Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MattyR2895's gym blog! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    so you're doing stronglifts then?
    Not quite, I'm still barbell rowing every workout, and I'm keeping the chin ups, CGBP and ab work.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday's workout (25/07/14)

Failed on squats @ 135kg, but still managed to increase my reps since Wednesday (5/5/5/4/4), time to reset. Deadlifts went up quite easily @135kg. Press went up harder then I would have liked considering it was only 55kg, but still got 5x5. BB row 70kg 5x5.
    Timed my workout, and it took around 2 1/2 hours including shower and changing. Going to be hard to fit it all in when I go back to uni. Hopefully I'll get lucky with my timetable.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday's workout (28/07/14)

Easy workout since everything is being reset. 120kg on squarts for 5x5. 77.5kg on the bench for 5x5, trying to focus on driving through my legs, which actually takes some practice. Also 5x5 with 70kg on BB row, before BW chins 3x8.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Last 2 workouts went ok, except for a fail on my press @ 57.5kg which I was pissed about, but oh well. I'll try again tomorrow. Bench feels much easier with 80kg then it did a few weeks ago too.
    Picked up some lacrosse balls too, so I'll use them to help with my mobility and flexibility from now on. Also might pick up some magnets, or something I can stick on to the bar to microload on harder lifts like the press.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oops, been forgetting to post here.
    Todays workout went ok. 137.5kg on the squat bar, 3 triples and then 2 doubles. Although a fail, still a pr, and I'm happy for getting 135kg 5x5 last monday.
    145 on the deadlift, 1x5. I recorded, and my back looks like it's rounding a little, so I might upload it and see what you think later.
    51.25 on the press. I used my microloading chains for the first time, felt good, and no strange looks either! Plus 67.5 on the BB row.
    Closing in on 140kg squat, porbably just another couple of weeks until.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is this technique for squatting with a bar correct?

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6n...ature=youtu.be

Also, what exercises could I do to loosen up my hamstrings so that my squats can improve.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Major-TomNeville)
    Is this technique for squatting with a bar correct?

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6n...ature=youtu.be

Also, what exercises could I do to loosen up my hamstrings so that my squats can improve.

Thank you
    Hi, your squats don't look too bad, the depth is fine. Really focus on squeezing your scapula back, basically pulling your shoulder blades together as tight as possible. Also, unless your intentionally doing pause squats, which should only be an assistance to your normal squats, don't pause at the bottom. Reach parallel or lower, and then come straight back up. You should also have safety bars in place in case you fail. I've seen homies get stuck under the bar at the bottom because the safety bars were set too low.
    As for your hamstrings, you're obviously mobile enough to be able to do a squat below parallel, but it can still help to do some mobility exercises before each workout. Search 'flexforall lower body warm up' in to YT. You don't have to do the whole thing before, but pick a few, including ones for the hamstrings and do them before each workout. You could also try squatting w/o any weight as deep as possible and holding it for as long as you can, which will also open up your hips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattyR2895)
    Hi, your squats don't look too bad, the depth is fine. Really focus on squeezing your scapula back, basically pulling your shoulder blades together as tight as possible. Also, unless your intentionally doing pause squats, which should only be an assistance to your normal squats, don't pause at the bottom. Reach parallel or lower, and then come straight back up. You should also have safety bars in place in case you fail. I've seen homies get stuck under the bar at the bottom because the safety bars were set too low.
    As for your hamstrings, you're obviously mobile enough to be able to do a squat below parallel, but it can still help to do some mobility exercises before each workout. Search 'flexforall lower body warm up' in to YT. You don't have to do the whole thing before, but pick a few, including ones for the hamstrings and do them before each workout. You could also try squatting w/o any weight as deep as possible and holding it for as long as you can, which will also open up your hips.
    Thanks for the detailed advise. I will search up those techniques and improve.

Good luck with your routine

ReputationRep:
    Friday's workout (15/08/14)

Failed on squat @137.5kg (4/3/3/3/2), and failed on the bench @ 87.5kg (5/5/5/4/3). I'll reset the squat and have another go at the bench next time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today's workout (20/08/14)

Squats with 125kg, 5x5. Bench fail with 87.5 (5/5/5/4/3). Not too disappointed, after I reset and go back to this weight, I'll only have to get another 3 reps overall. BB rows with 80kg, 5x5.
    Also, noticed some new stretch marks on my shoulders and chest while changing after the workout, so all's going well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *PR and Progress pic time*

Yesterday's workout:
    Squats with 130kg, 5x5. Reletively easy, but I noticed a couple weeks ago that I was leaning forward way too much on the way up due to the weight coming forward a bit on my feet. I've since tried to address it, and although still not perfect, a bit better.
    Bench PR! 87.5kg for 5x5, paused. Got a bit difficult toward the end, but I did it. One step closer to 100kg.

As for the progress pics, can't see a huge difference. Can't see a lot of fat gain from the front, although the love handles in my back are reaching Rosie O'Donnell levels, lol. My stretch marks on my shoulders are coming more pronounced though. Must be doing something right:top:

Edit: King of the Farmers Tan, is I

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    looking huge mate. dem lats especially

ReputationRep:
    looking huge mate. dem lats especially
    thanks man!

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday's workout (22/09/2014)

Finally got 137.5kg on the squat for 5x5, tomorrow I'll be going on to 140kg, should be a good one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today's workout (24/09/2014)
    Finally got to a 140kg squat!
    I was weary of my form, and so I only got 2 sets of 4 and 3 of 3. I probably could have got a couple more, but didn't want too much form breakdown.
    Paused bench w/ 90kg. I don't actually know exactly how many reps I got on my own, because it was difficult to tell if the spotter was touching the bar or not. Either way, I still failed on my 3rd set, b/c I only got 4 on my own for sure. I'll have to reset next time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Today's workout (30/09/14)

Never tell yourself it's going to be easy, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Today was 'supposed' to be an easy workout. After I failed on the squat with 140kg last workout, I reset back down to 125kg, which I thought would be no problem. Although I didn't fail the reps, my form broke down and I was coming forward on to my toes, and leaning forward, which is really irritating considering I've been working to improve my form, and I know I can do better form with a higher weight than today. I even went too low and hit the safety bar on one rep:facepalm:. I'll have to get more focused next time, no matter what the weight is.
    Bench went fine, reset down to 80kg after failing w/90.
    On a positive note, I managed to hit a pr on the BB row, 82.5kg for 5x5. I also did some light deadlifts just to practise my form, b/c I need to work on that too.

Hopefully next workout will go better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Safety bar was too high then

ReputationRep:
    Safety bar was too high then
    No, I have it at the same height each time, which is low enough to allow me to squat to proper below parallel, but still lets me fail safely if I need to. If they were any lower I could get stuck under the bar if I fail.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.