Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B693 - Foreign Languages Tuition (Amendment) Bill 2014 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Politisphere)
    My apologies, I meant 'speak Welsh' not 'learn Welsh'. Still, with many public schools shunning Welsh altogether, this 'half GCSE' qualification, Welsh lessons that involve not actual teaching, Welsh lessons with no formal qualification at the end, Welsh lessons with a non-Welsh speaker and a small minimum teaching time, we can hardly say Welsh is a strenuous teaching exercise, effective and benefits the children. Not only has the percentage of Welsh speakers fallen to 19% but the total number of Welsh speakers has also fallen. This bill puts children in Wales at a disadvantage. I suggest in a second reason there is no exception for Wales and the Welsh language is scrapped.
    Agreed. The 'short-course' Welsh GCSE is so pathetic - I was told to writing the oral performance out in phonetics, and learn the phonetics. My Wesh teacher often had to ask other teachers in the department for translations - not ideal! In short - I ended up writing French through about 70% of the Welsh paper, having done my French GCSE a matter of weeks prior to the Welsh paper.
    It needs to be accepted that Welsh is dead, and we need to remove it from the curriculum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattvr)
    Agreed. The 'short-course' Welsh GCSE is so pathetic - I was told to writing the oral performance out in phonetics, and learn the phonetics. My Wesh teacher often had to ask other teachers in the department for translations - not ideal! In short - I ended up writing French through about 70% of the Welsh paper, having done my French GCSE a matter of weeks prior to the Welsh paper.
    It needs to be accepted that Welsh is dead, and we need to remove it from the curriculum.
    Hear, Hear. If this was real life I would campaign for you to be the Education Secretary. Anyone who promises to scrap Welsh and accept it's dead gets my vote. Did you read the article about the school who gave 5 minutes of Welsh teach a week to fulfil requirements. Needless to say the whole thing was pointless as the graduating pupils knew how to say "bore da"

ReputationRep:
    You defend the Welsh government from ruining education in Wales yet go on to place blame in the ever changing primary curriculum and the nonsensical tests pupils need to do. The Welsh government/assembly (both are similar and closely related so the technicalities don't matter here) are responsible for that.
    Comprehensive education is different to primary education, that must be agreed. Personally, I don't think the latter aspects of my education have been failed. But, that's the opinion of a student, not a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Hear, Hear. If this was real life I would campaign for you to be the Education Secretary. Anyone who promises to scrap Welsh and accept it's dead gets my vote. Did you read the article about the school who gave 5 minutes of Welsh teach a week to fulfil requirements. Needless to say the whole thing was pointless as the graduating pupils knew how to say "bore da"

Har har. In jest, I recently wrote a status about if I was Ed. Sec. I would make it compulsory for each candidate to be entitled to a McDonald's (or equivalent) after finishing their series of exams. Of course, that would be stupid to do, as well as political suicide!
    No, I didn't! Honestly, after many years of Welsh lessons, I probably couldn't manage much more than "Where do you live?", "How are you?", What's your name?". It's pretty sad, in reality!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I would like to see that outlawed. I believe the obsession with the Welsh language and constant attempt to social engineer Welsh people so all Welsh newborns are brought up speaking Welsh is detrimental to Wales. A greater emphasis needs to be placed on the important major foreign languages instead of concentrating on a legacy language. Teach Welsh as a classical language similar to Latin. Forget the Welsh nationalists in the process.
    Interesting. I certainly don't agree with this expansion of Welsh-medium education. The people who will benefit are those whose first language is Welsh and they are already in the system. If English is the language of the home then it should really be the language of the school.

The language of the learning is not really that important though, it's the means to an end and it's what is learnt that matters. Hence why it should ideally be the person's first language.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattvr)
    Honestly, after many years of Welsh lessons, I probably couldn't manage much more than "Where do you live?", "How are you?", What's your name?". It's pretty sad, in reality!
    Whereas I picked up the language and am now virtually fluent. Not that I ever really use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Interesting. I certainly don't agree with this expansion of Welsh-medium education. The people who will benefit are those whose first language is Welsh and they are already in the system. If English is the language of the home then it should really be the language of the school.

The language of the learning is not really that important though, it's the means to an end and it's what is learnt that matters. Hence why it should ideally be the person's first language.
    Sometimes the language difference makes advancement in a subject near impossible. Doing A-levels in Welsh and then taking a degree in English (Medicine as an example) is near impossible with the Welsh words having no direct translation. Even more true with technical terms and subject specific terminology.

It would be unfair on those in the system so allow them to see it out but admit no one new. Not supporting Welsh medium education, 'compulsory teaching', public body support and encouragement campaigns would kill of Welsh altogether but is that really a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    If I dont say yay or nay in this thread does that count as me not voting ?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    If I dont say yay or nay in this thread does that count as me not voting ?
    No, you can remain silent here if you have nothing much to say.

What is important is that you vote on this bill when it goes up in the Division Lobby. That is where you can choose aye, nay or abstain.

ReputationRep:
    Oui Ja Yes, as Radiohead once said. I am all in favour of us being able to speak to the local population of the counties/departements that come as part of the UK when the wrongs of the loss of Calais and other territories lost in the middle ages are rectified.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    This has gone to a second reading

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.