1. Forrest Gump v 5. Back to the Future
    2. It's a Wonderful Life v 6. Eternal Sunshine

Wartime & Western
    1. Good, Bad & Ugly v 4. Private Ryan
    2. Schindler's v 6. Apocalypse Now

Fantasy & SF
    1. LOTR: ROTK v 4. T2
    2. Empire Strikes Back v 3. The Matrix
    I expect Shawshank and Fight club to win (but purely based upon what I've heard about them
    Forrest Gump and not a clue
    Private Ryan. Not sure about Apocalypse v Schindler, will be close, wish it were the next round not this one, but I reckon Schindler by 2 votes.
    LotR and Empire, [next to] no doubt, LotR to win over Empire next round by about 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I expect Shawshank and Fight club to win (but purely based upon what I've heard about them
    Forrest Gump and not a clue
    Private Ryan. Not sure about Apocalypse v Schindler, will be close, wish it were the next round not this one, but I reckon Schindler by 2 votes.
    LotR and Empire, [next to] no doubt, LotR to win over Empire next round by about 5
    Worth remembering that the final group round is to determine who plays the respective winners and runners up (winners play runners up and vice versa) from the other four groups; the 'final two' from each group are both guaranteed spots in the round of 16.

However two films from the same group can only meet again if they both make the final. Which is pretty unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    A sneak preview of the round 2 match-ups for Groups A-D

Drama
    1. Shawshank v 4. Cuckoo's
    7. The Green Mile v 3. Fight Club

Comedy, Family & Romance
    1. Forrest Gump v 5. Back to the Future
    2. It's a Wonderful Life v 6. Eternal Sunshine

Wartime & Western
    1. Good, Bad & Ugly v 4. Private Ryan
    2. Schindler's v 6. Apocalypse Now

Fantasy & SF
    Will be very disappointed if saving private Ryan or back to the future loses here but I suspect they will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Will be very disappointed if saving private Ryan or back to the future loses here but I suspect they will
    Back to the Future vs Forrest Gump will be so close (I think!)

I love them both!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itssimplyme)
    Back to the Future vs Forrest Gump will be so close (I think!)

I love them both!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not really a big fan of Forrest Gump if I'm honest. It was a good one-time film but I don't think I'd ever watch it again but everyone seems to love it haha

Hopefully the classic time travel movie does well. It'll definitely be very close if anything

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really a big fan of Forrest Gump if I'm honest. It was a good one-time film but I don't think I'd ever watch it again but everyone seems to love it haha

Hopefully the classic time travel movie does well. It'll definitely be very close if anything
    I predicted forest Gump but will be voting back to the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Group B QF1: Forrest Gump (39 votes) V Monty Python and the Holy Grail (19 votes)
    Oh dear, a "comedy" with not one laugh in the first half of the movie beat python in a battle of comedies...

Still shocked that despicable me isn't in it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I like you any particular reason why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)

Oh dear, a "comedy" with not one laugh in the first half of the movie beat python in a battle of comedies...

Forrest Gump is a well made funny overall film. A lot of people don't find python that funny.

Imdb rankings decided the top films so blame them. And it wouldn't beat lion king or up or finding Nemo imo so it would be our quickly.

I like you any particular reason why?
    I think Forrest Gump is more widely liked by the masses but I personally prefer bttf.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I think Forrest Gump is more widely liked by the masses but I personally prefer bttf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Completely agree
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Forrest Gump is a well made funny overall film. A lot of people don't find python that funny.

Imdb rankings decided the top films so blame them. And it wouldn't beat lion king or up or finding Nemo imo so it would be our quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Forrest Gump is the only comedy that hasn't even raised a smile from me, so I completely disagree on it being funny. Python meanwhile are comedy legends (although Brian is better than Grail, no question)

True, I can't agree with the imdb on much though - for instance the absence of scarface - behind only the first two godfathers for that genre as far as I'm concerned. I'd back it against finding nemo, never seen up.

ReputationRep:

Despicable Me was ineligible, due to it not being in the IMDb 250. Sorry.

Agree with you on Forrest Gump and Python, and perhaps a shame that Brian wasn't ranked higher than Grail.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Vote Marty McFly!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Despicable Me was ineligible, due to it not being in the IMDb 250. Sorry.

Agree with you on Forrest Gump and Python, and perhaps a shame that Brian wasn't ranked higher than Grail.
    I know, it's more a criticism of the imdb 250 (alongside scarface being in the hundreds, and godfather ii not being top with a flawless score)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Jesus Christ Pan's Labyrinth is so much better than the Matrix it's laughable.

It is, but it's not as important a film as the Matrix. The Matrix defined a decade of cinema, and most of the things that make Pan's Labyrinth a better film simply come from development of techniques and catering to our more modern palette. I think it deserved the win, despite Pan's Labyrinth being one of my all time favourite films and the Matrix really not being in that category :lol:

All the results are as I expected, though not how I voted. :ahee:

Really? What makes you say that?

I thought it was a cute film and all, but utterly forgettable.

Fantasy & SF

Oooooooooooo diz 'gun bee gud.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Really? What makes you say that?

I thought it was a cute film and all, but utterly forgettable.
    Simple, it's a great film - alongside wreck it Ralph one of the only recent animations I've enjoyed. Most of the films on this are forgettable or just plain poor - that's hardly criteria for it not to make it. Frankly I've been through the imdb 250 and I couldn't fail to disagree with any of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Simple, it's a great film - alongside wreck it Ralph one of the only recent animations I've enjoyed. Most of the films on this are forgettable or just plain poor - that's hardly criteria for it not to make it. Frankly I've been through the imdb 250 and I couldn't fail to disagree with any of it.

But what makes it a great film? I genuinely never saw anything in it that wasn't recycled and tedious. I know it's all personal taste and all, but I've just never heard it called anything more than half hearted positive, let alone a contender for greatest animated film of all time :dontknow:

(Disclaimer: I am very willing to be convinced!)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    But what makes it a great film? I genuinely never saw anything in it that wasn't recycled and tedious. I know it's all personal taste and all, but I've just never heard it called anything more than half hearted positive, let alone a contender for greatest animated film of all time :dontknow:

(Disclaimer: I am very willing to be convinced!)
    If we're putting films down for being tedious, then look no further than lord of the rings - the most tedious film I've ever attempted to watch (I've never been able to finish it because of how boring it is), but I found despicable me to be quite fresh compared to its contemporaries, I wouldn't say it was similar to any other film in the animation section at the time.

It's not the greatest animation of all time - but I much prefer it to films like finding nemo (which is both forgettable and very wrong, right from nemos dad still being a bloke after the first 5 minutes).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    If we're putting films down for being tedious, then look no further than lord of the rings - the most tedious film I've ever attempted to watch (I've never been able to finish it because of how boring it is), but I found despicable me to be quite fresh compared to its contemporaries, I wouldn't say it was similar to any other film in the animation section at the time.

It's not the greatest animation of all time - but I much prefer it to films like finding nemo (which is both forgettable and very wrong, right from nemos dad still being a bloke after the first 5 minutes).

Fair enough then, it's clear we've got far too different opinions on what makes a good film to find any middle ground here. :hat2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.