Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply...but actually pennine seems to be secured and they have camera security. I donno i chose off campus.its my choice. And i wanted a spacious studio and the on campus accomodations rarely have spacious place.[1QUOTE=Doch;49008828]Hmm leeds residence eg St Marks come with a gym as well including membership to The Edge. It also comes with property insurance, i have heard a lot about the unsafety at Leeds. Off campus sounds nice but when its a student apartment i wouldnt think itd be much different from on campus housing[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Hey peter, i was confused as well. Cz both penine and sky plaza are off campus,and have almost the same features. But pennine is brand new tht why i chose it. And i liked the design of the room
    (Original post by peter2014)
    Hello everyone!
    Starting my MA in International educational management in September - still choosing a residence to live in.
    Looking for something like the pennine house mentioned by Nina. Also looking at Sky Plaza - can't decide
    If anyone has some experience about it - would be great to read about it!
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doch)
    Hmm leeds residence eg St Marks come with a gym as well including membership to The Edge. It also comes with property insurance, i have heard a lot about the unsafety at Leeds. Off campus sounds nice but when its a student apartment i wouldnt think itd be much different from on campus housing
    Unsafety at Leeds? Can you please share some info about this? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doch)
    Its just hearsay. I havent actually lived there, seems like common knowledge amount city dwellers though
    I heard about woodland house :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    We just have to be careful
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi All

Just to let you know that Pennine House has CCTV, Secure Electronic Entry and 24 Hour on call Support to cover your safety and security needs

http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-stud...modation/leeds

ReputationRep:
    Will be studying MSc Organisational Psychology. Seems like a lot of business school postgrads on here! I'll be living in private accommodation in the city centre.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    A little bit more information for you all...

All of our rooms are of a superior design, our studios have a large four-ring ceramic cooking hob and combination microwave oven - and if you book an ultra studio you also get your own personal full size dishwasher as well as a full size fan oven!

If you are a film buff there is a fully equipped cinema room or if you are more of a gym bunny there is also a private residents only gym on site!!

This Saturday we are having a Special Open Day at our Show Flat - why not come along for a tour, a drink and some nibbles?!

Either just pop along to our show flat on Greek Street on Saturday or message me for more details.

http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-stud.../pennine-house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tianqi)
    Unsafety at Leeds? Can you please share some info about this? :eek:
    (Original post by Doch)
    Its just hearsay. I havent actually lived there, seems like common knowledge amongst city dwellers though
    Hyde Park and Headingly are like Butlins. They're both populated by students, old people, asian familes, and young professionals. I don't know what people are talking about when they say these things. There was a brief spate of muggings a couple of years back and of course you expect some level of crime (drunk and disorderly/burglary/theft etc) just as you would expect to find in any town or city, but in three years i've not been involved in any of this, not wiitnessed any of this, and not known anyone else who has either. I moved straight here when I did my undergrad (I was a mature student) and didn't look back. Both H and HP are thriving with independent cinemas, fruit and veg stores, asian stores, supermarkets, bakers, cafe's, loads of great pubs and restaurants and the fantastic Brudenell Social Club music venue. My advice to you about the gossip you hear re. Leeds (presumably Hyde Park/Headingly) is completely ignore it, because these are really pretty safe, fun, vibrant, communal places to live and it would be sad to miss out on living or spending time there because of scare stories and because you think you need a security guard at your residence.

I move back next week for a postgrad and I can't wait!

I Hyde Park

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, "Medical Engineering starting Sep 2014" here!

ReputationRep:
    Postgrad in Applied Translation here, living at Leodis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tianqi)
    St Mark's is only available to postgraduate students (no young undergraduates). Or perhaps another option: Grayson Heights, for postgraduates and mature students
    Thanks. I just received an email from UoL and they are unable to provide me a place in a Uni residence. The thought of having to search for something from scratch really gives me a headache. If anyone has tips + recommendations for private housing (preferably shared), please do let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wyhu)
    Thanks. I just received an email from UoL and they are unable to provide me a place in a Uni residence. The thought of having to search for something from scratch really gives me a headache. If anyone has tips + recommendations for private housing (preferably shared), please do let me know.
    I did reply you to another thread and i asked if you were a postgraduate student and from your reply in this thread i believe you are. You can go check my answer in the other thread however are you sure that they toldyouu they were unable to provide you with an accommodation ? Here is an extract of the email.

"In our previous correspondence we told you we would be able to make you an offer of Accommodation by 20th August. As this date has now passed, we are contacting you to update you on the progress of your application.
    This year we have received an overwhelming number of applications from Postgraduate Students. Some students have already been made and accepted an offer of accommodation. However some students are still awaiting visas etc. and may not have accepted their accommodation offer. We are currently in contact with these students and once we are aware of vacancies, we will be offering them to Postgraduate students.

What Happens Next?

We are still in the process of allocating rooms and although you are not guaranteed accommodation, we hope to be able to make you an offer by 5pm on Friday 29th August, during this time we appreciate your patience. If you cannot wait until 29th August to hear from us then we suggest that you look in the private sector for accommodation.
    "

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I guess we got different emails then. Probably because I didn't apply within the deadline (I'm a EU student). This is what was in my mail:

"Thank you for applying to live in University of Leeds accommodation this year. I am sorry to inform you that, due to the extremely high number of applications that we have received, we are currently unable to offer you University accommodation for the 2014/15 academic year.

I have attached a letter to this email, in which you can find information about private halls of residence and shared houses."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wyhu)
    Hmm I guess we got different emails then. Probably because I didn't apply within the deadline (I'm a EU student). This is what was in my mail:

"Thank you for applying to live in University of Leeds accommodation this year. I am sorry to inform you that, due to the extremely high number of applications that we have received, we are currently unable to offer you University accommodation for the 2014/15 academic year.

I have attached a letter to this email, in which you can find information about private halls of residence and shared houses."
    Yes you are right, really sorry about that. You need to move fast you still have time to find a private accommodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andreascy)
    Yes you are right, really sorry about that. You need to move fast you still have time to find a private accommodation
    No worries. Yeah, I'm really feeling the pressure at the moment, esp. since apparently entire Leeds is nearly booked. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wyhu)
    No worries. Yeah, I'm really feeling the pressure at the moment, esp. since apparently entire Leeds is nearly booked. :confused:
    Dont worry, check private accomodation. Im sure u will find occupancy there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina1990)
    Dont worry, check private accomodation. Im sure u will find occupancy there.
    Thanks, keeping my fingers crossed. Since you mentioned Pennine, I've been keeping an eye out for that as well. Was just wondering whether you know if council taxes are included in Pennine rent? I saw something funny in the sample contract, so now I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wyhu)
    Thanks, keeping my fingers crossed. Since you mentioned Pennine, I've been keeping an eye out for that as well. Was just wondering whether you know if council taxes are included in Pennine rent? I saw something funny in the sample contract, so now I'm not sure.
    As a student u dont pay the coucil taxes. Contact them for more details and check wht lefr do they have, cz they have several options. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina1990)
    As a student u dont pay the coucil taxes. Contact them for more details and check wht lefr do they have, cz they have several options. Best of luck
    I just did, thanks. When are you moving in btw?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.