tongue:
Reply 29
:yes:

That and it's freezing most of then time in Britain. :tongue:

Hahaha...

Good point :sigh:
Original post by Zowidi
I half agree. In business meetings you wouldn't expect your male boss to be walking around shirtless, because it's unprofessional. I think that if a woman had the right to be shirtless in public, the same would apply. However, in a public swimming pool for example, a man can be topless but a woman can't, that's ridiculous in my opinion.

I have been swimming pools where women sunbathe topless slightly away from the main pool and no one objected. Also swimming pools are mostly private property or run by councils its up the owner to decide the dress code. A man and a women being topless are not the same thing, one is far more sexual than the other, men and women are not identical but they are equal.
Reply 31
I have been swimming pools where women sunbathe topless slightly away from the main pool and no one objected. Also swimming pools are mostly private property or run by councils its up the owner to decide the dress code. A man and a women being topless are not the same thing, one is far more sexual than the other, men and women are not identical but they are equal.

I agree with you , but I just wish it didn't have to be that way, especially when it gets in the way of women breast feeding in public.
Original post by Zowidi
I agree with you , but I just wish it didn't have to be that way, especially when it gets in the way of women breastfeeding in public.

oh yea I support women breast feeding in public, I even support forcing private businesses to accommodate or being unable to kick out women who choose to breastfeed. I just dont support topless people everywhere lol kind of distracting if say your at family restaurant.

free speech isn't about your loudness, it's about what you're allowed to say, and that is *meant* be anything; nobody is saying you're allowed to use megaphones any time you want, seeing as sound waves at that level can disrupt people's lives to a fundamental degree, e.g. preventing people from being able to sleep (which isn't a matter of opinion; if you are trying to sleep and soundwaves are attacking your eardrums, that's not your problem). and nudity is nothing - there's nothing objectively negative about seeing somebody without clothes; if you're going to prohibit something for its undesirability (though no direct or physical harm or infringement of liberty caused) you may as well ban fat and smelly people too.

but really, with democracy, you shouldn't be able to legislate over these matters e.g. literally victimless crimes.
(edited 9 years ago)
I find it funny that a lot of people on here are for this yet the large majority of you will look down at page 3 models. Hypocrisy at it's finest
Original post by zippity.doodah
free speech isn't about your loudness, it's about what you're allowed to say, and that is *meant* be anything; nobody is saying you're allowed to use megaphones any time you want, seeing as sound waves at that level can disrupt people's lives to a fundamental degree, e.g. preventing people from being able to sleep (which isn't a matter of opinion; if you are trying to sleep and soundwaves are attacking your eardrums, that's not your problem). and nudity is nothing - there's nothing objectively negative about seeing somebody without clothes; if you're going to prohibit something for its undesirability (though no direct or physical harm or infringement of liberty caused) you may as well ban fat and smelly people too.

but really, with democracy, you shouldn't be able to legislate over these matters e.g. literally victimless crimes.

How dare you trample on the right to assemble freely
you fascist ***, if you cant sleep because of my noise close your windows buy ear plugs. Why should I cover up my voice.

Its causes me distress and alarm, and causing distress and alarm in public is illegal. People cant control their weight and to smell someone you have to be standing really close to them. If they stink so bad that they are a public hazard that is illegal.
Reply 36
Feminists, who are currently campaigning against Lads Mags and Page 3 etc., are apparently at the same time trying to promote women being topless? They never fail to amuse me :bricks:
(edited 9 years ago)
How dare you trample on the right to assemble freely
you fascist ***, if you cant sleep because of my noise close your windows buy ear plugs. Why should I cover up my voice.

Its causes me distress and alarm, and causing distress and alarm in public is illegal. People cant control their weight and to smell someone you have to be standing really close to them. If they stink so bad that they are a public hazard that is illegal.

listen - free speech isn't an entitlement to force everybody to listen to you. you can't make everybody a captive audience. you can rent out a private hall and invite people to hear you, or you can speak (and say absolutely anything you want~) in private or public without making passers-by unable to ignore you, which is also an option with free speech in society. with free speech, you can say anything you want and people can listen or they can ignore. you can just burst everybody's eardrums and cause actual bodily harm for the sake of your intolerance of their apathy.
Original post by imtelling
Its bit different from men because female nipples are attached to breasts, which men don't have. Male nipples are not sexual, unlike female nipples.

But, thats not to say women should cover up. They should get them out at appropriate times like on beach and when they breast feed, which hardly anyone finds offensive anyway.

Cant really women actually wanting to go topless down the street or in the swimming pool like men do.

Except that usually you find that on TV, breasts aren't censored unless the nipple is showing. You can show as much cleavage/sideboob/underboob as you want, it's the nipple that's the issue (such as in P!nk's Just Like a Pill Video where she has tape over her nipples).
So clearly the issue must not lie with the breast, or there would be an issue with cleavage/sideboob/underboob.
Reply 39
I'm not sure either way. I think I support freeing the nipple. But the thing is, boobs/nipples are well-known as sexual things for a woman to have, so that it doesn't seem decent to be exposing young children to them. With men, nipples don't seem to be well-known sexual things.

Perhaps some women could weigh in on whether nipples in men turn them on. You get the odd girl who says a guy has nice abs, so I wouldn't be surprised of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending