Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think that Sports Day should be banned? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    hey they could introduce new events to suit people like yourself;

100m iphone dash... you have to text a 140 word twitter message on an iphone whilst running 100m in a straight line. all navigation aids must be disabled...

TSR rep-athon. You must post a tragic story about yourself in Relationships whilst jogging round the Sports Field. the winner is the person with the most reps after 12 circuits. a special prize for the most PMs arising.

ipod and spoon race... you have to run 200m balancing an ipod on a teaspoon. all wires must be disconnected.
    I was thinking more along the lines of the mug and spoon race - where the first person to the finish line gets to spoon with a girl platonically for 15 seconds, as long as he understands the nature of their relationship.

This is followed by the hope jump, where the participants see how high their hopes can soar, before crashing down to earth.

Also the 4 x 400 Introversion relay. This can take up to 6 days to complete.

ReputationRep:
    Not banned, but definitely optional participation only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sports days are fun! Even if you don't like it, it's only for one day of the year :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    I think that there should be an academic opportunity for those who aren't good at sport.
    Isn't that what the rest of the school year is for?

I agree that sports day should be optional, though. I'm fairly sporty but never really enjoyed sports days and never attended them from years 8-11. No one noticed though, so I think they often say it's compulsory but they don't follow through with it.

I think sports day probably is becoming more relevant these days with increasing obesity levels, as it is important to promote sports and physical activities to kids.

ReputationRep:
    My school has a four main sports days (carnivals); cross-country carnival, swimming carnival, athletics carnival and the touch-football day. It's painful. And compulsory attendance/participation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Sports in school should be optional, but not banned. I am pretty good shape myself, so if I were to go back I probably would be one of the better people, so it's not as if my opinion is motivated by personal interest.
    Are you saying that PE/games/sports lessons should be optional throughout your school life? That is a ridiculous suggestion if so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unsworth)
    Are you saying that PE/games/sports lessons should be optional throughout your school life? That is a ridiculous suggestion if so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do think this actually

At my school the PE staff were nothing more than glorified chavs; they bullied some kid who was known as being smelly (as disgusting as that it, it's not reason to bully a guy), their biological knowledge was appalling (people who took Sports Science for a level told me) and the lessons were terrible if you actually expect to improve your health and fitness.

If a person actually wants to get in shape, they should join a gym and do serious cardio as well, i.e. make a lifestyle change, rather than having some Nike-wearing thug, yelling at them from the sideline.

ReputationRep:
    I think in an obesity crisis, motivating children to exercise by introducing competition for one day in the year is not a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unsworth)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think they should. They were detrimental to my sporting, fitness and social development.

ReputationRep:
    I was quite poor at Maths and didn't enjoy it. Can that be banned too please?

ReputationRep:
    I think all sport at school should be optional. It's just a chance to be bullied by students and teachers. School is about learning. Not humiliation. Anyone who didn't want to do anything just messed around anyway.

Anyway, I never learnt any of the rules of any of the games we played. Did tennis every year from year 7 to year 11 - no idea how you score a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I was quite poor at Maths and didn't enjoy it. Can that be banned too please?
    Yeah, but you need maths for your future life. You don't need to know how to do country dancing or play rounders.

Also, no-one at my school was bullied for being bad at maths and you weren't forced to do it timed in front of the whole class/school whereas this is the case for sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empressbethie)
    That amount of humiliation should not be compulsory... I've skived about half of them and in the other half I've come last every single time and gone home crying because people get competitive and are nasty to the losers. Really should be optional- I'd happily spend the day doing exams or cleaning toilets or anything instead.
    Oh no, how horrible it must've been for you to be bad at something for a day. I'm sure you have great sympathy for all the people who struggle with school work every hour of every day.

ReputationRep:
    Can maths and science be optional as well since I'm not very good at that?

Sports day might humiliate you for 1 day of the year, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Yeah, but you need maths for your future life. You don't need to know how to do country dancing or play rounders.

Also, no-one at my school was bullied for being bad at maths and you weren't forced to do it timed in front of the whole class/school whereas this is the case for sport.
    You don't need to be bullied about maths for a weak ability to seriously damage your self-esteem.

ReputationRep:
    We had an inter-form sports day where we would all compete against each other. It was optional, but some forms had to rely on everyone to do an event. My form was made of athletes so on sports day I competed for another form. Never particularly athletic but I did enjoy it, managed to do quite well in the 4 x 100m relay and did okay with shot-put while doing terrible in triple jump. Never felt humiliated, it was more of a laugh with your mates if anything. If you didn't compete you just had to go to lessons instead, which seeing as half the year were competing in sports day was extremely boring. I don't think banning it is the right decision. Taking part is what counts, we cheered on the person last place in the 1500m, not as if we humiliated them or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Sports days are fun.

Just a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Bunk off like everyone else does?

ReputationRep:
    As long as Sports Day does not have parents races, and there are a range of sports to cover the interests of the children, I think it should remain.

ReputationRep:
    Not banned, but optional.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.