Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim girl who went to an Islamic faith school... Ask me anything! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themorninglight)
    They did for a while I think, teachers often came and went so what we were taught change a lot. I remember this one teacher who made us recite the bottom 3 surahs of the Qur'an over and over for months even though we already knew them :lol:

Not really, most of our teachers were Asian and couldn't pronounce Arabic very well themselves (I don't mean that in a rude way) so they weren't too strict on pronunciation.

Not particularly

Yes I love it, our school actually used to give us free biryani quite a lot lol. If we ever had a celebration of any sort we always got biryani, no pizza or anything like that
    Haha ok thanks for answering.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, King's to study English language and literature (if I get the grades)
    That's pretty impressive good luck; hope you get the grades. What country are you originally from?

ReputationRep:
    thank you I was born in Wales but my parents originate from Somalia
    What are you going to eat in these final minutes? Decisions decisions...

ReputationRep:
    How many hours sleep do you get on average?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by `God)
    What are you going to eat in these final minutes? Decisions decisions...
    You mean suhoor? There's still about 40 mins left here. What time do you start your fast?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibn Fulaan)
    How many hours sleep do you get on average?
    6 hours I think? Depends on what time I sleep really, these days I usually sleep around 6:30am and wake up at 12:30 in the afternoon. I should really sleep earlier :/ Wbu?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    6 hours I think? Depends on what time I sleep really, these days I usually sleep around 6:30am and wake up at 12:30 in the afternoon. I should really sleep earlier :/ Wbu?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see. Fluctuates between 4 and 10.

ReputationRep:
    How much were the tuition fees?

Was there any emphasis on career focus?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I'm exactly the same I thought I was the only one who couldn't sleep till that late

I went to islamic school till year 8 and when I had to leave to go to a state school I cried becoz I didn't wanna be around boys loool u get so used to jus being around girls that's one of the things I liked best about islamic school

Do you mind me asking which one u went to ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    How much were the tuition fees?

Was there any emphasis on career focus?
    I'd rather not say but they were relatively low compared to other Muslim schools

Lol no, we never received any careers advice or anything like that. The school wasn't advanced enough for that lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not say but they were relatively low compared to other Muslim schools

Lol no, we never received any careers advice or anything like that. The school wasn't advanced enough for that lmao
    Would you say the investment to going to an Islamic faith school paid dividends?

Hypothetically, imagine the alternate option was to go to a state school, alongside after school madrasa.

Also, out of interest, how much of the Qur'an have you memorised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishaahmed96)
    Lol I'm exactly the same I thought I was the only one who couldn't sleep till that late

I went to islamic school till year 8 and when I had to leave to go to a state school I cried becoz I didn't wanna be around boys loool u get so used to jus being around girls that's one of the things I liked best about islamic school

:eek: Sexism!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Sexism!
    Haha give over I'm not sexist :/ I'm used to it now it's jus such a massive change going from an all girls school to a mixed one it took me the rest of my three years of high school to really adjust to being around males lool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha give over I'm not sexist :/ I'm used to it now it's jus such a massive change going from an all girls school to a mixed one it took me the rest of my three years of high school to really adjust to being around males lool
    Fair enough. I know what you mean, I went to an all boys secondary school and the transition to 6th form was 'strange ' to say the least. For the first few months, I was fairly distracted in lessons... you could imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I know what you mean, I went to an all boys secondary school and the transition to 6th form was 'strange ' to say the least. For the first few months, I was fairly distracted in lessons... you could imagine.
    Wow dats cool I've Neva known of a guy going to an all boys school

I think going to all girls school has done me so many favours in terms of how I am around males in real life essentially I've kept away from them and hence stayed out of trouble so win win situation really

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aw bless you haha, I left an Islamic school to go to a mixed school too which was weird to say the least, but I just stayed away from guys really so it went okay. And I'd rather not mention what school it was if that's okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow dats cool I've Neva known of a guy going to an all boys school

I think going to all girls school has done me so many favours in terms of how I am around males in real life essentially I've kept away from them and hence stayed out of trouble so win win situation really
    I never really liked going to an all boys school, although it's also probably done me favours (in terms of religious commitments). We've just hijacked morninglights thread. :cool:

Let's give her back the spotlight.

ReputationRep:
    Aw bless you haha, I left an Islamic school to go to a mixed school too which was weird to say the least, but I just stayed away from guys really so it went okay. And I'd rather not mention what school it was if that's okay

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yh same here it defos helps with that
    So are u excited to go to university ?
    Any plans this summer ?

And no probs I was jus thinking mayb I no u if we went to same one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would you say the investment to going to an Islamic faith school paid dividends?

Hypothetically, imagine the alternate option was to go to a state school, alongside after school madrasa.
    Not sure. Education wise no, but in other ways yes. Not sure what the second question is asking :s

Also, out of interest, how much of the Qur'an have you memorised?
    A few juzz, I'd rather not mention how many. Wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. Education wise no, but in other ways yes. Not sure what the second question is asking :s

A few juzz, I'd rather not mention how many. Wbu?
    Second paragraph was a scenario. I could've made it clearer.

What's with the "I'd rather not tell you"?

I had memorised the 30th Juz a couple years back. Now I forgot most of it, unfortunately.

Another two questions: What do you aspire to be when your older? When are you looking to get married?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.