Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Solve this Maths question, or else, you aren't good enough for Oxbridge Watch

ReputationRep:
    Taken from the Legendre's three square theorem page on wikipedia.

In mathematics, Legendre's three-square theorem states that a natural number can be represented as the sum of three squares of integers

n = x^2 + y^2 + z^2

if and only if n is not of the form n = 4^a(8b + 7) for integers a and b.

The first numbers that cannot be expressed as the sum of three squares (i.e. numbers that can be expressed as n = 4^a(8b + 7)) are

7, 15, 23, 28, 31, 39, 47, 55, 60, 63, 71

As trolls go I'd say this was a fairly sophisticated one. However it has the failing that anyone that is willing to attempt this question is more likely to know about the Legendre's three square theorem.

So I give points for intelligence, points for sophisticatedness of the trap but take away points for mis-judging your targets.

All in all I give this a 8/10. Wear it with pride.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Aren't they both contractible and so homotopy equivalent to a point?
    Along with the fact that homotopy equivalence is a genuine equivalence relation, that would certainly do it. I was half-expecting the OP to read what a homotopy was and get some clumsy argument involving weird functions, if he was going to commit to his genius self-title!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAIYEKO)
    Integers, sorry
    There are no integer solutions these are the only solutions... unless you can provides evidence to the contrary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    There are no integer solutions these are the only solutions... unless you can provides evidence to the contrary

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have been given 3 equations for those 3 unknown parameters. There can only be one solution. The solution gives 3 numbers which are not integers. Therefore it's contradiction to say that the equations hold for integers.

ReputationRep:

The closest person yet
    By closest yet you either mean:

(a) I spotted the typo in your question;
    (b) You posted a question with no solutions

ReputationRep:
    The question has no solutions for integers. Many of us have already showed this one way or another. (unless it's a typo, but the OP denied that)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spairos)
    We have been given 3 equations for those 3 unknown parameters. There can only be one solution. The solution gives 3 numbers which are not integers. Therefore it's contradiction to say that the equations hold for integers.
    Are you sure about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyMaths)
    Are you sure about that?
    Isn't it a system of equations or do we treat each equation individually?
    I consider that there is at most one solution given the stated equations. (the one I typed earlier, given that there are no inegers constraints and treating the parameters as exchangeable ones)

ReputationRep:
    I think i know what i wrote
    There are no integer solutions.

ReputationRep:
    There can be multiple solutions. Consider the simpler system

x+y=1
    2x+2y=2
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I consider that there is at most one solution given the stated equations. (the one I typed earlier, given that there are no inegers constraints)
    If (a,b,c) is a solution then so are (a,c,b), (b,a,c) etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)

x+y=1
    2x+2y=2
    But I am talking about the given equations of this question. The second equation of yours is the same as the first one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyMaths)
    If (a,b,c) is a solution then so are (a,c,b), (b,a,c) etc.

I treat them as exchangeable parameters

ReputationRep:
    I think i know what i wrote
    Nobody else does...

ReputationRep:
    But I am talking about the given equations of this question. The second equation of yours is the same as the first one.
    It was a simpler example. There may be 1 solution to the original problem, but you cannot say that just by saying that there are 3 equations in 3 unknowns.

ReputationRep:
    I consider that there is at most one solution given the stated equations. (the one I typed earlier, given that there are no inegers constraints and treating the parameters as exchangeable ones)
    There are 6 solutions in this case, though in some sense they're essentially the same.

If a,b,c are the three numbers you wrote earlier then

(a,b,c), (b,c,a), (c,a,b), (c,b,a), (b,a,c), (a,c,b)

are all solutions.

You may think this a bit of a cop-out so it's worth noting that three equations in three variables can easily lead to no, finitely many or infinitely many solutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    There are 6 solutions in this case, though in some sense they're essentially the same.

If a,b,c are the three numbers you wrote earlier then

(a,b,c), (b,c,a), (c,a,b), (c,b,a), (b,a,c), (a,c,b)

are all solutions.

You may think this a bit of a cop-out so it's worth noting that three equations in three variables can easily lead to no, finitely many or infinitely many solutions.
    Indeed, you are right, I didn't express clearly what I wanted to say (that I was talking about a solution of a set which doesn't have integers and hence there are no integers as solutions because the set doesn't include any and was specifically talking about this system which doesn't have more solutions than this set - that's why I typed 3 values which I didn't set them to be equal to x, y, z).

ReputationRep:
    Scrub-level troll. gtfo

ReputationRep:

x+y=1
    2x+2y=2
    But that is only 1 equation...

ReputationRep:

x+y=1
    2x+2y=2
    We are not in primary school-.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.